All member reviews for War Horse

Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 2, 2012

This heart wrenchingly sad epic shows us that Spielberg is back on the top of his game, once again

Steven Spielberg's second holiday movie this Christmas is of course, War Horse. And, while I was greatly dissapointed, and still am with Tintin, this time around, I can happily and very gladly say that War Horse is yet another towering achievement for big time director Steven Spielberg. I really can't tell you how nice it is to know that a director such as Steven Spielberg is finally back on the top of his game, so even though I am still repressing Tintin, I know many people loved it, so I won't dwell too much on the past. and besides, War Horse is a beautifully made, powerfully filmed epic that had me wondering one of many questions throughout this masterpiece: Why do we not have enough World War 1 movies? Well, let's just hope to god that this movie will usher in a whole new legion of World War 1 movies. Spielberg directs War horse with such a good eye for touching, heartwarming and absolutely heart wrenchingly sad moments that it's just almost impossible for the vipers not to be completely lost in that little filmaking world of his. Still, despite the PG-13 rating that the film has been given by the MPAA, it is definitely not for young viewers or even very young teens: The movie starts off quietly and peaceful, and even lightheartedly, enough, but once the horrors of war begin, we see first hand what waited for them there, with extremely loud sounds of bombs being dropped and people dying everywhere filling the soundtrack, and with images of the dead and wounded filling the screen, these are extremely intense moments that could even be to much for some young teens, let alone tween's and children. Also, there is some infrequent drinking and alcohol consumption in the form of one particular and important main character, and finally, there is some infrequent but moderate British profanity throughout the movie, as well. So, if you wan't to see a real Steven Spielberg movie this Holiday Season, than skip Tintin and go see War Horse.
Teen, 16 years old Written byslash16 January 3, 2012

war horse

its a very touching film that is great.
Kid, 11 years old January 6, 2012

oh, come on people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, come on people!!! yes, i'm talkn' to all you other cridicts who did not like war horse!!!! THIS WAS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A LONG TIME!!!!!!!!! WATCH IT NOW!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old December 25, 2011

Sad as Heck

Very sad, very violent, and one of my new favorite movies.
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2012

An instant classic!

Amazing movie about war, loss, and love. Spielberg's best since E. T. There are some violent war images including abuse to horses and a horse falling onto a barbed wire fence. There are also explosions, dead bodies of two young boys, an execution, and other war related deaths. Most killings are off screen or implied. This movie is an excellent peace off work. An instant classic. There is no sex or language except for some mild flirtations. 13 + on pg-13 for intense sequences of war violence 2hrs and 22 mins
Kid, 12 years old February 15, 2012

Amazing movie!

There was a scene where Joey cut himself on the barbed wire but that is only rubber.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviefan115 January 23, 2012

Poor Joey :(

Congratulations, Spielberg for you directed a movie worthy of the levels that made Schindler's List and E.T. timeless classics. Though it was too violent for a family movie, it's very beautiful, and has the right ingredients for a great film. The real star is Joey. He plays a horse so convincing, hopeful, and tragic that the Academy should give him an Oscar along with Winter, Uggie, and Cosmo. My only concern is that it may too be intense for younger viewers, but it will be an excellant choice to watch.
Kid, 12 years old January 21, 2012

Amazing Movie!!!

War Horse is an AMAZING movie.But it is rated PG-13 for a reason.The movie takes place WW1.It's about a teenage boy named Albert who has raised his horse,Joey,since he was a colt.When Albert's family hits hard times,Albert's dad sells Joey to the army.Albert then joins the army in hopes of finding him.Albert's dad frequently gets drunk.It also shows two young soldiers getting shot for going AWOL.(Why would they come after two boys???)And British soldiers invade a German camp,slashing at anybody in their path.None of the British survive(machine guns),except for the general,who gets taken as a prisoner of war.Horses get shot when they can no longer be used.Joey's friend since the beginning of the war dies in a very sad scene.One scene includes German missiles being dropped on the group of soldiers that Albert is in.GREAT movie,but plenty of violence.Pause before taking your kid to see it.
Kid, 10 years old January 2, 2012

great for pre teens.

Very Good Movie I really enjoyed it. Really intense ans some violence it has some language but it is mild and it some blood. It is good for pre teens.
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2012

ick

This is a very disturbing!!!! DONT WACTH IT!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bySpencer15 June 25, 2015

War Horse

Love this movie it is one of my favorite war movies, touching and pretty sad I loved it it was great!
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew February 12, 2015

Emotional but beautiful Spielberg film is very graphic

My rating: PG-13 for war violence,language,sexuality and thematic material
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy July 27, 2014

For Mature Tweens and up

I first watched this movie when I was 12 years old and I was fine with it. The violence is not too bad, but their is a far amount of death and gunfire war scenes, just not much blood. Horses are shot, so not great for animal lovers. If you have seen a movie like Rambo (2008) and War Horse, you know the difference between bloody, violent battles and more mild battles. Warhorse has mild violent battles and not much language and no sex/nudity so its fine for tweens and maybe 10 year olds at the least if they are super mature and if you are okay with letting them see violence on this level. 11+
Kid, 12 years old July 16, 2014

A very good Steven Spielberg movie, appropriate 12 year olds and up

War horse is a beautiful, heart-warming movie with terrific background music, by John Williams. Although the war scenes are not that violent, younger kids might find them somewhat disturbing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byragtagmisfit February 15, 2014

Great movie for all people!

This movie is without a doubt a great flick! The messages are heart-warming and positive, and the acting and story-line is magnificent. The movie is violent, but no violence was ever close-up. It can be a bit dark at times, so be cautious if you have a younger, more sensitive child. There are also many great things to discuss in this movie, like having to give up everything for the war or the bond between Albert and Joey. Overall, this movie would be fine for most 12-year-olds and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrating_guy November 8, 2013

War horse review

Good but predictable plot PG-13: Thematic war violence and images/ why: the war scenes include bodies, scared soldiers and a gas scene. IT MAY BE TO MUCH FOR YOUNG KIDS OR WAR VETERANS
Teen, 14 years old Written byJacktheCool August 14, 2013

Nice Film

The movie makes me cry! This movie is awesome! I think it's okay to let little children to look at this film! Very strong positive message
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlueHorse July 22, 2013

Spielberg Rocks

I loved this film. It is a tearjerker, and pretty violent. Spielberg has directed yet another one of my favorite films.
Teen, 15 years old Written byArpy May 31, 2013

Not that violent

Although most reviews cite violence as the main problem with this one, I found it no more violent than other action movies (Narnia stands out in my mind); and there is not very much blood. There is a scene with gas in the end, which could be disturbing for kids who aren't used to WWI stuff. I was expecting a very disturbing film but found it surprisingly not. There is some British cussing, which might pose a problem for American kids who tend to repeat things. Albie is a very good character, a hard-worker and good role-model.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShayiscool February 15, 2013

11+

may contain some medium langage also a bit sceary