Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Unbroken

Intense WWII biopic is inspiring but doesn't go deep enough.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 December 26, 2014

Zamperini's story is incredible, the movie is rough to watch

Not rough in terms of being a really bad movie, but the endless, pervasive suffering Louis Zamperini was forced to undertake. The movie is at least, at the very least 40% dedicated to Louis getting tortured, humiliated and beaten, mostly by the sadistic Japanese man known as the Bird. Now, let me say, that Takamasa Ishihara and of course, Jack O'Connell are great as the Bird and Louis. O'Connell especially makes this movie very watchable, bringing a charisma to this man who refuses to bend, a patriot without being obnoxious, as we see that he was a kid who got in trouble a lot. My big beef is that this may be not fitting enough a tribute to this man who endured so much. We get 15 minutes of his childhood and nearly an hour of the man getting withered down. Still, O'Connell's performance and the visual shots of the aerial sequences tip this movie over to being pretty good. I am shocked though, that this didn't receive an R rating. So "Nebraska," a movie with two f-words in it is adults-only where 13 year olds can see a man whipped and beaten for 60 minutes? Strange times we live in.

Adult Written byMama Bear January 1, 2015

Good but not great

My husband and I went to see Unbroken with our 17 yo and 10 yo. I read the book a couple of years ago and was fascinated with Lou Zamperini's story. The book was transfixing; it was unbelievable all that Zamperini went through, came through. His story is beyond inspiring. Anyway, we took our 10 yo because she's a pretty mature kid and has seen other PG-13 movies with no problem. Unbroken, however, in my opinion, should have been rated R. I don't understand the ratings system sometimes. Movies like The King's Speech are rated R when they should be PG-13 (in this case, it was R in theaters, PG-13 on DVD; go figure). Unbroken the film focused mainly on 2 parts of Laura Hillenbrand's book: Zamperini's time at sea with fellow soldiers for almost 50 days after their plane went down and his time as a POW. It was incredibly violent. This movie is not for squeamish kids or any kids under 11 or 12. There was so much more to his story from the book, I think they could have done more with Zamperini's amazing story besides all the abuse and torture he endured at sea and from the Japanese. My 10 yo and I spent the last hour of the movie in the theater game room. Certainly not the movie's fault; I did read reviews beforehand and knew what we were getting into and knew we might have to hang out in the lobby. All of that to say, I do highly recommend the movie. Zamperini's story should be seen by many; I just don't think the movie did it justice; but then it might've taken a good 3 or 4 hours to tell this guy's story!

Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written bythunder6950 June 1, 2015

What an inspirational story.

Other than an implied "peeking up girls skirts from under the bleachers" scene that was actually over my child's head, I don't recall any other sexually inappropriate scenes. I believe there was some bad language somewhere, but it wasn't constant. The war and prison camp scenes were not overly bloody. It was the first time for my children to watch this type of show. However, I guided my children through the movie and found that they handled it fine with discussions. It was a true story that was told well.

Adult Written bynataliyak January 13, 2015

inspiring

An eye opening and captivating movie, Unbroken is a true story that really makes you think about human race on a deeper level, check it out

Adult Written byKC4282 December 26, 2014

American Hero

Adult Written byCarl L. February 25, 2018

Very Good

The book is as good as the movie. The movie is awesome and has good role models and a awesome message. There are some scenes of action and not a lot of swearing. The movie also has a message of hope in the end because Louie sets up a camp for boys and helps boys like him find a passion and Louie forgives "The Bird" and the other soldiers that beat him when he was a POW.

Parent of a 16 and 18+ year old Written byJohn Lang October 6, 2015

Powerful but unsettling

I found it a powerful story with a strong message. My 18 year old son watched it with me and enjoyed the story and the portrayal of the main character, but my 16 year daughter and wife found it too disturbing and left half-way through the move, emotionally drained.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byKidcritic.com October 26, 2018

MATURE Tweens or Younger teens Only! Not "really good" but good-got a lot better as it went on

The beginning was boring, but it got a LOT better. I give it 2 1/2 stars, so to me that means it's an film that wasn't the best-or the worst- that I probably wouldn't rewatch. ONLY MATURE TWEENS AND YOUNGER TEENS+!!!!! There is torture, starvation, death, etc. not pretty-blood, but not loads. Not TOO much swearing... So My MPAA is: PG-13 for war violence and thematic elements, brutality/torture, some mild suggestive material, brief strong language, and for brief nudity. Mature tweens and younger teens+ ONLY. The nudity is only butts and is very NON-sexual. So parents either watch it first or make sure your kids can handle it...it is a true story about faith (somewhat) and WWII, that is good to watch