Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Unplanned

Very graphic content in faith-based abortion biopic.

Adult Written byNdehusson April 4, 2019

Adult Written byJaydenKay April 4, 2019

PLEASE WATCH! This movie reveals the horrible truth in a hopeful way

Some people say that abortion isn't murder, but the ironic movie rating (R) labels it as "extreme violence." We need to make people aware of the truth, and that is what this movie does. There are parts in the movie that are heart-wrenching to watch, and that is because abortion is horrible. Other parts of the movie remind of the forgiveness, love and hope available to everyone.
The greatest change you can make is changing your mind.

Parent Written byClaudia S. April 3, 2019

compassionate and eye opening

this movie is not just compassionate toward the aborted babies, but it is really compassionate toward women that had an abortion. they are depicted as they are: confused, in crisis, worried, doubtful, desperate, but also sometimes very sure of their choices. there is no judgement, instead there is the good example of the protagonist always treating them as human being in a difficult time and offering help and the good example of the pro life people praying for them. also the people of PP are not depicted with bad judgement, until at the end, when the previous supposed friends of Abby are at the court on the side of the PP.
this movie is eye opening about what a woman goes through before, during and after abortion and what she goes through physically (partially and there are images not more gory than other movies that are commonly show to kids). also depicts exactly what PP is and what Pro-life movement does.
it is worthy to show to 14 years old, because at that time they are sexually active or they start to be and can be very helpful to introduce good discussions about the topic of sex and consequences. also it is a good start to discuss more lofty concepts as: where we come from? who created us? why we do not know everything about how life happens? what is really a human being?
after this movie i had to change my definition of human being... write your definition on a paper, fold it, put it in your pocket, see the movie and then check if it is still true.

Parent Written byMomtwosons April 3, 2019

1st R-rated movie for my teens: Good

Please see the above link for details of why this was rated R. I am protective and rarely let my kids see a PG-13 film (mostly Avenger type). We do recommend this movie though!

I explained to my 13 and 15 yr old sons as best as I could what I had learned about the content of this film. That prepared them and we talked about it afterward. It does depend on your child's sensitivity.

One thing that stood out to me is how much women suffer to prevent having a baby that will remind them of a failed relationship with an awful, cheating man. He had sex and there's no ramifications! However, she'd have to raise the child mostly alone and still be reminded of the biological dad, or bleed in pain for weeks which is what happened with her abortion pill. Women truly bear the consequences of unprotected sex more than men.

Please show this to teens and forget about the R rating unless they're especially sensitive. I reminded my sons that it's fake blood, etc but what it represents is very sad. I cried more than once. I'm glad that I never had an abortion nor an unwanted pregnancy and I wish the same for more women. I hope this movie helps.

Adult Written byMn Lost Boy April 3, 2019

Honest and straight forward- One womans story of her choice to leave the abortion industry and join the pro-life movement!

I brought my wife and two youngest boys 16 and 18. All of us agreed it is a movie that is hard to see but important to have seen. After the movie we went out and looked up the backstory and it was even more interesting than the movie....

Parent Written byMichelle L April 3, 2019

So important to see this film!

It is not right that this film received an R rating. A girl could go and GET an abortion under the age of 17 without her parents' consent but she could not see this movie? That is crazy! However, the fact that it got this rating only for violence shows how they are acknowledging abortion as a very violent act. That being said, it has a couple of very disturbing scenes which young viewers may not be ready for, but if your kids are dating or even close they need to see this film. It was so well done and helps you to understand what is really happening during an abortion. It is so very honest about challenges in life... and it is fair in showing how so many in planned parenthood think they are doing a good thing. It shows heartbreaking moments but in the end you will be seeing how it ends up showing a story full of truth, redemption, forgiveness, and hope. I cannot recommend this movie highly enough. There is no doubt about it... this movie will save lives.

Adult Written byEvelyn_romo26 April 2, 2019
This is an inspiring and touching movie. I loved everything about it and it’s crazy to think we are in this reality where a 13 year old can go to planned parenthood and get an abortion without their parents knowing! I’m glad Abby Johnson was brave enough to share her story and the real things behind planned parenthood. Abortion must stop, a life is a life no matter the case and this movie gives a great message to women considering abortion or are pro choice. I recommend it and am extremely happy that this movie was made, these babies deserve to have a voice!

Adult Written byHildegard April 2, 2019

Worth the Watch

The abortion scenes are somewhat graphic, but if anything I feel that they may have been made slightly less horrific than real life, and its certainly not as bad as some films rated PG-13. The film itself is amazing, there were places where the actors were quoting dialogue straight from Abby's book, which I appreciated. It can be argued, given Abby's profession for most of the film, that there aren't good role models in it, but Doug's unconditional love, Abby's eventual admission that she'd been wrong and Shawn Carney and his wife's endless fortitude and love all seem like traits of good role models to me.

Adult Written bydavento3rd April 2, 2019

Sometime the truth needs to be stated FIRMLY. This movie does just that.

A very hard subject matter that needs to be told. Be ready for truthful sharing and pondering after its over for years to come.
Adult Written bymhoweter April 2, 2019

Disturbing, insightful, important but not

while I have read the reviews from a number of “professional” critics, that disregard the disturbing information regarding the reality of what happens during an abortion and assume its a right wing agenda at best or mock it as a overdramatic tacky imagined moronic display of extreme Christian anti-abortion propaganda. The topic or general story does not even make the radar in the general press sadly because this would seem like a topic where the public would want to know the truth and if some had a problem with the validity at least it would be brought out and discussed so our “Choice” would be made with knowledge and useful information. Given the general situation most women/girls who face this decision are scared, alone, vulnerable and given little cloudy vague information about the process so that the “choice” is less complex (for whatever reason whether to end the pregnancy or not, is a choice that I have a right to but needs to be made with good information and truth). But as far as getting a fare review by most movie critics, its not well done enough to demand serious discussion by those who emphatically oppose Pro life views. The acting is so-so, some good/some just really poor, but the story is compelling. The movie is important enough to see and can be very disturbing to watch. but it brings to light a lot of questions that need to be asked (and researched), so those having to choose can do so fairly and not blindly while scared and alone. Hopefully most viewers will focus on the story and the even more disturbing half truths and lack of medically & statistically valid facts one is given about the whole process ( the cloudy veil of mystery before one is faced with the choice itself) and we can have constructive discussion about it.

Adult Written bySirCharles April 1, 2019

Would see this movie again, and hope every planned parenthood closes it's doors

This movie hit home and a graphic but, it's a great movie. I would see it again. Must warn you get emotional easy, have a weak stomach, I would recomend not seeing this movie

Adult Written bybrittney.19 April 1, 2019

Eye opening...

Whether you are pro life or pro choice, you need to see this regardless. Some may say that it is too "violent" or "gory", but it's not. It shows the harsh reality of abortion, and brings light to the ugly side of it that Planned Parenthood doesn't want us to see. That is why they fought so hard to stop this movie production. I believe that young girls and women need to see it, and not only girls/females. Any boy/man should see it as well. It is intense, but then again, remember what they had to portray. Give it a chance, it'll change you.

Adult Written byMrwags28 March 31, 2019

Adult Written byMamacita3 March 31, 2019

Parts are very emotional

An extremely worthwhile movie, especially for teens, regarding a highly charged issue. Abby tells the inside stories/TRUTHS about the abortion industry, the inner workings of a typical Planned Parenthood clinic, and what it's like to get an abortion - surgical AND chemical. The chemically-induced abortion was the most graphic part of the movie which made me cringe, as she experienced a lot of bleeding. Towards the end of the movie there were some very emotional parts which made me cry, and that doesn't happen too often! This movie is an excellent springboard for discussion.

Adult Written byLpetrak March 31, 2019

Human story!

A much needed human lesson that needs to be taught. The devaluation of life is about to peak. If we don't call it for what it is NOW I fear that we will forever be lost.. I want as many people as possible to see this.

Adult Written byBackrow March 31, 2019

Important topic and true story!

With only a $6 million budget, this film far surpassed my expectations. This is a true story about Abby Johnson, one of the youngest directors in Planned Parenthood history, a darling of the industry who was even honored as Employee of the year. Her passion for helping women drove her career then and continues to do so to this day. No where else will you truly see what goes on behind the scenes at PP. With nothing to gain, and everything to lose, Abby tells the story of her conversion. No matter what you think of abortion or PP, educate yourself with this story filled with people who believe in helping women. I feel like the R rating is appropriate as far as the seriousness of the subject matter but also very important for teens to see. I will take my 13-16 year old children to see this movie for sure.

Adult Written by1000Words March 31, 2019

Powerful compelling story!

I just returned from seeing this powerful and compelling story told from the viewpoint of an abortion industry insider. It accurately depicts how the Planned Parenthood organization is run since the story is told from a former clinic director's actual experience. Regardless of whether you consider yourself to be pro choice/pro abortion or pro life/anti abortion you should go see this film!

Adult Written byBL1917 March 31, 2019

A must see movie

Pro Life, Pro Choice, Undecided-Please watch. This conversation needs to happen. Society needs this information to make an educated decision. My 12 year old son listened to Abby’s testimony before watching the film. He was deeply moved by Unplanned.

Adult Written byMac61 March 30, 2019

Awesome Movie!

Abby Johnson’s story is now out there and needs to be seen! It’s a great movie and well done! Yes graphic but it’s the truth! A great message to be told in today’s world
Adult Written bybwoods4 March 30, 2019