All member reviews for Van Helsing

Teen, 15 years old Written byROTC-mon96 July 2, 2011

It's a vampire flick, what do you expect?

This movie was scary. Especially the masquerade ball scene. There were also many scenes with almost-over-the-top violence. This is a really high rated PG-13 rating. It probably would've been rated R if there were a bit more blood. It was very entertaining, however. The scenes are all okay if you are mature enough. Do NOT show it to elementary school kids though. It might give them terrifying nightmares. Think of it like your average vampire movie (barring the Twilight saga) Throw in classic monster movie monsters, take out a lot of the blood, and star Hugh Jackman as the lead vampire hunter.
Kid, 11 years old October 3, 2009

violent but good

I think this is a good movie but u dont need to watch it if u get scared easily because it can get scary for some people at times
Kid, 11 years old May 23, 2010

Great , not that scary for about 10+

Great movie , and a good storyline to , and i will never get bored of this movie . To younger viewers , it might be a little scaring , especially when the werewolf is in the house , and the woman see's him , "rip his skin apart" , as he climbs the wall (not as bad as it sounds , trust me!) . And possibly the part when the man is setting a trap , for the werewolf , when (in the bushes) , the werewolf looks , (but you dont see this) , then there's rustling noises , the you see the features of the werewolf (teeth , eyes ) then more , then all , the werewolf jumps infront of the screen then. Thats all , but less about that , it's about how "adventureous , and entertaining it is" . A "must buy" movie .
Teen, 13 years old Written bymichaelc April 30, 2010

good film, not big concerns
Kid, 10 years old March 1, 2014

It disappointed me.

This movie disappointed me, I do not understand how it gets a PG-13 rating. It is awfully violent and the ending is really dramatic. If you are under 13, you should DEFINNETLY watch this movie before viewing it to your kids.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe July 14, 2013

THIS MOVIE IS VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY SCARY!!!!!

I saw this in theaters when I was eight years old and everything was just grotesque, frightening and it scared the living hell out of me!!!!!! I had nightmares after seeing this in theaters!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 January 2, 2013

incredible action-horror crossover has blood, slime, monsters, and violence

this grand, gruesome, and overly awesome action film has many refrences to classic horror films from Frankenstein to Dracula and more. but it also has a load of violent, gross, and grotesque scenes. creatures are stabbed, sliced, shot, blown up and killed in many ways. there are some graphic werewolf transformations, along with blood drinking, desintegrating vampires, explosions, battles, and creepy images. the female vampires, in their harpie-like form, have naked breasts.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn May 18, 2012

Underwhelming action film has plenty of flashy visuals, absolutely no substance whatsoever

Stephen Sommer's 2004 summer blockbuster, Van Helsing, is a lot like another film that I just previously reviewed, and that it even came out in the same year, or rather, the summer of 2004, which is, The Chronicles of Riddick. How are both of these films rather alike, well, please allow me to elaborate: Both films received a huge budget, lot's and lot's of computer animation technicians working on it, excessive amounts of green-screen effects, both films had overlong time limits and both films also had absolutely no substance at all. Now, as much as I have thoroughly enjoyed Stephen Sommer's work in the past, including The Mummy, and his later directed G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra; which is a film that absolutely everyone hated, but I just couldn't get enough of, and honestly, it may actually be my ultimate guilty pleasure action film. But, as much as I really, really waned to enjoy Van Helsing, it just couldn't help but brutally underwhelm my expectations. It has so much going for it: It has lavish art direction work, lot's of well-animated special effects, a very good cast including Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale, and some very detailed visual work in terms for the classic 1930's monster movie look that they were going for it. Yes, visually, it does very well, indeed, but in pretty much every other category, it is just a mess. the performances by Jackman, Beckinsale and crew are uninspired and dull to say the least, with Jackman and even Beckinsale deserving better. Also, there story is basically just one long mishmash of computer animated monster attacks, some mid-evil style visuals and laughably bad dialog. So disappointing, indeed. So, despite the fact that the film is Rated PG-13, it is actually relativity tame for the Rating, though: There is frequent fantasy violence and action, with many, many high-tech gunfights, shootouts, killings and battles, often involving very intense and frightening-looking supernatural characters. Also, there is brief sensuality, including a very brief and comical sex scene that is does completely for laughs. And, that really is all there it to the film, and with that, I really just wish that the movie was not so much of a big missed opportunity, but oh well. I just hope the recently mentioned remake slated for sometimes in the next few years will be so much better than this one was...
Teen, 14 years old Written bymylibrarycardworeout December 5, 2011

Great Halloween Fun - Or For Any Time

This is the classic Dracula story with a nice twist. It had Frankenstein, it had werewolves, and other demonic creatures as well. This story is about Count Dracula and his mission to make his kind thrive, but then Van Helsing, his old enemy, arrives to make his life just a tad more difficult. This is an amazing Halloween movie. The action was non-stop, there were some things which made you jump, but it was not too scary - for teens. This is the perfect movie for younger teens and up (14+.) There was some gore but it was not too bad. The monster got cut and the blood spurted but it was literally a frame and that was it. Some of the creatures in this movie were a little scary, like Dracula’s brides. I though that Richard Roxburgh was the perfect actor for Count Vladislaus Dracula. He looked like a Dracula to me and he played the part extremely well. Hugh Jackman was the hero of this film and he played his party of Van Helsing very well. He made his character come alive with his subtle jokes now and then. Then Kate Beckinsale played the beautiful Anna Valerious. She was not your ordinary woman. She would kick butt along side Van Helsing. This story is perfect for a family with older teens. There is nothing sexual in this at all and there is only mild language like “godda**” and words like “oh my God.” Nothing too extreme at all. I loved this movie and I recommend watching it as it is a perfect Halloween movie, and Halloween is just around the corner.
Teen, 13 years old Written byerraggarn98 November 5, 2011

Some great moments but overall a mediocore film

I enjoyed the special effects... But nothing else... There were some great fighting moments specially when a lycan is fighting with Count. Dracuala, most of the acting was not outstanding and most of the movie was mediocore and boring. 3/5 for the special effects and the fighting moments.
Kid, 11 years old May 3, 2011

ok

i think the film was a bit scary i havent seen all of it
Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011

Ehhhh...ok, but not that good.

It was ok, but not the best. The Twilight Saga is better. The only good part was Kate Beckinsale as Anna Valerious!!! Talk about girl power!!!! The ending was ok, but I wasn't really happy with it. The scariness wasn't that bad, and most of it seemed a little bland to me, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. My advice:rent it. It's not really interesting enough to watch several times.
Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2010

Oh my god that was an amazing movie! i choose an iffy because 12 year olds might be scares to death. Watch the trailer and you'll know what I mean. This movie is only good for fans of old monster movies or if you like action and horror twilight fans should watch it to see what I REAL vampire and werewolf do. But they might not enjoy it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byqwertyuiop01 October 16, 2010

1 jump moment more funny than scary

very good
Kid, 12 years old September 13, 2010

good movie

loved it
Kid, 10 years old July 25, 2010

so so movie with lots of violence
Kid, 7 years old July 9, 2010

Kid, 11 years old November 13, 2009

great for tweens and up but little kids is prob a not good idea

I've seen the movie quite a few time and sure it's strange but most sexual things for younger children in this movie will slide by but older will proabaly catch on,language is pretty mild,and the violence is bacily supernatural fighting it is of course a movie with vampires and werewolves.
Kid, 11 years old October 5, 2009

AWSOME!!!

A good movie. But if young ones are afraid of vampires and werewolfes this is not a movie for them.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLadyFlameSinger June 23, 2009

Not for everyone, but not bad

The combination of the Frankenstein monster, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Dracula, and the Wolfman was interesting, to say the least. For such an in-your-face, "oh-look-something-else-just-popped-out-and-scared-my-socks-off" movie, I thought they did a pretty good job. Hugh Jackman was wonderful as the title character, though I think that Kate Beckinsale overdid her Transylvanian accent just a tad. And honestly, what vampire-killing woman would, in her right mind, wear high-heeled boots? The vampire chicks, while a little freaky, were pretty awesome, though their outfits were defnitely veering towards scandalous. I thought Richard Roxburgh was wonderful as Dracula, and you had to love David Wenham as the bumbling friar with a perfect throw. The ending wasn't perfect, but it was satisfactory in its sadness, somewhat touching, and it did fit. The movie was kind of violent, a little gruesome, but hey, we're dealing with literature's most fearsome monsters, so what can we expect?