All parent member reviews for WALL-E

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjflynn22 December 4, 2008

Great movie!

I'm suprised to see all the negative reviews. I didn't think this movie was boring at all. Our whole family loved it. It really is the cutest, most charming movie I've seen in a long time. Much better than Madagascar 2.
Adult Written byhpdvs2 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byseapups4me April 9, 2008

My son's first movie

This was the first full-length movie my son (2 1/2)saw in the theater, and I was pleased with it. He gets scared easily, and there was only one scene that he didn't like: when the rocket lands on Earth the first time. Otherwise, he seemed to enjoy the rest of it and had no trouble being entertained by the first 20 minutes of dialogue-free action.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykarinrg April 9, 2008

Adult Written byjjaxx April 9, 2008

My 4 Year Old Hated It!!!

My son was so excited to see it. We figured it was pretty safe since it was Pixar. Wrong!! He was bored after 20 minutes of it and started to ask to go home. Hating to waste money, we stuck with it through the show. It was still a waste of money. While the graphics were wonderful, the plot was completely out there and the entire thing was a political statement. If I wanted to pay $30 for a political statement, I'd buy tickets to the presidential debates. Seriously, I go to the movies to be entertained, not force fed someone's messed up version how life will be. Besides, my family already recycles, reuses, and goes to the gym several times a week.
Adult Written byhildah79 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byashadoodle April 9, 2008

Good life lessons

When I watched this, I was surprised at all the realism in this children's movie. It teaches lessons such as enviromentalism, compassion, and the ill affects of laziness, with consequence rather than a picture perfect example. Wall-E was a wonderful movie for the whole family to watch together and discuss.
Adult Written bymbryant April 9, 2008

Excellent message lost on younger audience

We recently took our two children ages 3 and 4 to see this movie. We are always concerned about content and language as most movies rated G still have words we don't allow. This movie was a pleasant surprise. However, our kids were bored right away. Our 4 year old kept asking us "What's happening?" the entire time. Our 3 year old fell asleep! We stuck it out but felt disappointed that the movie made no sense to our kids and wouldn't for several years.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byChefMom April 9, 2008

Adult Written byNetbug009 April 9, 2008

Absolutely Beautiful

WALL-E is a movie of few words, and I have few words that I can use to describe it that would do it justice. Insanely unique, incredibly animated, well written, and full of heart, this is Pixar's best work yet. In fact, this is the best animated film I have ever seen, and I am a cartoon JUNKIE. Heck, forget the animated adjective. This is the best film I have ever seen. Never before has a movie gotten so chocked up before. Not only does it have a clever and unique plot, but it also looks incredible. It's not just the sum of it's technology, so it's still 100% worth it on DVD, but MAN, it looks pretty and sounds fantastic. I highly recommend seeing this in theaters. Despite what people are saying, this is not a movie made to preach to kids about the enviorment and over consumerism. While these are not bad messages in this reviewer's opinion, this is first and foremost a love story. Spend too much time trying to think about the message that people think Mr. Stanton was trying to say and you'll miss it. Seriously, go read some of the interviews with the writer folks. Please? Oh, and by the way, the short before the movie, Presto, is hilarious and charming. Parents should get a kick out of the homage to Warner Brothers, and kids will enjoy it too.
Adult Written bycstrick April 9, 2008

Strict parent thinks this is the best kids movie in AGES!

My son is 5, my daughter 3. I do not let them watch television, because of inappropriate content of shows these days, and the commercials in-between, and the types of videos they are allowed to watch are at the level of Thomas the Tank Engine (i.e. No superheroes, little Disney, etc in our house---they are too violent with bad language!) Now that you know my attitude towards appropriate media for my children: my husband and I both agreed that WALL-E is fantastic; definitely the best kids movie since Nemo. I disagree with all viewers who called this movie boring; maybe their kids are used to Disney movies with lots of fast action. I agree with all reviews that said this was artsy, with a strong social message. My kids were mesmerized, and came out of the show cheering. The message of love & caring is wonderful, and while there is little dialog for the first half of the movie, another plus side of this movie is does not have ANY of the 'bad words' that seem to NOT be considered bad words in most other kids movies, e.g. idiot, stupid, moron. NONE OF THAT HERE! Yes, the rockets were loud, but that it about 15 seconds of the movie. Yes, humans are portrayed as obese. This is not intended as a personal insult to movie-goers, as some reviews make it sound; it is part of the plot. The ship that was supposed to be in orbit for 5 years was there for 700 years, and humans have been on 'vacation' all of that time, and have to relearn how to be 'themselves.' This theme is established immediately when people do arrive on the scene. I'm so glad that our family found a 'G' movie that we agree is really 'G'.
Adult Written byMentoring Mom April 9, 2008

Powerful Environmental Message

Ok, I'm not a big environmentalist, but I am a big fan of New York City. Seeing it covered in trash while the main character re-plays the New York street dancing scene from "Hello Dolly" made me weep openly. You may call it propaganda, but I think film makers have a responsibility to say SOMETHING--and not just amuse the public. That's just good film making. I don't have to agree with the message to acknowledge that. I take my own kids and the two that I mentor to the movies, then I encourage them to talk about what they've seen and what the writer intended by writing the script. That's how you teach discernment. That there is little dialogue is a PLUS in my book. The audience is forced to draw conclusions based on the characters' behavior--without being spoon-fed. The youngest in our group--an "at risk" girl of 10--found the movie to be very frustrating, and gave it a zero because she "couldn't understand what was going on." But on questioning, it was clear that she did understand almost all of it. The other kids (ages 10 to 15) gave it high marks. I do not feel the film makers were abusing overweight people, but they were clearly condemning a sedentary/passive lifestyle as extremely unhealthy for body and mind and I happen to agree with that!
Adult Written byjan828 April 9, 2008

Hilarious!

We loved this movie. We saw it with 14 kids 11-14, and we were all laughing and enjoyed it immensely! It has a great message. I would recommend it for any age.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byResponsibleParent April 9, 2008

A great movie, but some violence

Know your child because of the violence. May need to watch with your child to explain some parts. All in all great for kids 8 and up with so many great thematic messages and a wonderful story!
Adult Written byStolz25 April 9, 2008

Did Moveon.org make this movie?

I honestly can't believe the reviews this movie is getting. When it wasn't slow and boring it was completely stupid. I found myself lamenting the choice to go see it over the Adam Sandler movie, which looks like complete junk. If you make it past the first 40 minutes of Wall-E walking around and picking up trash, then you'll get treated with a heavy dose of liberal message. Apparently New York gets so much garbage piled up at some point in the future that they have to move to outer space. I'm assuming this happens everywhere, but the movie only shows New York City. The people of Earth are apparently advanced enough to build a huge space cruise ship with an unlimited food supply and robots to do every single job needed, but not able to clean up Earth, so they leave. Apparently humans who are free to do whatever they want all day will just sit in a chair and become fat and lazy. There are no artists, no athletes, no hobby enthusiasts, no scientists, nothing, just fat people who can't move because manual labor no longer needs to be done. Instead of being a huge boon to society, free time is viewed as evil and the fat people who couldn't move victims of a society that could give them anything they wanted. This ridiculous premise was enough for me to want to walk out of the movie right there, without the obvious "save the environment" message. Summary: save your money and your time doing something other than watching this movie.
Adult Written bymom of 2 under 7 April 9, 2008

Left with my sobbing 4 year old after 15 minutes

My 4 year old daughter is a strong, clever little force, but the noise decibel once the film started, desolate environment of the opening sequence, and the crashing down of the rocket ship with a shaking Wall-E, was too much for her. I agree wholeheartedly with earlier postings that this is quite a good movie for 7 and up. Unless your young child has already experienced/watched his/her fair share of loud, disturbing tv/films to have been desensitized, I would hold off seeing this until they have experienced more of the world. This was her first film in a theater. My 6 year old is supposed to see this film on Sunday with a birthday party. I showed her some trailers online and she thinks she can handle it. We'll see. Hopefully the noise level won't be as painful. I think that was a big contributing factor.
Adult Written bypinerivergirl April 9, 2008

My family liked it but I didn't

I couldn't get into the characters and felt that they were flat. My husband thought the opposite and was impressed with the range of emotions shown. I found the scenes desolate and depressing. It was a long, boring movie to me. I can see I'm in the minority, that's okay too!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Good but...

I didn't leave with the WOW WHAT A GREAT MOVIE feeling that I've gotten after watching other Pixar creations. And, perhaps more tellingly, my 7 yo son did not ask if we could buy it when it comes out on DVD. I had to do a lot of whispered explaining during the film - where is Wall-E, where did everyone else go, where did all the trash come from, why are all the people so fat, why don't they know there's a swimming pool, etc. I'm pretty sure the environmental msg went over his head but he'd probably get it on subsequent viewings. That said, there's nothing offensive in the film. Some kids may find Wall-E's sadness troubling (he's a VERY emotive robot!) but there is, of course, a happy ending. And it's a good starting point for environmental discussion/awareness.
Adult Written byMg April 9, 2008

Be Ready to explain.

My headline, be ready to explain was so true with my 2 grandchildren. Both are girls age 5 & 7. The 5 year old said " Grandma I did not know what the movie was about, but, I liked WALL E & EVE. When I asked my 7 year old what she thought she simply said "It was ok". The movie was way over their heads and they are intelligent children. Trying to explain the content was vey hard for me, because they are smart and I did not want to frighten them. How do you tell a 5 & 7 year old that what they are looking at is Earth, where they live. I could not do that because they would have thought that some time soon they would not have a place to live and everything would look like the movie. Yes WALL E and EVE were cute. The message was certainly there for us to see. We got it. However, I as a Grandmother thought it was very depressing. Leave the social issues out of childrens movies. Or address them in a different fashion that is not frightening. Give them stories with meanings, but don't slap them in the face with it and leave it to the parents to pay the price of the movie and drinks etc, then have to try to explain social issues to children who are too young to have to deal with that at this time in their lives.