Must-see Hitchcock thriller for any classic movie bug.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Overrated

Vertigo was boring, confusing, and mostly dumb. The first half was okay, but the rest is pointless and wanders without a definite plot. It had little objectionable material besides being a bit disturbing or intense, but kids and many adults will fall asleep quickly. Probably Alfred Hitchcock's worst movie.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2009

GREAT

Alfred Hitchcock is brilliant, I was totally on an edge the whole movie! You never know what will happen next. SEE IT!!
Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2009
Its one of my favorite movies,but some parts may be to violent for younger children
Teen, 14 years old Written byethanct86 January 3, 2016

"Vertigo" gives The Master’s best.

Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo, one of the most unnerving psychological thrillers ever made, began climbing the annals after Hitchcock’s death until reaching first in the prestigious British Sight & Sound magazine’s Top 50 Films of All Time in September 2012. With the distinguished eerie tune by Bernard Herrmann, whose very first film, remarkably, was Citizen Kane, Hitchcock, The Master of Suspense, encompasses the real world with a mystery supposedly from the supernatural. With outstanding performances from Kim Novak and Jimmy Stewart (though I still can’t get over his disproportionate walk), Vertigo turns the familiar murder-mystery story into an enthralling masterpiece of love, money and a lot of tall, dizzying stairs. Legendary actor Jimmy Stewart plays John ‘Scottie’ Ferguson, a San Francisco detective who, after a police falls to his death attempting to help him on a rooftop, has been released from police duty due to his acrophobia, or fear of heights. However, shipping businessman Gavin Elster later discovers and hires Scottie’s detective hand to follow his twenty-six year old wife as he suspects supernatural occurrences that he claims that the dead visits his wife and drives her in drastic behaviors. Tailing her, he witnesses her mad wanderings and discovers that she ties her hair and collects the same flower as a woman from a painting in the Palace of the Legions of Honor. However, this is not enough to dub it more than a coincidence. Dexterously, he quickly learns that the twenty-six year-old Madeleine hears cries to suicide from this woman. Soon, however, he later quickly unearths the woman as Carlotta Valdes, also a suicidal at age twenty-six. Though rated PG in almost all of the re-releases, the 1999 Digital version I viewed contained a PG-13 rating, which is far more fitting for the heavy elements and themes of death in the film. In fact, even from the opening credits, Hitchcock brings out the dreads and surprises. Filmed in essentially every historic site in and around San Francisco, Vertigo gives many long smooches and innuendos as well as some “suicide” attempts and disturbing constituents, specifically an extremely tense nightmare and the Carlotta Valdes picture which Hitchcock gradually managed, throughout the course of the film, to put a bit of sinister in it. With his forty-fifth feature film, Hitchcock again proves himself as The Master. Though it all comes clear at the end, this tour de force will be frightening to young viewers, but it would be a piece of Sherlock Holmes for high school level viewers. Though it may be slow and plodding in the first hour when Scottie trails Madeleine Elster in his car, it soon catches on with Hitchcock’s masterful storytelling along with the suspenseful and mystic truth. With each suicide attempt, failed rescues and an ending with the horrid, though common truth, Vertigo gives The Master’s best.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion July 22, 2009

Engaging and Brilliant!

This is a great movie! It is engaging, thoughtful, and features great acting, a great score, and brilliant direction on the part of Alfred Hitchcock. There are some mature thematic elements (deceit, murder, obsession, etc.) and some intense, disturbing images (a woman trying to commit suicide, a woman falling off a belltower, etc).
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover27 February 17, 2012

Great thriller

This movie is a fabulous psychological thriller, but it's not for kids. I seriously thought it was going to give me nightmares, but luckily I'm not a movie-gives-me-nightmares sort of person. It was very well done and actually I really liked the second half, even though many didn't. Be warned, this isn't the best movie to watch at night by yourself. Not that there is violence or scary images, it has lots of dark scenes and suspense. And James Stewart, phwooaarr, I love him in all his movies!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 4, 2011

Absolutely amazing.

My rating: PG-13 for some suspenseful content.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjohnwi312 December 27, 2009

Beautiful and dark.

Brilliant, although not for kids - the actual content is all PG-rated, but the film has an intensely dark atmosphere and the themes of obsession would probably go over their heads. OK for mature, smart older kids.
Adult Written byUnknown Agent November 20, 2015

Great

Great movie. Contains some passionate kissing and some mild violence.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byguillaumetricot July 22, 2015

MASTERPIECE

This movie has an excellent and unpredictable storyline that is nowadays uncommon. Vertigo is pure Hitchcock, the end is extremely surprising. I recommend to watch this movie on a rainy sunday afternoon with your family. This movie shows no violence nor sex. Recomend it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTiger13 June 16, 2015
Good Movie like all his other films, but had some weird touches to the movie...
Teen, 14 years old Written byProjektor June 13, 2015

This is very good thriller movie.

This movie is very exciting and opressive. This movie have some sensuality.
Adult Written bysarge123 January 24, 2015

Incredibly dark and disturbing, but a brilliant film.

The ending is one of the most shocking and disturbing I've ever seen. The film revolves around a man manipulating a women to pretend to be another woman whom he failed to keep alive. Themes of suicide, obsession and possible necrophilic undertones.
Adult Written byArkmabat January 18, 2014

I watched this with my family when I was in middle school...

Really interesting movie with an obvious dark overtone. Violence is the only real issue. That, and a character likes a woman who he doesn't know the marital status of.
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2013

Many people fall...

In several scenes people fall (and get pushed of buildings) and one man thinks his wife is possessed, but other than that it's not to bad.
Adult Written byfnrsgrl September 3, 2011

My favorite Hitchcock movie

Adult Written byshootingstar11 June 10, 2011

13+ Seems Ok.

I don't think the matter at hand with Vertigo is appropriateness, but rather how much your kids will be able to follow... the plot is a bit convoluted. A mature 13-year-old will be able to grasp it, albeit not the incredible, Hitchcockian Freudian undertones and subtleties, but the gist of the film itself.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPoison Ivey November 7, 2009

cool movie, but dont get me wrong: It isn't the total suspensful Hitchcock perfection I was expecting to see :(

what I mean by "not perfect" is I would expect a lot less sloppy of a movie, coming from a producer like Alfred Hitchcock. It was good. I think it would have been a whole lot better without the mushy gushy and I know thats immature for someone of my age, but I have to say that the movie was good until after the death, and then the movie started to seriously fall apart and fail. If I hadn't intended on writing this review, and I was in a movie theater, I'd have left the theater. But I also know that given the idea I couldn't have done better myself. But hey, I'm a critic, so that gives me rights? LOL Anyways it is a little viloent (a woman and a man fall from a rooftop and die) and there is sex (A LOT of making out). And it will give you nightmeres, I gurantee you that.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 November 3, 2009

Complicated but rewarding

No blood or gore being a psychological thriller, but it can get really weird and complex. The acting is great, and so is the climax of the film, it definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat.