Coen brothers tackle classic Western with wit and brutality.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddoxis March 23, 2011
Good movie, but a bit too long.
Teen, 16 years old Written byGhostAdventures2435 March 20, 2011

Greatness

Although the violence in the Coen's True Grit it is an amazing piece of work. Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld who is absoultely amazing in this movie i predict many awesome acting performances from her) hires Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Brisdges) to get revenge on her fathers killer. Matt Damon is also in this movie and also did good work. Great acting, great directing, great writing, see it!
Adult Written byPL Hans March 8, 2011

Steinfeld deserved the Oscar!!!

The title makes up my whole rant. Matt Damon and Josh Brolin were excellent, Jeff Bridges and Barry Pepper were amazing, and Hailee Steinfeld was still better!!! The script and cinematography were amazing as well, and the directing was almost as good. The soundtrack is simple, but effective(although I hated the end song). The only concern in my opinion is the violence, which peaks at a semi-graphic scene in which a man's fingers are cut off.
Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2011

Good

It was a good movie . I can't remember a curse word in it . There was just one scene where a man's fingers where very visibly cut off and another was shot in the face leaving him dead and bloody.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 6, 2011
true grit is scary!
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byKimClark March 4, 2011

Very entertaining!

Loved the story and so impressed with the determination of a young girl to honor her father.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjobob1097 March 1, 2011

everyone will like it

very violent but a very good movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLibstudent1-10 February 28, 2011

The best movie ever

I loved the movie it was very inspiring. My favroite part is the cookie shoot contest which I found hestarical. I would take a few mature friends to see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAgentBartowski February 26, 2011

True Grit is a true treat for mature teens 13 or older

True Grit is an exceptionally good action adventure film that is ok for mature teens 13 years of age or older. The story follows a young girl named Mattie Ross (an Oscar-nominated and probably winning performance by first-time child-actor Hailee Steinfeld) who hires boozy, down-and-out U.S Marshal Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges, Oscar-nominated for this performance) to track down the drifter (Josh Brolin) who killed her father in cold blood. The film follows the relationship between Mattie and Rooster as they grow closer and become friends. Though there is some blood in the gunfights (and one scene in which a character's fingers are cut off and he is stabbed), True Grit is less bloody than westerns like 3:10 to Yuma and Appaloosa. It is also a better film. Winning performances from all of the actors involved, beautiful scenery, fantastic action sequences and wity dialogue make True Grit a true treat for teens. Parents should keep in mind, however, that Rooster is a big drinker who uses colorful language and kills without remorse (in other words, a bad role model), and a significant character loses an arm as a result of a snake attack. Mature kids 13 or older will have a lot of fun with this film and will be fine with the violence in the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChiman187 February 24, 2011

Best cowboy movie. Better than first.

Saw this in theaters first day it came out very good.
Parent of a 4, 10, and 14 year old Written bygratefuldavid February 19, 2011

Age appropriate for any 14 year old with even half the maturity as Mattie

I saw it Thursday and was thinking of taking my nearly 15 year old daughter to see it. I think she would love the strong willed nature of Mattie and get a few laughs out of Rooster Cogburn. There are some disturbing scenes, not the least of which involves Mattie's horse near the end of the movie. A couple of years ago I let her watch No Country for Old Men which some might feel was ill-advised, but I had to prove to her why it deserved Best Picture over Juno. She agreed. And when she was younger my brother raved that she should watch Oh Brother, so we did and he admitted halfway through the movie that he forgot about how much foul language there was. Still, she loved the movie and did not come away with a potty mouth. Point being that she's well versed in the idiosyncrasies of Coen Brothers movies at this point and would probably fall in love with this movie.
Kid, 11 years old February 18, 2011

Very Violent! but very good!

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Yes it is VERY violent though! I dont think the language is a problom since it isnt too TOO bad but it is VERY Violent. I recommend it for Mature 10 yr olds and up. It also has a VERY good message to it
Kid, 12 years old February 15, 2011

good but violent

it was pretty good but very violent!
Kid, 11 years old February 13, 2011

Had a great story line nd had good action scenes

I liked it but had some boring scenes.It did show some things that made the movie cool but then there are those others.
Kid, 12 years old February 5, 2011
lots of violence, drinking and a bit of swearing. very good, though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMoonman34 January 31, 2011

A great movies for teenagers and those western lovers, but too mature for kids under 13

A very good messaged film, but violence so brutal, its laughable sometimes. If I groaned, winced, covered my eyes and ears, and made genuine barfing sounds, its not good for those under 14.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byabrahm January 30, 2011

TRUE GRIT REVIEW

Adult Written byvwterry January 30, 2011

pushes the PG-13 envelope too far

Wonderfully acted, thought-provoking film, but much too violent for the PG-13 rating. If I have to cover my eyes, I'd say it's too much for a young teenager.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymeg9813 January 30, 2011

good story!

some parts a little too bloody for me(ie. when someone gets their tongue cut out,nasty!) but great movie. good story. not all shooting .
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byameadows January 28, 2011
I love westerns and took my 16 year old to see this. We covered our eyes and cowered: there are hangings, fingers chopped off on a table, a body drug behind horses, horses shot at close range....for starters. WHY is this PG 13?