All member reviews for True Grit

Coen brothers tackle classic Western with wit and brutality.

Adult Written bymoviemadness July 17, 2011

Great Western for OLDER Teens

Parents need to know that True Grit fully deserved its PG-13 rating (and, in my opinion, should have earned an "R"). The film is not only shockingly violent (shootings, hangings, intense peril, the killing of a beloved animal, and a very graphic finger-chopping scene) but tense and scary as well. True Grit perfectly captures the pure lawlessness of the old west. The overall dark and dangerous character of the film combined with the violence makes this a no-go for younger ones. All that said, Mattie's courage and perseverance in seemingly insurmountable circumstances is inspiring. The characters are dimensional and well-acted. The plot is fresh. Altogether, True Grit is a great film for an older audience.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPenguinFan July 11, 2011

Good remake, but has a few flaws

I never saw the original version, but from what I hear this is a pretty good remake, and I agree. The writing, visuals, acting, storytelling, fights and everything are all top notch, and if you like westerns, you'll be in heaven here. But as the critic at heart that I am, I will point out a few things. First, there aren't any really good morals or role models in this movie. The main characters are a teenage girl, who, although independent and very intelligent, will stop at nothing to see the hanging of a man who killed her father, sometimes to the point where it becomes frightening. The marshal is always intoxicated and usually very violent and, although caring at times, isn't a very good role model either. He was also very hard to understand at times, I almost had to turn on the subtitles. The only other problem I noticed was the pacing and lack of enough story to last the whole movie. For the pacing, it really does jump around; at first you're just waiting for something to happen and it's taking awhile, and then so much starts going on you might just have to rewind it to listen to the dialogue again just to catch some important plot points. And the story: it's as though they didn't quite have enough material for the movie, so they had to add in some random stuff for comedic relief I guess, which took up about fifteen minutes had literally nothing to do with the story. I'm not going to detail it, but just watch the movie and you'll know what I mean. So this movie is a fun, enjoyable remake, it has a few problems but nothing that should dissuade anyone from watching. One of the few westerns I actually enjoyed.
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2011

True Grit

This movie is great, Mattie Ross is likeable to almost any age. There are some scenes that will scare almost anybody under 10. There is also some bad language and some verbal and physical abuse to a teenager. Moms and Dads will love this and I strongly encourage to let your child 10 or older to watch this
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 July 6, 2011

One of the best films I have ever seen. Should have won Best Picture over THE KING'S SPEECH.

My rating: PG-13 for sequences of Western violence, a few brutal images, some language, and for drinking.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySchoolgirl14 July 4, 2011

Kids will love Mattie, but not the intense

I loved this movie! I love tough female characters like Mattie Ross! I would, however, watch out for the violence. Some scenes are too intense for younger kids, like when Mattie gets bitten by a rattlesnake or when Rooster Coogburn shots enemies in the middle of the night and shots Labeouf by accident. However, if your child is brave, I reccomend this movie!
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

Drunk western violence

This movie has great role models and messages. It has western violence, but the worst part is when someone gets their fingers chopped off, and then is stabbed. Theres also shooting people from far range, a couple shoot-offs, dead bodies hanging from trees, public hangings, and like I stated, more average western violence. Only other bad thing about it that I can think of is that one of the characters is almost ALWAYS drunk. Aside from that, really good movie.
Adult Written bygreenergere June 20, 2011

no good

this movie is super boring and only adults would like it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byocie14 June 17, 2011

Cool but kinda violent

This movie was really cool. It's not something little kids would like, because the dialogue is kinda hard to follow. It is pretty violent and has lots of heavy stuff: blood, death, shootouts, snakes, corpses, a young girl in peril.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 13, 2011

True Grit is a true wonder!

True Grit is one of the better remakes I have ever seen. Jeff Bridges is excellent in it and so is young Hailee Steinfeld. It has the normal Coen Brothers humor and film technique and stays original at the same time. Nicely-done. Note to parents: The movie contains brief streches of graphic violence and plenty more sylized western violence. Not exactly a family film, but good for teens and up.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2011

True Grit

The Coens tackled, yet another, western. It was amazing. Although a little violent for a PG13. Rooster shoots multiple people, LaBouef shoots a few, throughout the movie there are several disturbing corpses and injuries, which is why this was PG13. The 14 year old can make cigarettes, which Rooster smokes. This was overall an amazing movie, though I recommend no squeamish people watch this.
Kid, 10 years old June 11, 2011

Loved it.

I love this film. My sister who is 6 could handle it but there's a scene where a guy's fingers get cut off so that's why I only put 10+.
Kid, 11 years old June 10, 2011

i

My grandparents told me to close my eyes at one part when they are in the cabin but, when i saw it with my dad.....i forgot, and it wasnt scary at all
Teen, 13 years old Written byJaneEyre<3 June 9, 2011

WONDERFUL.....

This was a VERY good movie. I don't know why everyone's making a big deal about the violence. It didn't strike me as being 15+. Like there's one part,when a guy gets his fingers cut off,and when the guys get hung. There is brief language,but I LOVED Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon,and OF COURSE Hailey Steinfeld!!!! They all did a really good job. Mattie Ross was a good role model,I thought. But if you like westerns, watch it! It is definitely worth the 2 hours. Older tweens appropriate.
Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2011

An awful western!!!

I watched this with my family and it was horrible! It didn't even really make sense!, I say, don't waste your time with this movie. It was pretty violent. I would suggest (Instead of this junk)- Centennial: The Complete Series. A good movie Hope this helped! - Coffeeguy
Kid, 9 years old April 27, 2011

watch the old one

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 7, 2011

I rate this film ON for ages 12+

The good stuff * Messages: The movie's message is that justice can be served in the right hands. Also, that you shouldn't write off a person unless you've truly given him a chance. In this case, Rooster Cogburn proves to be a good bet. * Role models: Mattie Ross is a tough, no-nonsense teenager, and she holds her own among both outlaws and lawmen. Rooster Cogburn might have a very rough exterior, but, when necessary, he's able to tap into a cache of empathy. And LeBeouf is principled, even if his job involves possibly killing (usually villains). That said, there are merciless types here, too. What to watch out for * Violence: Three men are hanged in a public square while a crowd watches; later, another man’s body is shown hanging from a tree (the corpse is cut down and falls heavily to the ground). In one brutal scene, a man's fingers are cut off with a knife and another man is shot in the head at very close range. Lots and lots of additional gunfights, some of which are bloody; slain bodies are on full display. A man is rough with a teenage girl. Lots of peril; some falls and near-falls. * Sex: In one brief scene, a man makes an iffy comment to a teenage girl. * Language: Infrequent use of words like “son of a bi-ch,” “d--n,” "godd--n," and “h--l.” * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, &amp; smoking: A U.S. marshal is almost always soused, even when he’s gunslinging.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAshinthehouse April 1, 2011

Good pretty clean movie but some viloence

It was a good movie really the only problem is violence which isn't too bad expect for one scene where a guys fingers get cut off otherwise it's a good movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddoxis March 23, 2011
Good movie, but a bit too long.
Teen, 16 years old Written byGhostAdventures2435 March 20, 2011

Greatness

Although the violence in the Coen's True Grit it is an amazing piece of work. Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld who is absoultely amazing in this movie i predict many awesome acting performances from her) hires Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Brisdges) to get revenge on her fathers killer. Matt Damon is also in this movie and also did good work. Great acting, great directing, great writing, see it!
Adult Written byPL Hans March 8, 2011

Steinfeld deserved the Oscar!!!

The title makes up my whole rant. Matt Damon and Josh Brolin were excellent, Jeff Bridges and Barry Pepper were amazing, and Hailee Steinfeld was still better!!! The script and cinematography were amazing as well, and the directing was almost as good. The soundtrack is simple, but effective(although I hated the end song). The only concern in my opinion is the violence, which peaks at a semi-graphic scene in which a man's fingers are cut off.