All member reviews for Up in the Air

Adult dramedy taps into emotions of current tough times.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegoer13 March 26, 2010

Not worth the hype, but a very great film nonetheless

Up in the air, to me, is a great film. It sends an informative message, ties it around with the economy, and shows how our perspectives on life, affect our personality. I believe that the film doesn't follow the hype, but it is still a great film nonetheless. The performances and story are strong, which are the films' best suits.
Parent Written byPlague March 18, 2010

Up in the Air

Very moving and funny movie with a possitive message to it. A great film for teens and adults.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byblublublu March 13, 2010

Why is this R?

Absolutely no reason for its R rating. good moral (in the end), he realizes that he doesnt have it all, in fact, he has very little. when the young one gets broken up with, she starts crying hysterically, which is a little weird. Should have won best picture.
Teen, 14 years old Written bym1 February 13, 2010

Deserves Best Picture, but Won't Get It :(

This is probably the best film I've seen all year. It is a bit stretched out, but the acting and script are fantastic and fun. The iffy 16+ rating given is for the complex story and themes and for the ending. Personally, I didn't find it to be too profane and sexual for it to be off limit to some middle schoolers. The only scene which might require a fast-forward would be when the two lovers are laying next to each other post-sex. However, it is a marvelous film and I think people will be talking about it for quite some time.
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written bydavid.wallace February 8, 2010

A Movie Made For Adults, iffy for teens

Up In the Air is a complex movie not made for young kids or many teens. The story is not relevant to kids' lives. My child was thoroughly bored throughout the movie. In hindsight it was a mistake letting her watch it. There were a lot of ups and downs throughout the movie and the ending was not particularly uplifting. My daughter had a lot of questions throughout the movie and has still been asking about it 2 weeks later. Up In the Air is not a family movie.
Adult Written byterra100 January 19, 2010

Too depressing -- find something else

Utterly depressing. I'm usually tolerant of downer films, but this film had virtually no redeeming value other than stellar acting by the principal actors. So, unless you're after studying acting technique, find something else to watch.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrando804 January 3, 2010

An excelent film with values, humor, and a decent story for hard times

I just saw this film, and i have to say, I was impressed. I'm not normally into the "indies" so-called, but this film was different. Up In the Air is different. It has a good story about hard times, humor, and lots of heart. The film did not deserve its R-Rating. Anyone over the age of 10 who goes to school hears this kind of language every day. And lets face it, when your pre-pubescent 12-year-old says their going to their friend's house for a sleepover, their going to rent movies like 'The Hangover', and 'Saw'. So trust me, by age 10 kids have been exposed to the worst of it. (and also, part of this was filmed in St. Louis, where I live. So that was somewhat exciting to see.)
Adult Written bygetuclu December 28, 2009

Older teens and early 20's good conversation starter for parents.

We took our 18 and 20 year old daughters to see it. It was depressing to the younger going into business and my wife - very feeling people. For my older and me, it was entertaining and allowed for good discussion about serious issues from employment, to living within your means to what is important in life. Clooney gets a clue in the end. Never too late..
Adult Written byPaul-FF December 5, 2009

Very good movie, does not deserve an R rating.

I really enjoyed this movie and expect to see/hear much more of it during the upcoming awards season. It's so nice to watch a movie that treats the audience as adults. The script, direction and acting are all top-notch. As always, parents should be the judge of whether this movie is appropriate for their kids. Personally, I'd have no problem with watching this movie with my 11 year-old son. The one nude scene is from behind and is not gratuitous and, to be honest, I don't even recall much swearing in the movie. There are some good lessons about family and about the type of person and the job that the lead character, Ryan Bingham, does. One of the main lessons is that there are times when a video chat or text message is not the best way to conduct a meeting about a serious subject. The rather overt product placement for American Airlines is a little over-the-top but at least it ties in with the subject of the movie. All-in-all, an excellent movie and I highly recommend it.