All member reviews for True Grit

Coen brothers tackle classic Western with wit and brutality.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLibstudent1-10 February 28, 2011

The best movie ever

I loved the movie it was very inspiring. My favroite part is the cookie shoot contest which I found hestarical. I would take a few mature friends to see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAgentBartowski February 26, 2011

True Grit is a true treat for mature teens 13 or older

True Grit is an exceptionally good action adventure film that is ok for mature teens 13 years of age or older. The story follows a young girl named Mattie Ross (an Oscar-nominated and probably winning performance by first-time child-actor Hailee Steinfeld) who hires boozy, down-and-out U.S Marshal Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges, Oscar-nominated for this performance) to track down the drifter (Josh Brolin) who killed her father in cold blood. The film follows the relationship between Mattie and Rooster as they grow closer and become friends. Though there is some blood in the gunfights (and one scene in which a character's fingers are cut off and he is stabbed), True Grit is less bloody than westerns like 3:10 to Yuma and Appaloosa. It is also a better film. Winning performances from all of the actors involved, beautiful scenery, fantastic action sequences and wity dialogue make True Grit a true treat for teens. Parents should keep in mind, however, that Rooster is a big drinker who uses colorful language and kills without remorse (in other words, a bad role model), and a significant character loses an arm as a result of a snake attack. Mature kids 13 or older will have a lot of fun with this film and will be fine with the violence in the movie.
Adult Written bygbtate February 26, 2011

Great acting in anyone's book (More Added, June 9)

A superb movie if you love good acting. Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld work to make a believable picture of the book. Frankly, this is much more enjoyable than the John Wayne original (this coming from a John Wayne fan)... and left me cheering for a bygone anti-hero. Can a scoundrel become a real life hero?... Even if you don't want to believe, be prepared to anyway, if you go to see this. ADDED 6-9-2011: I see that many reviewers were focused on the cut-off finger thing. Too bad... it was short, effectively shot and then on to the rest of the story. I think what many reviewers failed to see is this... that innocence and a sense of morality need not be compromised by violent situations or people. Mattie is forthright, capable and tenacious. But even in the end, her allowance for good, even in the worst of men, plays itself out in the end. If one is seeking a role model, take a look at any of the main characters in this story, set aside your preconceptions (as well as your view of the finger thing) and find what Mattie found. You'll enjoy this story a whole lot more.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChiman187 February 24, 2011

Best cowboy movie. Better than first.

Saw this in theaters first day it came out very good.
Adult Written bybabatopenot February 22, 2011

Worth seeing at least once.

Even better than the original. Had a few moments of unnecessary gore which felt out of place—fingers get cut off, a man gets shot through the head at point blank range and his blood splatters on Cogburn’s face, after the ranger’s mouth gets injured, the Marshall reaches in and starts tugging on something bloody (not sure what his purpose of this last one was, but it was difficult to watch none the less). All these things happen quickly and if you kid has a strong stomach for blood (as most boys do these days) it would probably be a fine choice even if they are younger than 16. The slow pace of the movie means that older children will find it more interesting.
Parent of a 4, 10, and 14 year old Written bygratefuldavid February 19, 2011

Age appropriate for any 14 year old with even half the maturity as Mattie

I saw it Thursday and was thinking of taking my nearly 15 year old daughter to see it. I think she would love the strong willed nature of Mattie and get a few laughs out of Rooster Cogburn. There are some disturbing scenes, not the least of which involves Mattie's horse near the end of the movie. A couple of years ago I let her watch No Country for Old Men which some might feel was ill-advised, but I had to prove to her why it deserved Best Picture over Juno. She agreed. And when she was younger my brother raved that she should watch Oh Brother, so we did and he admitted halfway through the movie that he forgot about how much foul language there was. Still, she loved the movie and did not come away with a potty mouth. Point being that she's well versed in the idiosyncrasies of Coen Brothers movies at this point and would probably fall in love with this movie.
Kid, 11 years old February 18, 2011

Very Violent! but very good!

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Yes it is VERY violent though! I dont think the language is a problom since it isnt too TOO bad but it is VERY Violent. I recommend it for Mature 10 yr olds and up. It also has a VERY good message to it
Kid, 12 years old February 15, 2011

good but violent

it was pretty good but very violent!
Kid, 11 years old February 13, 2011

Had a great story line nd had good action scenes

I liked it but had some boring scenes.It did show some things that made the movie cool but then there are those others.
Kid, 12 years old February 5, 2011

lots of violence, drinking and a bit of swearing. very good, though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMoonman34 January 31, 2011

A great movies for teenagers and those western lovers, but too mature for kids under 13

A very good messaged film, but violence so brutal, its laughable sometimes. If I groaned, winced, covered my eyes and ears, and made genuine barfing sounds, its not good for those under 14.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byabrahm January 30, 2011

TRUE GRIT REVIEW

Adult Written byvwterry January 30, 2011

pushes the PG-13 envelope too far

Wonderfully acted, thought-provoking film, but much too violent for the PG-13 rating. If I have to cover my eyes, I'd say it's too much for a young teenager.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymeg9813 January 30, 2011

good story!

some parts a little too bloody for me(ie. when someone gets their tongue cut out,nasty!) but great movie. good story. not all shooting .
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byameadows January 28, 2011

I love westerns and took my 16 year old to see this. We covered our eyes and cowered: there are hangings, fingers chopped off on a table, a body drug behind horses, horses shot at close range....for starters. WHY is this PG 13?
Teen, 16 years old Written bycr0ft January 28, 2011

its not really sexual. its that im sure that a child doesnt want to see a girl get slapped in the rear by a stranger
Teen, 13 years old Written bythedigitalmastermind January 27, 2011

Great flick, although quite grisly

I LOVE this film! It is one of the Cohen bros. best flicks! it is also, however, dark, gritty, and sometimes quite disturbing. **SPOILERS**: There is a short fight scene where a man has his fingers gruesomely cut off and another man is shot in the head with a pistol, blood is shown on the wall behind him.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymarmary January 22, 2011

ok for older kids if they can handle very grafic, brutal scenes

the grafic parts were even too much for me as a parent. I could not beleive the PG-13 rating given for this movie.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byBret Friend January 22, 2011

Not too bad

Good but original is better.
Adult Written bykhan2705 January 22, 2011

just superb. stylish and very good.

4.5/5 A tough U.S. Marshal helps a stubborn young woman track down her father's murderer. ok so everyone had a lot of expectations from this movie, being a Coen Brothers film and a remake of a good movie. and yes everyone including me loved it. its a great western drama with comedy in it and less action too. slow moving with great performances. this movie have been made exactly the right way, i loved the way its been made i mean just outstanding. Coen brothers knows it all i like there style of film making. it has this classic feel to it. the big and absolutely unbelievable surprise in this movie is the young actress Hailee Steinfeld, yes i am gonna talk first about her and no one else. she is absolutely wonderful, kind of a young mature woman feel to her. everything she did in this movie is with great perfection and with great genius and sheer gifted talent. she is excellent mind blowing and just a potentially great actress. her dialogue delivery is amazing. Jeff Bridges is good too, he did a good job but not great or excellent, i don't think he deserves Oscar nomination, he could have been better but still good. his western accent if he toned it down a bit would have been good. Josh Brolin not seen much is good, Matt Damon was ok. acting wise not excellent but good. Steinfeld steals the show. direction of this movie is just excellent, good editing and screenplay is awsome. cinematography is out of this world. art and costume direction is good. good background score and everything is perfect.