All member reviews for Up in the Air

Adult dramedy taps into emotions of current tough times.

Adult Written byPaul-FF December 5, 2009

Very good movie, does not deserve an R rating.

I really enjoyed this movie and expect to see/hear much more of it during the upcoming awards season. It's so nice to watch a movie that treats the audience as adults. The script, direction and acting are all top-notch. As always, parents should be the judge of whether this movie is appropriate for their kids. Personally, I'd have no problem with watching this movie with my 11 year-old son. The one nude scene is from behind and is not gratuitous and, to be honest, I don't even recall much swearing in the movie. There are some good lessons about family and about the type of person and the job that the lead character, Ryan Bingham, does. One of the main lessons is that there are times when a video chat or text message is not the best way to conduct a meeting about a serious subject. The rather overt product placement for American Airlines is a little over-the-top but at least it ties in with the subject of the movie. All-in-all, an excellent movie and I highly recommend it.
Adult Written bygetuclu December 28, 2009

Older teens and early 20's good conversation starter for parents.

We took our 18 and 20 year old daughters to see it. It was depressing to the younger going into business and my wife - very feeling people. For my older and me, it was entertaining and allowed for good discussion about serious issues from employment, to living within your means to what is important in life. Clooney gets a clue in the end. Never too late..
Parent of a 14 year old Written byblublublu March 13, 2010

Why is this R?

Absolutely no reason for its R rating. good moral (in the end), he realizes that he doesnt have it all, in fact, he has very little. when the young one gets broken up with, she starts crying hysterically, which is a little weird. Should have won best picture.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag February 5, 2012

Strong language in overall well done independent drama

"Up in the Air" is a thoughtful drama about a man who seems to be in control of his life, but turns out to be a lonesome man who may have no trouble, but never felt love, or friendship. George Clooney is great as Ryan Bringham, and also the whole script makes this movie great to watch for every fan of clever independent movies. The movie has some emotional moments, but - judging through my time as a kid - most children will not see movies as sad as adults. The movie is rated R, but only for language. There are mild sexual references, but there are worse sexual references in PG-movies. If you don't mind profanity, you can let younger teenagers and older children watch this. No violence is depicted (SPOILER: a suicide is a thematic element, but it is not shown, END OF SPOILER). We see a couple nude after implyingly having sex, but only from behind or under the blanket. A few mild comments are made, children will not get this. Teens and up.
Adult Written byterra100 January 19, 2010

Too depressing -- find something else

Utterly depressing. I'm usually tolerant of downer films, but this film had virtually no redeeming value other than stellar acting by the principal actors. So, unless you're after studying acting technique, find something else to watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjm97 November 25, 2012

Up in the Air

This was an outstanding film! This is a great departure from Twilight for Anna Kendrick, who really shined, and Clooney and Fermiga were amazing as well! Go see it!
Parent Written bytreehousejennie May 23, 2012

Not worth the effort. Not a feel-good movie.

What a waste of time. A shallow film about a guy who realizes that his life is empty, but then does nothing to change it. Leaves you disappointed with the overall message that life is pointless, but it's not as bad when you have someone to share it with. Clooney jumps in bed with a fellow traveler only to find out later that it was meaningless and can go nowhere. A depressing movie about a guy who ends up alone.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMaWalker66 April 22, 2014

Decent Movie, A little disapointing

maturity: Violence: Absolutely none, only talks of it (PG) Sex: Sexual talk, implied sex, and brief nudity(butt) (Barely R) Swearing: Not too bad about 25 F Words(R) Quality Acting: Great, all those award nominations were well deserved Interesting: No, it can get boring at times Overall: Good, but not great I thought this would be the best George Clooney movie(so far I haven't love any of his movies, my favorite is the descendants and I want to see ocean's eleven) nut it was pretty disappointing. It is not that mature(12 and up)
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 10, 2014

Mature dramedy with relevant themes

I was worried the first 10 minutes that "UITA" would be a bit of a snoozer, but the action really kicked in when Anna Kendrick's character came in, a symbol of coming change for Clooney's Bingham, so set in his flight-bound ways of avoiding his family, and his adopted attitude of never wanting to be anchored down. The film never peaked, it just kept getting better and better, and as a hopeful writer the script is inspirational, hitting at all the right times of messages of moving on, relationships, change, without hitting you over the head with it. Kendrick really held her own against Clooney in their quid pro quo sessions of ushering in new methods to firing folks, and naturally Clooney was superb as someone who mirrors his own lifestyle.