All member reviews for Walking with Dinosaurs: The Movie

Thrilling, semi-educational CGI movie with a few scary bits.

Parent Written bymts1248 December 27, 2013

So sorry I saw this.

Bleah! Took my 5 and 7 year olds to this movie. We loved the BBC miniseries and thought we were getting more of the same. Instead, there was an inane bird talking the entire time, making anachronistic comments that weren't even funny. So many poop and puke jokes I don't even know where to start. Thanks to this movie, my 7 year old now thinks "bite me" is an okay thing to say to anyone he disagrees with. The girl dinosaur goes with whoever is the leader, because that's the way it is, which in a nature documentary might be fine, but if a boy dino says, "I love you," and she still goes with the leader who doesn't love her, what is that saying to my daughter? It's also pretty violent. When the dinos battle, the gorgasaur (sp?) grabs the pachysaurus around the neck, while the pachy yells out, "save yourself! This is worth dying for!" At one point, the protagonist is injured, and scavenger dinos come out to eat him. The hero is still alive, and says, "It's okay, go away (to his friend), I don't want you to see this." Just ew. Again, violence in nature documentaries is pretty much par for the course, but these are talking animated creatures, and hearing them give final declarative goodbyes when facing a bloody death is creepy. The movie is visually very interesting, but the story is insipid. I wanted to leave after 10 minutes, and really wanted to leave after an hour, but the 7 year old wanted to stay. My 5 year old was bored, maybe because there was only one girl character in the entire I'd say choose carefully who you choose to bring.
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2013

Dino Wonderland

This daring adventure is a great choice for people who like dinosaurs. There is some prehistoric violence, but the the movie has jokes to keep you going. The plot is not at all complicated, great for younger audiences. I think this movie is a great choice if you love dinosaurs.
Parent Written byGrandma Karen January 4, 2014

Good family movie

My grand kids ages 5 to 12 loved it and so did my husband and I.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHippoboss December 23, 2013

Better than I expected

I Loved it, I thought it would be more realistic and bad for sensitive kids. It's actually really funny and modern. I also liked the positive message of never stop fighting for someone you love. There was not that much violence just dinosaurs biting (no blood) or knocking each other around.
Adult Written bynduns January 12, 2014

This is the first time one aspect ruined a film for me

Normally, I don't judge a film harshly off of one detail. I mean, I still liked the Miramax version of The Thief and the Cobbler despite them adding useless dialog that wasn't meant to be there in the first place. However, this is one of those instances where the dialog COMPLETELY ruins the experience. Not only is it painfully obvious they added it in at the last minute, but it's always being thrown at audiences with obnoxious dialog and terrible voice acting that it makes what could have been a great film into a terrible mess. It's like the people behind it were afraid that if they didn't add a bunch of voices, kids would be bored and I really hate that.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byKarenSkyy January 5, 2014

Overall this movie was ok

There are a couple of violent scenes in this movie including one in which the two brothers basically watch their father be killed by a "meat eater". Although we don't see it we do see a reflection in Patchi's eye. In another scene Patchi's brother fights with him. A tree falls on Patchi leaving him trapped then his brother leaves him to be eaten by the other dinosaurs. Patchi does however escape and goes on to try to rescue his brother from a "meat eater" attack. The story of Patchi himself is a good one. He overcomes many hardships and obstacles while remaining positive most of the time. Patchi's brother is basically a bully who is very full of himself. Overall the movie is just ok. My 11 year old son was very bored with it but my 9 year old daughter liked it a little better. I did notice lots of people walking around in the theater as we watched the movie which you don't see when the movie is really good.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNotreDameFan April 14, 2014

FAILURE

WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SAW
Written byAnonymous March 28, 2014

The most violent kids film of 2013

Holy cow this is so violent! MESSAGES: There is a lot of great messages scattered around the movie especially brought by John Leguizamo's character (terrific performance by him) about standing up to yourself and if you die, die for something good. ROLE MODELS: I would really say that the role model of choice is Patchi's dad but none other role models VIOLENCE: Holy cow this movie is disturbing for young viewers. Dinosaurs eating other dinosaurs, disturbing death scenes (it's shown off camera but you can see it clearly in the dinosaur's eyes if you see it in 3D) and an unexcpected (and unnecessary) jumpscare. SEX: None LANGUAGE: None CONSUMERISM: None DRINKING: None DRUGS: None SMOKING: None
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2015

Perfect for kids to learn!

If they hear new words such as "Herbivore", "Carnivore", or "Omnivore", they can learn what those words are. This is an educational movie for kids. Just be careful at the end as there is a jumpscare scene.
Kid, 11 years old June 8, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byDinosaurhunter1 April 6, 2015

Good,I guess

I am a long time Walking With Dinosaurs fan, I was really excited to watch this movie. I found out about it in the summer of 2013 and waited all the way until December just to hear them speak :/ .Having TALKING dinosaur in a movie based off THE BEST DINOSAUR DOCUMENTRY PROBABLY IN EXISTANCE in not what I wanted. However I did see the movie and it wasn't a disappointment, it was amazing. But I still don't get how they could do this to what is probably the best dinosaur documentary. If you have a kid who loves dinosaurs, they'll probably love it (like I did), but just make sure that they aren't to0 used to the walking with dinosaurs documentary. If they are, they might be disappointed once they find out that they talk, but they'll probably end up loving it :).
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byStormi May 9, 2014

Not as expected but still cute.

I was expecting a bit more documentary style instead of the story line they gave but it was still cute. Storyline was simple and had a few good learning moments in it. Overall enjoyable but not amazing. My girls loved that the runt who got picked on rose to be the leader because he was the smartest instead of the strongest.