All parent member reviews for Twilight

Parent of a 3, 7, and 10 year old Written bykbttexas@yahoo.com January 24, 2009

Great storyline for someone old enough to not be impressionable

I very much enjoyed the books. I also enjoyed the movie. I have 3 daughters. It did concern me very much that the main character, Bella, was willing to give up everything, her innocence, her faith, and even her life, for a boy (or so she thought). I understand love and I understand teenage emotions, but I don't think a young girl reading the story, forming her impressions, thoughts, and ideals about dating and men, would be positively influenced by Bella's choices. Because in truth, regular boys are not immortal and not ever worth giving up your innocence, your faith, or certainly your life. No person, boy, man, girl or woman is worth that, and I want to caution parents to be aware that these books could desensitize our daughters. In truth, our self respect and values are still a huge deal. Hold tight to them!
Adult Written bycamillef January 23, 2009

The best "B quality" movie I've seen

It's a love story. Plain and simple. Appropriatly done for the tween scene. And if it inspires kids to read the books that's all the better. Heck, I think Edward is hot too!
Adult Written byjuly4mom2000 January 15, 2009

I loved it!

It was good, pretty true to the book. I saw it right after reading Twilight and New Moon so I could pick out the differences right away but all in all it was still good.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 13 year old Written bymotherbearof3 January 13, 2009

Parents need to know their kids for both the books & films

As a vampire fan from way back, and after hearing my 13 yo son talk about how the girls in his class were all about the movie, I was intrigued with the Twilight series and bought the first book to read before I saw the movie. It's an easy read -- not like the Harry Potter series where you have to learn a whole new vocab. To me, it also read like a classic romance, i.e., Romeo and Juliet, Jane Eyre, where things like age aren't taken into consideration as much as they are today as much as maturity of the characters. I saw the movie over the Christmas holiday when my sister was visiting from Miami. Her dh and my son declined the privelege and sought another movie in the cineplex. We both loved it. I agree with one other reviewer that Bella was a little too naked in her bedroom. The book always describes her as in her sweats or in pajamas that I always took to me she was decently covered. I also agree with the reviewer who said in the movie the kissing was more intense than in the book. Edward is much more controlled and a gentleman in the books. This first movie is more than appropriate for 13 year olds. I don't think I'd take a child younger than that only because girls these days get so much boy/girl stuff thrown at them as it is. That being said, I have also read the rest of the series and while Stephanie Meyers does an admirable job of keeping the romance and sexual tension at a young adult level ***SPOILER ALERT*** until Bella and Edward get married, once they are, there are several, while not explicitly graphic sexual scenes, ones that as a parent I don't necessarily think are appropriate for 13-14 yo's. So I don't know if I would let my daughters read all the books until they were older. Maybe. They are only 5 and 6 right now. I don't know what their maturity level is going to be when they get there. I am very curious to see how all the books play out as screenplays. That is why the title of my review is that parents need to know their kids for both the big screen versions and the books -- as well as see and read them for themselves.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bykierscm January 13, 2009

Great book, good movie.

I think both movie and books are fantastic. I saw this movie with my 12 year old niece who is also reading the books. I read A LOT of horror fiction, and this is a sweet love story about high school kids. As for sexual content, for the first 3 books it is kept to kisses. By the the 4th book they are married before anything more happens. No sex before marriage? Good example if you ask me.
Adult Written bydaylilly January 13, 2009

great book, not for kids

The book is a great one for romantics! However, it isn't for young girls. The last 3 books especially have more adult content. The movie was pretty terrible, but if my 14 year old wanted to see it, I'd let her - but I wouldn't let a child under that age see it and especially wouldn't let her read the books. Glad to hear they got a new director! Hopefully the next movie will be worth seeing!
Adult Written byShadowphaze January 13, 2009

A very good film, I will need to read the book.

This is a very good movie that I would deffinetely see as a movie a teenager could see. I know there is some concern w/ how this movie portrays a teenager in love. I would like to comment that, from my experience w/ my own parents that not every child can be treated the same. Some teenagers this would be good for and others may not be ready for it yet. This movie is about a very real young women in a fictional situation. She makes decisions based on a situation that no teenager today would actually face. If someone is not able to understand this then they should not see this movie. If they can then they will enjoy this movie greatly.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byCarletta Smith January 13, 2009

So Romantic!!!

I saw this moview with my 31 year old daughter and my 11 year old grandaughter. We all loved the film. I was a sceptic thinking that I was going to be sitting in a movie theater with screaming tweens. I was so engrossed in the film I didn't even notice anyone else. After the movie my daughter and I both agreed that we had just watched one of the best love stories ever. Nothing in the movie made me feel uncomfortable about sitting with my 11 year old grandaughter. The physical side of love was all left to the imagination. My grandaughter has read all the books and we are both anxiuosly awaiting the release of the sequel. I think that 11 is a good age to see the movie but, like everything else, parents have to make that decision based on the maturity level of their own child. I loved the movie.
Adult Written byskittlesfairy87 January 12, 2009

"Twilight is okay for 13+ but..."

Twilight was a well written book and a nice movie, but the next book is way too depressing for young teens. yes Bella's in a dark place at the time, but i just feel that the first book may miss lead parents into thinking all the other books are for 13 and younger. other then that i think that Twilight was good.
Adult Written byxlena January 7, 2009

pretty good

I think this was a very good movie, but it's just not possible to make one as good as the book.
Adult Written bymasqueradegirl December 21, 2008

Very Romantic, Sweet, and Violent(in a good way) Movie

A few things were off. Like when they were olaying baseball and Rosalie pushed Bella out of the way instead of Edwardand the Cullen's house. It was supposed to be oldfashoned, NOT modern. At one point Bella practically atacked Edward when they kissed.
Adult Written bymusic724 December 5, 2008

it depends...

I read the books... and i loved the movie if you didnt read the book... you will probably find it stupid... oh yeah it gets a little violent... so my advice, no child under 8
Adult Written byErnest Stephens December 4, 2008

Simply Complicated Love Story

Twilight is the blockbuster hit based on Stephanie Meyers bestselling novel. The plot of this over popular drama circles around the complicated love story of Edward Collins and Bella Swan. One might ask what’s so complicated? Well she is a 17 year old from Phoenix who reluctantly moves to live with her dad in Forks Washington. Edward is 107, tormented, slightly schizophrenic and a vampire. The plot continues to thicken with each character that is added. Native Americans who refuse to allow the Collins family onto their reservation, three vampires who drink human blood (the Collins only eat animals) and start a bloody rampage, Bella’s schoolmates and then environmental factors the small town dynamic and peer pressure. Now all you have to do is throw in cupid, amazing special effect and artistic filming and you should be able to get the picture. The movie is a refreshing twist on the old vampire tales. It is thoroughly entertaining and with a cute set of actors it’s not surprising it’s such a popular hit.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bymburdell. November 30, 2008

i was like awww the whole time

it was the most romantic movie
Parent Written bykimcsw November 29, 2008

Must see, but not as good as the book!

40% of the movie is wasted on a storyline that is not in the book that adds to the violence of the movie, which are serial killings rocking the town of Forks. So if you read the book and are a purist you will be disappointed on all the attention away from the actual book's storyline which was Bella and Edward's blossoming romance and the background mythology of the new world Stepanie Meyer created. Still a must see movie for older children and adults. You will enjoy!
Adult Written bynfreed November 28, 2008

suprisingly good

I watched Twilight with my 9yo daughter and we both enjoyed it. The main objection I had to the book- the sexism & angry controlling behavior by Edward- was nearly absent here- the producers correctly realized that Edward as written would come off as abusive and creepy, not romantic. Bella is also improved over her book version, she fights back when attacked and even has a short line encouraging her friend to be an independant and strong woman. All in all an improved version of the story, totally appropriate for tweens.
Adult Written bytiffanr_45690 November 24, 2008

it was amazing

i think the movie was great but it would have been better it it was just like the book titale to titale you know what i mean right
Adult Written byshelbydanielle November 22, 2008

Loved it..

Okay so I've read all the Twilight books and yes the movie is different but I did enjoy it. Dont focus on the book when watching it and you will really enjoy it aswell. Edward truly dazzled. It was great.
Adult Written byChrissy505 November 21, 2008

Awesome

This was such an amazing movie. Judging by the adds I thought the movie would be pretty bad and the Edward would be ugly but he was actually a little hot! The movie is now one of my favorite movies ever now and there'd better be a sequel.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byemmalea37 November 21, 2008

I thouth that the movie was the best that i have ever seen.

I loved it and i would go see it agian and i hope that she does the rest of the books and i'm reading the books to.