All member reviews for Unforgiven

Violent Oscar winner shatters myths of the Old West.

Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 7, 2010

The Evil Of William Munny

I'm going to attempt to review this movie as if I'm writing to adults, since I'm assuming that no parent in their right mind would allow a child under the age of 13 to view this picture. If you haven't seen the film, let me say that Eastwood announced in 1992 when the movie was released, that this movie would be his last western. And what a way to go out--with his boots on, so to speak. First and foremost, there are no good characters in this movie. Every character in this movie is a bad person of some sorts, whether it be a murderer, prostitute, corrupt sheriff, pimp, etc. Eastwood has not portrayed a more evil man in any other film he's been in--including Gran Torino or The Outlaw Josey Wales. William Munny, an ex-outlaw and "man of intemperate disposition", attempts to make a better life for his kids after his Christian wife dies of small pox in 1878. In order to do that, he joins up with The Scofield Kid and Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman) to chase out of a group of prostitute-assaulting cowboys. Although the movie is not sexually graphic, nearly every female lead is a prostitute looking for revenge on the brutal cowboys. This is a fine film and at the age of 12-13 years old, I first saw this in the theaters with my own father. But it's not a movie for kids younger than teen age. Even some teens may not be able to fully grasp the evil of the people in this movie. It's one of my favorite films of all time and eons above Bronco Billy and Pale Rider (which I'm also fond of). I would not hesitate to put it in the same category (or above) as the Segio Leone films. Teens and adults enjoy the best picture of 1992. But if you're going to let someone younger than that view it in order to avoid paying for a babysitter, think twice.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJasonMovie August 21, 2014

deserves the Oscar although violence and strong language

long story short, this movie is extremely violent and contains lots of strong language most teens might want to say off
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 23, 2011

unforgiven

i asolutly love movie, i saw it at the midnight pemere and it was so awesome
Adult Written byjmo97 June 16, 2016

A very intense, but mature, Western about the effects of violence

The first time I saw the movie, I thought it was kind of slow, though it had some interesting scenes that discuss the negative effects of violence on people. The second time I saw it, I understood the characters more and felt that they were actually people. I also understood the ending more, in the sense that I saw more of its anti-violence message. This is a powerful film that features very good acting (though I felt Clint Eastwood was just alright) and engaging dialogue between the characters. There isn't a ton of violence, but when it does appear, it is often startling. The opening scene in the brothel is probably the most disturbing, as it has a brief sexual sequence with two people (non-graphic and no nudity) and a woman being sliced at the face. Additionally, there are mostly shootings, but also a whipping, and two intense beatings (the first one pretty bloody). There are a couple of sexual references and discussions, including with prostitutes. The language includes occasional f- and s-words, and a lot of "son of a b----" s. All this being said, this movie focuses more on making it look sad to settle problems and grudges with violence, which I think is a worthy message to observe for only mature teens and older. 9.3/10
Teen, 13 years old Written byalessde03 May 24, 2016

Unforgiven

Unforgiven is a very good and powerful film, the violence is mostly sticks to a normal amount of violence. However that said some parts come out of no wear and is very graphic at times (Rarely) Unforgiven is Good but leave it to Mature Audiences
Adult Written bySam Marrick March 17, 2016

Its an Oscar winner that deserves it. See it.

Sure it may seem cliche by todays standards with its Old Bad Guy turned good who gets pulled back into the fight story copied by just about every Jason Statham movie. But always remember. This movie did it first (not literally but first to modernize the story with newer and darker themes) with FAR more complexity and superiority. 4 F words. Minimal blood (just in the water getting scene). A couple of sexual references and a facially scarred prostitute.
Parent Written bySupermanPL February 15, 2016

blablabla

blabla blablabla
Teen, 15 years old Written bysnoge July 15, 2015

An incredible film, quite violent though.

This is one of my favourites films - an old fashioned western, telling of redemption, courage and grit. Amazing fun, and the ending is magnificent. Parents should be a bit wary though - right at the beginning there's a sex scene, prostitutes appear frequently in the film and there's quite a lot of bloody violence. 14 year old should be fine.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 April 25, 2014

Brutal Old West tale tells it how it really was

I tend to avoid westerns on TV...they prominently feature John Wayne who I felt was one-note, and the great ones (High Noon, The Searches, THIS) are far and in between what is a predictable genre. "Unforgiven" doesn't glorify its violence, it shows the ramifications of being a rowdy gunslinger, the effect it has on someone when you take a life away! It nearly strips westerns Eastwood used to star in in his prime of their cool factor and reveals a more brutal, dark side to the genre I wasn't expecting! The Oscars were certainly kind to the film and now I see why: Gene Hackman stood out as sadistic sheriff Little Bill Daggett, and there was even some humor that shone through the intense nature of the film. Even those like me who don't care for westerns will enjoy: it's just good film making!
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010
A true Western Classic. I love this movie, and one to share with progeny when old enough to handle life and death.
Kid, 11 years old February 28, 2010
this movie is cool
Parent Written byPlague December 15, 2009

Unforgiven

A stunning movie that the gods would even have to bow down too. Definantly Clint Eastwood's best western so far (next to Pale Rider). I would give this movie 100 stars if I could, but I guess I have to limit myself to only 5.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares July 19, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

It's quite great, and one of Clint's best films (only Million Dollar Baby is better).