Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail

Same old Madea jokes served up in yet another morality tale.

Adult Written byTEACHABLE September 21, 2018

Love Tyler Perry

Genius incorporating topics in a funny yet enlightening lessons with Christian principles to fall upon.

Adult Written byThomsin August 18, 2018

Major themes are Prostitution, Rape, Drugs, and living on the streets.

This was rated PG-13 and it is available on Hulu so started it with my 8 year olds. Had to turn it off. It is completely focused on a couple of prostitutes who are beaten and raped. Like you can’t just skip over it. It’s on screen nonstop. They stand around talking about being prostitutes for like 25 minutes. Unless you are ready to discuss prostitution and rape with your kids, skip this one. The drug thing didn’t bother me as much, but yeah, marijuana, heroine and cocaine are also major themes in the movie. Definitely Not for preteens.

Adult Written bydavidrox January 25, 2013

HILARIOUS

HILARIOUS! I LOVED IT. madea is sassy and has intense anger issues. and they continue to escalate. however, it is also a drama, and contains some strong themes of rape and prostitution. the language is bad too. also drinking, and smoking is bad.

Adult Written byilikemusik23 August 13, 2009

My favorite Tyler Perry movie

This was sooooo much better than the last Madea movie! There was a lot more Madea in it and the drama plot in it was actally good. But part of the plot revolves around a prostitute so be prepared to hear and see some sexual dialoge. There was also a scene where MAdea's husband was smoking pot which i was a little suprised to see in a PG-13 movie. There is also some comic violence in the film but none of it is graphic and Madea isnt really all that good of a role model. But there is a good message at the end about taking responsibilty for your own actions. It's a good but mature for a PG-13 rating.

Adult Written bycmjohnson92 July 2, 2009
dissapointed not appropriate for tweens. my niece was really looking forward to watching this. sometimes approve pg 13 movies for her. she is 11 years old. will be going into 6th grade next year. not funny at all really for her. message was too serious, grown up.

Adult Written byTeykia April 12, 2009

Great Film !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that the movie was the best tyler perry movie yet.The movie had a great message and all madea movies have a important message that someday we all need to learn.
Adult Written byNico9000 March 29, 2009
Parent of a 18+, 18+, and 18+ year old Written bystandup March 20, 2009
This is a good movie for young teens to see. Shows that you can overcome bad choices you have made in your life and turn things around.

Adult Written bydfk1010 March 20, 2009

SEE IT AS SOON AS YOU GET A CHANCE

this movie is so funny but its also should not be seen by kids 11 and under because it has drug use, action but its cartoonish, prostitution and bad words. YOU SHOULD SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written bybeavenlevy February 27, 2009

More Comedy -less drama

yler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail is the dark story of a prostitute trying to redeem herself is set against comedic Madea’s hilarious antics. I certainly am used to Tyler Perry’s mixture of narcissistic tragedy combined with slapstick comedy but I would welcome a film that is 100% Madea. No comedic story line should involve gang rape. The disconnected and contrasting parallel story lines became annoying and marginalized the star attraction (Madea). I found myself unable to focus on the dark melodrama in anticipation of the hilarious Madea one liners. Perry’s villains are extremely predictable. The “Linda” character has no redeeming features. You are never sure as to why or how the hero fell in love with her. The best villains are those whose venomous flaws are obscured by some level of compassion or innocence. The beautiful Keshia Knight Pulliam does a fine job as a prostitute but the extremely superfluous dental work reminds us the Rudy Huxtable can not be suppressed. There appears to an overly concerted effort to “uglitize” this gorgeous actress (a la Charlize Theron in Monster). This is not necessary. Keshia Knight Pulliam has got skills.
Adult Written byPhilly30 February 26, 2009

A Hot Mess!

Tyler Perry as Madea is a hot mess! Very funny movies. Rudy from the Cosby show was not believable as a prostitute---but overall good messaging. Definitely for kids probably 14+. There is cursing---Madea acting crazy---there isn't any nudity. Madea's Family Reunion was definitely funnier---but still a lot of fun.
Parent of a 10 year old Written by[email protected] February 26, 2009

It was okay...

The title has little to do with the movie. "Madea Goes to Jail" for maybe ten minutes of the movie. The major part of the movie was concerning the young women on the streets selling themselves for drugs. I actually figured out the story line within the first few minutes of the movie. I really would not say it was all that great. As a matter of fact, "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" was in my opinion, Mr. Perry's best work.