All member reviews for We Bought a Zoo

Family film tackles grief with humor and deep empathy.

Parent Written byerinw2 November 2, 2014

it should be pg-13

Teen, 15 years old Written byRadelite October 24, 2014

My favorite movie ever.

This movie touches me to the heart every time I watch it to the point where I have cried and I am not the type of person to cry much. There is just something about it that makes me watch it over and over again, might be because I had to move from a place I lived most of my life in and I see the older brother as sorta as me. Parents this is a great movie for the family if you don't mind a lot of swearing....
Written byAnonymous October 10, 2014

Perfect family movie has some strong language

This movie has some strong language (a--hole, d--k) and some violent content (men throw darts at a picture of a man, men shut another man in his room, zoo officials use tranquilizers on a bear, Ben's son draws violent pictures) but all in all it's one of my favorite family dramas.
Kid, 10 years old September 29, 2014

We Bought a zoo

The movie is good for kids ages 10 and up language includes swearing , Dylan mee kicks a snake bucket if it is a soccer ball consumer products can be seen through out the movie .Consumer products include Ford,Home Depot, Target, H&R Block ,.
Kid, 11 years old March 5, 2014

Great movie

This movie was great and sad. It had an amazing plot and is a true story. It is good for age 11 up
Kid, 10 years old January 20, 2014

we bought a zoo

I think you should be very careful about who you show this to how ever I was seven when I saw it and I was perfectly fine I guess it just depends on maturity.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAsherhen December 31, 2013

Fun loving, cute, family friendly film!

It's great!
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2013

Good

This movie was not bad, just a little bland.
Kid, 9 years old December 30, 2013

Good Movie!

Overall, it was a pretty good movie. It's a must watch if you really like animals.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDoritos-6 November 4, 2013

Good Movie But Strong Language

Kid, 12 years old August 31, 2013

Great family movie, Loved it

Really love this movie. Positive messages include determination, family, friends, and animals. A couple of swears, and some striking drawings, but nothing that would upset most kids. A couple of sensitive parts mention the Benjamin's wife, who passed away six months before. Positive role models include Benjamin Mee, who evidently cared a lot about his kids, Kelly, who gave up so much for a zoo, and even Mee's children, Dylan and Rosie. Must-see, loved the movie, (cried a little), great for family
Teen, 13 years old Written byWildAnatolian June 22, 2013

We Bought a Zoo

This movie is a very special gem. It expresses some very intense emotion that may upset little ones though. It also has a very good story and good messages about the hardships and strengths of family and has some good laughs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byemcfa3000 May 27, 2013

GOOd

Not very unsuitable. For older viewers but not too old, it's a film about a family who bought a zoo, it's not made for adults, but adults would find it entertaining, it's based on a true story.
Kid, 9 years old May 10, 2013

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I will admit that language is a problem, but honestly the film is PG and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a U!!!!!!
Adult Written bywonder dove April 19, 2013

Nice story! (Language isn't a huge deal!)

I thought the movie was really quite good, however I've never liked the idea of Zoos in the first place. I think animals should be free and live free, not be put on display for human entertainment. So I dropped one star from my rating. The story is basically about a family trying to move on after a loved one has died. Matt Damon plays a good, loyal father who wants his kids to be happy. He ends up buying a zoo that pretty much brings everyone together, solving problems and starting fresh. Good movie with good messages about helping each other grow and becoming better people. It is sometimes very sad when you see the father grieving over his wife and remembering good times with her.Violence includes a confused teenagers drawings of dark and scary pictures, a tranquilizer gun is used on a bear and a boy kicks a snake out of anger, also a loud argument between father & son. Sexual content includes some flirting, a kiss between adults, a teenage boy tells a teenage girl he loves her. A portrait of a woman topless but covering her breasts with her arms (nothing drastic, very mild!) There is some drinking throughout. The language isn't THAT bad as some people are freaking out over - I counted 5 words throughout the whole 2 hour movie that may be upsetting, but it's not a huge deal! I heard "h*ll" a couple of times, "bullsh*t" from an upset teenage boy, "sh*t" referring to animal poop, "a$$hole" from the father and a little girl says "everyone says you're a d*ck" to a really grumpy man which is supposed to be funny...indicating that children pick up words easily even if they don't understand them. She didn't say it because she knew what it meant. Good for 10+, don't let a couple of words stop you from watching !!
Kid, 11 years old December 9, 2012

Pretty dang good.

Mr. Mee and his daughter are pretty good role models for younger kids. The son, though, scared me a little with his decapitated head portrait, and how he draws/what he draws. There's a yelling scene between the dad and the boy, and they curse a lot. There's a bit of crying, depressing scenes, like when Spar, a tiger, dies. Crystal the monkey, although doesn't have much screen time, is a funny little thing. It's a wonderful movie, just turn away from some parts.
Parent Written byralyks November 20, 2012

Emotional movie

I watched this with my 8 year old. My only concern was the foul language (inclusing s---t and a--hole), which fortunately she did not notice or pick up. (I was startled 3-4 times by the language in a PG movie.) It gave us good grounds for discussion about death, grieving, acting out in grief, family, etc. I think it would depend on the intellectual level and "inner emotional life" of your kid as to whether this is appropriate. I think it would be boring for a child under 8.
Kid, 11 years old November 10, 2012

Nice movie, but the sadness is overwhelming

Although this movie is good, it's to sad. Before I watched this, I was totally unaware of the mother dying. I don't usually cry in movies, but I did in this one when the teenage boy yelled at his dad. Younger kids may not be able to handle it. Know your kid. Okay movie, just not my favorite.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysash99 November 9, 2012

blaa

Pretty corny and boring... The little girl is cute though.:) (And some strong language for a little kid movie.)
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeen2 November 3, 2012

If this was PG-13.....................