All member reviews for V for Vendetta

Complex but heavy-handed action film. Adults only.

Adult Written byworkethic April 9, 2008

read the book.

V for Vendetta is based on a graphic novel writen by Alan Moore in the 80s. Many colleges have this book in their curriculum. I have not finished the book myself, but I have noticed the movie adaptation is mostly true to it. But not 100% In the not-so-distant future, the "former united states" as fallen as a result of a futile over-seas war which has crippled much of europe. England has risen into power by way of media manipulation and fear/faith tactics. Their once elected leader assumes role as a totalitarian..."for the people's protection."...after an alledged "biological attack" that killed 80,000 people. Persecution of minority groups, homosexuals and non-christians soon follows. Possession of questionable, offensive or "blacklisted" music, books, art, films and demonstrations of political satire are all punishable by death. Like in any such oppressive society, a revolution is inevidable. As V quotes "The government should fear it's people. The people should never fear their government." V for Vendetta is about the makings of such a revolt. A tortured, but charming soul, V sets out to assasinate the chain of command in the government's regime and pave a way for the people to rise against what's left of it. Meanwhile, he demonstrates his determination as he demolishes government buildings and hi jacks TV stations to announce responsiblity for his actions and broadcast his agenda. On his path, he adopts Evey, the daugther of political activists who were executed for their "crimes." V teaches Evey what it takes to be so driven by an idea that you do not fear dying for it. Children under the age of 15 may not find this movie very appealing. There are many long winded rants in reference to Shakesphere and revolutionary events. The violence, although not terribly gorey, is quick and bloody. The world in which V for Vendetta takes place in, is cruel and desperate. Children and women are often abused by figures of authority with no one (except V) to save them. There is one scene where a little girl is shot dead by a police officer for defacing a Big Brother slogan in her neighborhood. As a result, the people turn against the officer, beating him with shovels and other garden tools. Evey's good friend reveals to her in private that he is "living a lie" as a heterosexual TV host and shows her his private collection of black-listed items included a Quran, a piece of pop art mocking the chancellor, and photographs of his gay lover. Later that night, he is beaten and dragged out of his home by police for a Benny Hill-like stetch he wrote for his show in which he mocked the government's incompetence. While imprisoned, Evey discovered the auto-biography written on toilet paper by a lesbian telling her tale of persecution and imprisonment. In this tragic story, the woman onced lived happily and peacefully with her same-sex partner until police were sent to tear them out of their home, imprisoned, tortured and put to death. This is the same case for most character's background stories. There is a lot of pain, anger and fear throughout the movie, which younger viewers may not understand. But the happy ending is that they all become free to be who they truely are. Free of fear and free of persecution. These are ideas that people kill and die for everyday. Overall, the story is touching, revelant and smart. It takes some deal of understanding both historical and current events to appreciate V's violent resolve without condoning the violence itself.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWolfySadamara April 9, 2008

Fascinating

V for Vendetta is fairly violent, mature, with a good, but slow storyline. Overall an extremely good movie, highly recommended. Dont take kids without some background knowledge on politics or under the age of 12.
Adult Written byMovie Man August 15, 2009

Intense and Disturbing, but very Well Made for 17+

Parents: This is not an action extravaganza; it is a highly disturbing, complex, and well made sci-fi morality tale with intense politics, provacative material, and some good action sequences. There are many disturbing issues (many of them graphically flash or are protracted on-screen), including torture, mass murder, governments killing hundreds of thousands, experimentation, child molestation, families being taken away from children and tortured/murdered, imprisonment, discrimination against homosexuals, and, finally, anarchy. A child is shot on screen (disturbing). A man is burned alive (his hands are seen on-screen; quite frightening). The action can get rough too; throats are slit, chests are impaled, people are smashed against floors and walls, etc. But, if you can stomach this material (and there is something almost constantly disturbing going on), then you should be in for a rare film that puzzles the mind, makes you think, and best of all, shocks you with two great twists in the middle, leaving you eagerly awaiting grand finale. But know this: if you are looking for a spectacular, epic final battle, I'm afraid you must go elsewhere. Otherwise, enjoy!
Kid, 9 years old May 15, 2011

Blasphemy!

You have to be kidding me, TWO STARS! This is blasphemy that they rated it that, language:Mild, Sex:There is a scene about a pedo bishop Violence:There is a lot like the review says but not a lot of blood, should be fine for younger viewers Messages:Bull, he stopped a torturing, oppressive government who were brainwahsing there freaking' citizens, now you telling me stopping them means he was a FREAKING' TERRORIST YOU LIBERALS!
Teen, 15 years old Written byastist7 May 10, 2009

Absolutely Fantastic!

All the people I know that don't like this movie said that they didn't like it because they didn't get it. My advice is to turn on the subtitles in the movie because information comes at you very quickly and if you miss anything, the experience will be ruined. If you do understand it fully, however, you'll enjoy an emotion-filled tale of a people's rebellion over a dictatorship all led by two incredible characters.
Teen, 17 years old Written bycopperzinc April 6, 2009

Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Adult Written byorcadin9 March 27, 2009

good movie, why R???

i think that this movie isn't that bad and shouldn't be rated R I know that it's violent but not realistic.
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

bad

bad movie
Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBlackShadow March 10, 2010

Older teens only.

Well. I'm not really sure about which age this would be appropiate for. I personally loved it, but in films I tend to ignore special effects and gore in films and focus more on the storyline and the characters, unlike most people my age. Some parts are violent, and the vast majority of younger people would just think V is "cool" for blowing up buildings, regardless of what his reason is. I thinkk it would be more suited to older teenagers, who would understand the message behind it and not just be caught up in the violence and language. There's a beautiful message behind this film, and throughout it you really grow to care about V. Or at least I did...
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2011

Great Movie For Adults Or Mature Teens

I am a quite mature 12 year old and, though this movie had many complex themes, I loved it. The violence is most of the reason why the movie is R. Most of the violence was very comic bookish and unrealistic though still very violent. There is shooting and knifing. Blood flies through the air and sometimes splatters on walls. The language is the second reason why this movie was rated R. The F word is used a few times (maybe 3 or 4 times I didn't count) and Sh-t is used too. The worst use of language is when a corrupted archbishop has arranged to have sex with an underage girl, but when he figures out she is just pretending to be you and is actually trying to escape, he yells "You b--ch. You f---ing b--ch." Many mature topics are discussed in this movie such as dystopian society and corrupt leaders. The movie may make more sense or may be more enjoyable if you have read dystopian novels such as Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451or even young adult novels like The Hunger Games. I loved this movie even though it was violent, and I would recommend to anybody who is a fan of the books mentioned before or to just a movie fanatic. But remember, If you are a parent trying to find out if this movie is appropriate for your kids, decide for yourself. Age ratings are not always accurate.
Adult Written bywolfunc April 9, 2008

amazing

this movie is amazing any one over old enough to understand it should see it
Parent of a 7, 16, and 17 year old Written byMild Mom May 22, 2011

SHOCKED to read review from 9 yearl old!

I can't believe your first review comes from a 9 year old! Where are the parents of this child. Obviously watches loads of inappropriate material to think the violence wasn't bad. There is no way a child this age can understand the message, its pretty heavy content for an adult! Am a bit concerned that my just turned 16 year old has had to do a film study of this at school!
Teen, 15 years old Written bysmeagolmaster December 20, 2008

If you gave the Phantom of the Opera six swords and 007-style fighting moves, and put him into George Orwell's 1984, you might get something like this movie. It's 2020,and the English government has taken total control. No one dares to do anything except for V, a masked man tortured by the government. On Guy Fawkes Night he plans to change England, but this goes awry when he rescues Evey Hammond, who he then adopts. I really liked this movie. It isn't appropriate for everyone, but Commonsense does exaggerate. The message is not, as Commonsense puts it, to extol terrorism. When the government goes as far as this, it is better for the people to attempt to change it than for them to be tortured and executed for holding a copy of the Koran. It is violent,however. V cuts a couple of throats, several people are shot, the government clubs people and takes them to torture camps, and the bodies of several people are found. There isn’t too much sex – some kissing, and Evey is nearly raped twice, rescued both times by V. I highly recommend this movie, but parents should watch it either with or before their kids do.
Teen, 15 years old Written byQuaily June 16, 2010

A really interesting movie!

This movie is an interesting view on facism. If your child is politically aware and has strong opinions, then this movie would be right for them. however if your child is less mature than that I suggest waiting until at least age 16 before letting them watch it. It's rather bloody but the message is an interesting protest against the Bush Regime. Overall a very good movie!
Adult Written byMort555 April 9, 2008

Great movie for it's target audience

This is one of the biggest surprises as of late for me. I didn't expect much from this movie but I was pleasantly surprised. The movie had a great story with action and humor sprinkled throughout. This movie makes you think so if you don't want to this movie is not for you. If you are over the age of 17 you should give this movie a try.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDapplez April 18, 2010

Epic movie, some iffy scenes, total thriller! :D

Honestly, I'm open minded and I actually watched the film with my friend when I was only ten. I loved it and still do; I rewatched it again today. The plotline is definitely different. There are moments of blood flying and severe violence but it isn't heads-falling-off. The final scene is the most gorey so if your a bit touchy about those types of things, you might want to fast forward over it. The messages were truthful and both good and bad. It depends how narrow or open minded you are, how faithful to your leaders and your overall tastes to decide what is a good and what is a bad message. While V is considered the protagonist, he has a dark, malevolent and vengeful aura around him. I still trying to decide whether he's as good as he says he is. The scenarios are most definitely realistic but the blood's not /too/ realistic. There are several iffy scenes that I'd watch out for; not gonna spoil anything for you though. Many instances of swearing like f**k, s**t and less vulgar words (like "bloody hell). Overall, 4.5/5. Watch with mature kids that can take serious matters (usually around the age of 12/13+). :)
Parent of a 12 year old Written bybobdylan July 10, 2009

N for Not For Kids

I liked it a lot but i think it's messages may go over some kids' heads and i thought that the throat-slashing finale was WAY overdone, not too mention the many bad words and the sexual implications.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 24, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written bydvdemille March 18, 2011

Great movie with awesome acting on freedom and justice. very mild for rated r movies. if the very few f words were blocked out then im very sure it would recieve a pg13 rating.