All member reviews for Van Helsing

This is one vampire movie with bite.

Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011

Ehhhh...ok, but not that good.

It was ok, but not the best. The Twilight Saga is better. The only good part was Kate Beckinsale as Anna Valerious!!! Talk about girl power!!!! The ending was ok, but I wasn't really happy with it. The scariness wasn't that bad, and most of it seemed a little bland to me, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. My advice:rent it. It's not really interesting enough to watch several times.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Ugh!

This is a totally and utterly despicable movie- it's a brainless film that will bore you to death! There are so many special effects the movie looks like a cartoon, and the characters are flatter than paper. Please dont see this dreadful movie- you'll thank me later.
Adult Written bymovie_mad_dad April 9, 2008

OK comic book

I watched this with my 13 year old, and by the end we both agreed it was kinda like a mildly amusing theme park ride neither of us would wait in line to ride again. It's visually spectactular, with the whole Universal lot of monsters rendered in pretty good CGI splendor. It would have been too scary for my 11 year old--if you have kids who are at all fright-adverse, find another movie. There are plenty of horror-movie type scenes where monsters stalk the protagonists. There's also this underlying semi-erotic theme of the well endowed she-vampires. Check out the recent "Count of Monte Cristo" for a better family adventure.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymylibrarycardworeout December 5, 2011

Great Halloween Fun - Or For Any Time

This is the classic Dracula story with a nice twist. It had Frankenstein, it had werewolves, and other demonic creatures as well. This story is about Count Dracula and his mission to make his kind thrive, but then Van Helsing, his old enemy, arrives to make his life just a tad more difficult. This is an amazing Halloween movie. The action was non-stop, there were some things which made you jump, but it was not too scary - for teens. This is the perfect movie for younger teens and up (14+.) There was some gore but it was not too bad. The monster got cut and the blood spurted but it was literally a frame and that was it. Some of the creatures in this movie were a little scary, like Dracula’s brides. I though that Richard Roxburgh was the perfect actor for Count Vladislaus Dracula. He looked like a Dracula to me and he played the part extremely well. Hugh Jackman was the hero of this film and he played his party of Van Helsing very well. He made his character come alive with his subtle jokes now and then. Then Kate Beckinsale played the beautiful Anna Valerious. She was not your ordinary woman. She would kick butt along side Van Helsing. This story is perfect for a family with older teens. There is nothing sexual in this at all and there is only mild language like “godda**” and words like “oh my God.” Nothing too extreme at all. I loved this movie and I recommend watching it as it is a perfect Halloween movie, and Halloween is just around the corner.
Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2010

Oh my god that was an amazing movie! i choose an iffy because 12 year olds might be scares to death. Watch the trailer and you'll know what I mean. This movie is only good for fans of old monster movies or if you like action and horror twilight fans should watch it to see what I REAL vampire and werewolf do. But they might not enjoy it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

a definate NO NO

Don't watch this. Bad for kids, teens, everyone. Not only is it absolutely laughable, and just plain pointless, but its bad, as there are lots of monsters/vampires, etc. Shouldn't have been made.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn May 18, 2012

Underwhelming action film has plenty of flashy visuals, absolutely no substance whatsoever

Stephen Sommer's 2004 summer blockbuster, Van Helsing, is a lot like another film that I just previously reviewed, and that it even came out in the same year, or rather, the summer of 2004, which is, The Chronicles of Riddick. How are both of these films rather alike, well, please allow me to elaborate: Both films received a huge budget, lot's and lot's of computer animation technicians working on it, excessive amounts of green-screen effects, both films had overlong time limits and both films also had absolutely no substance at all. Now, as much as I have thoroughly enjoyed Stephen Sommer's work in the past, including The Mummy, and his later directed G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra; which is a film that absolutely everyone hated, but I just couldn't get enough of, and honestly, it may actually be my ultimate guilty pleasure action film. But, as much as I really, really waned to enjoy Van Helsing, it just couldn't help but brutally underwhelm my expectations. It has so much going for it: It has lavish art direction work, lot's of well-animated special effects, a very good cast including Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale, and some very detailed visual work in terms for the classic 1930's monster movie look that they were going for it. Yes, visually, it does very well, indeed, but in pretty much every other category, it is just a mess. the performances by Jackman, Beckinsale and crew are uninspired and dull to say the least, with Jackman and even Beckinsale deserving better. Also, there story is basically just one long mishmash of computer animated monster attacks, some mid-evil style visuals and laughably bad dialog. So disappointing, indeed. So, despite the fact that the film is Rated PG-13, it is actually relativity tame for the Rating, though: There is frequent fantasy violence and action, with many, many high-tech gunfights, shootouts, killings and battles, often involving very intense and frightening-looking supernatural characters. Also, there is brief sensuality, including a very brief and comical sex scene that is does completely for laughs. And, that really is all there it to the film, and with that, I really just wish that the movie was not so much of a big missed opportunity, but oh well. I just hope the recently mentioned remake slated for sometimes in the next few years will be so much better than this one was...
Teen, 17 years old Written byklow April 9, 2008

pretty good till the end of the movie

Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe July 14, 2013

THIS MOVIE IS VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY SCARY!!!!!

I saw this in theaters when I was eight years old and everything was just grotesque, frightening and it scared the living hell out of me!!!!!! I had nightmares after seeing this in theaters!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 January 2, 2013

incredible action-horror crossover has blood, slime, monsters, and violence

this grand, gruesome, and overly awesome action film has many refrences to classic horror films from Frankenstein to Dracula and more. but it also has a load of violent, gross, and grotesque scenes. creatures are stabbed, sliced, shot, blown up and killed in many ways. there are some graphic werewolf transformations, along with blood drinking, desintegrating vampires, explosions, battles, and creepy images. the female vampires, in their harpie-like form, have naked breasts.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

Exciting and entertaining

Overall, this was a great movie. It was just that some parts were so....serious and with such dramatic music that it was almost funny when it shouldn't have been. It just could have been a but more subtle - it didn't need everything to spell out that it was supposed to be suspenseful. Otherwise, I really liked it.
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Very fun movie

If you're kids are going to watch it, you should know this movie is almost non-stop action, teens will absolutely love it. Adults might not like it as much due to it's relative lack of plot. But it's a very fun movie to watch, and it almost even made me cry at the end... though I won't give away why.
Kid, 10 years old March 1, 2014

It disappointed me.

This movie disappointed me, I do not understand how it gets a PG-13 rating. It is awfully violent and the ending is really dramatic. If you are under 13, you should DEFINNETLY watch this movie before viewing it to your kids.
Adult Written byJoe100 April 9, 2008