All member reviews for True Grit

Coen brothers tackle classic Western with wit and brutality.

Teen, 13 years old Written bythedigitalmastermind January 27, 2011

Great flick, although quite grisly

I LOVE this film! It is one of the Cohen bros. best flicks! it is also, however, dark, gritty, and sometimes quite disturbing. **SPOILERS**: There is a short fight scene where a man has his fingers gruesomely cut off and another man is shot in the head with a pistol, blood is shown on the wall behind him.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymarmary January 22, 2011

ok for older kids if they can handle very grafic, brutal scenes

the grafic parts were even too much for me as a parent. I could not beleive the PG-13 rating given for this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNaya B. January 20, 2011

Loved it! But maybe thats just me....

Ok, personally I love action movies and this had a good mix of action that wasnt even as graphic as most movies. Of course, there were scenes that had some "should I close my eyes?" parts, but in the end it was just fine, and nothing was ever spooky, just violent. But, I do recomend it too only teens (13+..maybe 12+) and adults. Kids probably wouldnt like to see some of the hangings or shootings. Another positive thing about it is the girl character. She was very strong and had an attitude that I wish most girls had these days. She didnt let people push her around and followed what she knew what was right. Sometimes she thought she knew more than she did, but always learned. Overall, this movie was a great country film.
Parent of a 11, 14, and 17 year old Written bymom of 5 January 16, 2011

This movie is very graphic. I had to close my eyes several times.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

good movie

good movie
Kid, 12 years old January 11, 2011

GREAT

Great movie and funny
Parent of a 11 year old Written byavrilnyc January 10, 2011

The Ratings system is crazy. This should not have been rated PG13. There are hangings, murders, and chopping off fingers!! It's an OK R-rated movie, not a PG13 movie
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byKFranklin January 9, 2011

For 15+

True Grit is a movie I'd like to take my 9 year old daughter to but I don't think she'd like it. The images of death and violence would haunt her and drown out all the messages of strength, determination, family and trusting in oneself embodied in Mattie Ross. I would like my daughter watch Mattie cross a deep river on her beautiful new horse, and make it to the other side while two men sit on their horses and watch. She succeeds without their help. The scenery, the equal trust that develops between Mattie, a one-eyed sheriff, and a Texas bounty hunter is at times humorous and truthful. Mattie Ross could show my daughter what smart can look like; what fearlessness might feel like; what it means to be determined to do something. If my daughter was 15 I think she could handle the violence until then, I look forward to seeing similar movies that celebrate smart heroes.
Adult Written byJonathan the Bellboy January 6, 2011

The female lead is smart, strong, and non-sexualized. If the grown men around her are less than entirely ideal, she is able to see their virtues and work with them. It offers opportunities for families to discuss the violence in the film and aspects of history. Ours may have been the only family in a packed theater, but I consider this fine picture for my 8 and 11 year-old filmgoers.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydavidgpsp January 4, 2011

I absolutly loved this movie it was brutally funny (get it) the whole theature was laughing but there was some violence and there were some parts that made me sqirm but you and your teens will enjoy this this is my first western and i thought i would not like it but it's one of my favorite movies of 2010 including the other guys and inception
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 2, 2011

Hailee Steinfeld is amazing!

A few bloody images are all that should concern parents about this well-made film that doesn't quite best the classic 1969 version with John Wayne. Jeff Bridges delivers well as old Rooster, Matt Damon's part was insignificant, but Steinfeld really gave an excellent performance as the determined Mattie Ross to find her father's killer. The movie is a straightforward western and one of the best films of 2010. I hope Hailee wins an Oscar!
Teen, 14 years old Written byjohnwayneduke January 1, 2011

not as good as JW's

it really is not as bad as john waynes one. both roosters were drunk the difference between the violence is there is more blood no sex at all. rooster is heroic but way too drunk for a role model otherwise fine
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovielover45 December 31, 2010

A masterpiece that should get an oscar nod!

true grit is a movie of passion, power and a grudge that gets its way. This movie is astounding. simply put. The movie is not for anyone under the age of 12, not because of the violence or sex or language. It's because of the depth of the diologe that you must concertrate to get the meaning of this film. The story is top notch and this film is better than the orginal John Wayne film. The violence is very sudden and sometimes graphic espicallly one scene in a house that parents should caution about. Otherwise, there's alot of shooting, some hanging from afar and some roughness with a child. Sex is just a quick comment that is hardly something to be mad about. The language is grand for a coen bros movie, only the d word, hell and SOB that I could pick up. See this movie if you appreciate movies like I do so sit back, relax and enjoy the art of movies :)
Adult Written bybradandamy December 30, 2010

Good remake.

The violence is graphic, but not excessive in my opinion.
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2010

Great remake

when i saw in the theaters there was a lot of humer i did not under stand but a few parts that i did under stand made me laugh. alot of brief smoking and drinking rooster gets drunk and tries to prove hes a good shot and tries to shoot a whisky bottle and misses most of his shots (funny) violence is short but one seen is a little disturbing when the guy has his fingers chopped off and then stabed
Kid, 12 years old December 29, 2010

Perfect Remake of an Old Classic

I loved this movie. It was actually pretty witty and funny. A lot of swearing and violence though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoatsandhorses December 26, 2010

Lots of blood

I thought that this movie was very good. But, there was a lot of violence and blood.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRainy Day December 23, 2010

Just Enough Grit

"True Grit" is the equivalent of the action-adventure family film as told through the Coens' trademark lens of black humor and occasional bursts of violence. In other words, it's like Little House on the Prairie took a detour through No Country for Old Men. The little girl, played by Hailee Steinfeld, is perfect in her role as a 14-year-old daughter who grew up to fast in the wake of her father's murder. Matt Damon is just as brilliant as the Texas Ranger she teams up with to catch the murderer. Rounding out the cast is Jeff Bridges, who is pretty entertaining as Rooster Cogburn, though his dialogue seemed to get pretty garbled and unintelligible in parts. Content-wise, there are some graphic images I wouldn't recommend kids see: we see a man gets four of his fingers chopped off, a man get stabbed in the heart, a dead man get his eye eaten out by a bird, a man shot point blank in the face while his blood splatters on the adjacent wall. There's also a bit of tobacco use, and mild language. I definitely think that this is a good film, perhaps not the Coens' best, but always worth checking out instead of Little Fockers or Gulliver's Travels. I think twelve year olds will be able to handle it, and I urge them along with anyone older to go see it. It's not the boring Western you think it is.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBrando804 December 22, 2010

The Coens have done it again!

This film was brilliant. The acting i'd have to say was the most impressive. The second most impressive thing is the witty script and cinematography. Although it had less action than I thought it would, when there was action (although brief) was quite brutal and bloody.......for a PG-13 AND a Coen brothers movie. If you like westerns, or the Coen brothers, or the book: See this movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News December 20, 2010

Coen Brothers' remake may be PG-13 but has R-rated violence.

The majority of the Coen Brothers' films are rated R for their strong language and graphic depictions of violence. This remake of the John Wayne classic has a lot of the blood and violence seen in a movie like No Country for Old Men. That being said, it's brief, so it isn't nearly as bad. Still, there are plenty of disturbing and messed up images that should make parents cautious of taking their kids to the cinema with them.