All member reviews for Turbo

Speedy snail dreams big in fun animated comedy.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySean Broucek July 16, 2013

Good.

Parents, this fun animated comedy from the director of "Despicable Me" has plenty of positive messages and some peril to entertain kids, but the more intense subject matter and peril makes it best for kids above the age of 7. Violence is almost nothing, except for one intense action sequence that will upset sensitive kids, especially in 3D format. No sexuality. Language is limited to some brief crude humor. In the end, this laughable family-friendly comedy is best for kids 7 and up. Rated PG For Thematic Elements, Some Brief Crude Humor, And An Intense Action Sequence.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byBabbit July 20, 2013

It's a kids movie afterall...

TURBO is actually a kids movie, for kids, with a happy ending, a positive message, and limited scares (not sure the crows would rank as scary). It's a simple story with simple yet, motivated and passionate characters, characters we can relate to... I think the 'speed' of the movie is just right. We keep pushing the bar on excitement and action so high that kids can't actually digest moments in movies. This movie can be digested. You shouldn't find any moments needing the dodge. You won't need to walk your kids out because the scary is too scary. After the movie you can pick a message to discuss; never giving up, being supportive of a dreams even if you don't agree with the dreamer, building your dream not matter what others say. Kudos to DreamWorks for staying kid focused because the kids are the audience, not teenagers or parents.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySamlovesz July 17, 2013

Looked funny but very disappointing.

I saw this movie Today. With all the commercials and hype I've been hearing on TV for the last 2 months I was very disappointed. This movie looked really appealing and funny, it was kid friendly but not very funny for adults. It had many jokes kids would laugh at but over all it just didn't make sense at all. Overall the movie was very unorganized and not what I expected. I'm very disappointed.
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2013

Surprisingly really good!

I didn't think that this would end up being that great, especially after reading a lot of these reviews (Thanks, guys). But this was really good! The actors/actresses were really great and I think that all of the voices really fit the characters. It actually had a lot of suspense, ESPECIALLY A TON at the end. Of course, because at the end (SPOILER ALERT) is the race, so... yeah. (END OF SPOILER) Obviously Turbo is the role model with the message being that everyone should always follow their dreams. There isn't really any violence that I can remember, but there is definitely scary-ness. Such as, as seen in all previews, the car scene. Where Turbo gets his super powers. That in surround sound...and 3D...wow. The only sex related thing at all is at the end when (SPOILER ALERT...again) that girl snail and Chet are flirting, and the girl snail is chewing gum and showing her teeth in that way...so, yeah. (SPOILER ENDS) The consumerism is very minor, where that taco guy's main reason, it seems, to have Turbo be in the Indianapolis 500 is so that they can get a lot of money. It's to help Dose Bros Tacos (or whatever it's called), but still. The only drinking I wasn't sure if I was right or not. But I believe that the old lady and that Valley Hobby guy may have been drinking beer when they were celebrating, while the taco guy and the mechanic lady were just drinking coffee or something in a mug. Overall, this movie was really very good, suspenseful, and interesting. Enjoy! Smiley face.
Kid, 10 years old July 20, 2013

Best family movie of the summer!

It is really good and shows you can accomplish big things. I recommend this for kids of almost any age. Good role models and positive messages. Really good plot. I think it is more kid friendly than "Despicable Me 2"
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 July 25, 2013

Disappointing

I wasn't sure what to expect from turbo. I love dreamworks, but their last film "the croods" was unfunny and boring. Mostly the same as turbo. I'm always in the mood for immaturity in kids movies but this went over the limits of immature, like Lucy in Despicable me 2 (other than that despicable me 2 was hilarious). Younger kids might find the indy 500 scene too intense for some youngsters probably under the age of 4. Maybe kids 8 or 7 and under will enjoy it but for ages 9 or 10+ skip it because you are more than likely to walk out of the theater thinking why you spent money on this. Ages 4-8. Grade D+
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2013

Turbo in the Words of My Brother

This review is written by my six-year-old brother. (Spoiler alert!) "It was sad at one point because all the cars bumped into each other and all of the race cars ran out of gas and smoke came out of them and a racer came out of his car and broke off the snail's shell and he still had his thing that makes him fast and he finished the race before the guy that took off his shell. The movie was good because he won the race, because Turbo won the race.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd July 19, 2013

snail+racing = weird

Maybe I'm getting old but personally turbo wasn't really that funny or rememberable
Parent of a 7 year old Written bybunnie911 July 25, 2013

Never give up on your dreams

Asked my 7 yo. daughter what was the main idea of the movie. She said, "Never give up on your dreams". She was highly entertained and she got the uplifting message. For that I rate it highly.
Kid, 11 years old July 24, 2013

Cool animated adventure has mild violence.

Anyone who is 7 years old or older will be just right for this enjoyable animated comedy from DreamWorks. A car crash occurs, but does not push the boundaries for its PG rating. Turbo gets caught inside a car and drinks a fluid that makes him fast. Some cartoon action. No language or sex.
Adult Written bycourtwork November 30, 2013

5 Stars in the family friendly category

This movie is cute and fun. I give it 3.5 stars (good) for overall quality, and 5 stars in the family friendly category. Reviews here helped me select this film for family movie night with kids ages 7 and 10, and we all enjoyed it. This film is appropriate for all ages. It entertains while omitting the demeaning cheap shots and sexualized characters and content that spoil so many other films intended for kids. Rent or buy this one and enjoy it with the whole family.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bycarobear July 29, 2013

great for Cars and racing fans

I was a little worried going into this movie because I didn't know a lot about it, other than it was about racing and supposed to be age-appropriate for my child (based on friends' comments). I thought it was cute and entertaining, though, and my son LOVED it...enough so that we're going to see it again. Cons: There are several parts where crows grab a snail, and a little boy squishes a bug with his tricycle, but nothing majorly alarming. There's also a part where a snail is squashed by a car wheel which I think could have been left out. I found out later that scene is in one of the preview trailers, so if you're concerned, you could take a look before going to see the full movie. Pros: heartwarming, funny characters. The "snail crew" is fabulous! Lots of "cool racing stuff" as my son put it. Positive messages, and a fun soundtrack. Overall, I highly recommend it!
Parent of a 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old Written byILoveMYKids3333 August 26, 2013

Turbo Is The Family Movie!

I took my 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old and my husband to see this. we all loved it 5/5! Good Plot and story line! it has a positive message, never stop believing! Turbo is cute!
Kid, 11 years old July 26, 2013

snail+racing= sounds intresting

i liked this movie quite a bit, the animation looked amazing and good voice actors. there is one point of the movie where there drinking beer but no smoking or other drugs. the movie has a good moral and that is to never give up and to go for the goal and other stuff of that sort. there is a few point's where some of the characters are in danger or hurt. this moving at some point's i felt that the only point of this movie was to teach kids lessons about stuff like bullying, and that's not really a bad thing but Dreamworks does not usually do that kind of thing. Dreamworks movies are not as good as they used to be sometimes but that does not mean all the new ones are bad. i would not say this movie was terrible but it was not amazing like some Dreamworks movies are. overall I enjoyed this movie and got what i expected mostly, im also really glad that there's only one snail pun in the movie. unlike cloudy with a chance of meatballs and there food puns and im sure that there is tons more to come from what i saw in the trailer for the second one. well hope i helped you decide if your going to see this with or with out kids etc.
Kid, 10 years old July 26, 2013

Amazing!

Awesome movie! Funny and makes me happy. Little sexuality. Some toilet humor. Turbo dreams to be in the Indie 500 and later falls into a car and is made super fast. Friends and family don't help Turbo, "crushing" his dreams. He keeps going and he comptes in he race. Good, clean message.
Kid, 11 years old July 31, 2013

okay

its okay.you can see it once.worst movie
Teen, 13 years old Written bydanielvasquezgimaikl July 26, 2013

Funny, and Cute but it has some Stereotypes Characters but Fun for all ages

Kid, 12 years old February 8, 2015

ALL

Contains very mild comic threat and humor.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew September 16, 2014

Dreamy snail race car movie is adorable

My rating:PG for rude humor and mild action
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2014

Dumb Family Comedy by Disney with a Positive Message

Turbo is an animated family comedy about a snail that wants to race (NASCAR--I believe). He receives some magical power or something that makes him fast and wins the race. Personally, I think Disney could've done better. I was very disappointed with this movie. I thought it was very unrealistic. Therefore, the movie didn't make a lot of sense. The ideas were unorganize and all over the place. I prefer a movie with events that can happen. A snail winning a race against cars is not realistic. Some families may find this a very cute story, though. The snail is a great role model. He shows that you need to work hard to achieve your goals, have self-confidence, and never give up. These messages are very important for children of all ages, especially since children struggle with this. There is very mild cartoon violence in this movie. I think a child could handle it. I recall a scene where the snail nearly gets squished and there is some competitive violence during the race towards the end. Sex really isn't an issue, except for the innuendo. In one part of the movie, the snails are saying someone or something has nice curves. You find out it is actually a tomato. This will go over your child's head, though. There is a decent climax in this movie. It won't attract the older crowd, though.