Family film tackles grief with humor and deep empathy.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAsherhen December 31, 2013

Fun loving, cute, family friendly film!

It's great!
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2013

Good

This movie was not bad, just a little bland.
Kid, 9 years old December 30, 2013

Good Movie!

Overall, it was a pretty good movie. It's a must watch if you really like animals.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDoritos-6 November 4, 2013

Good Movie But Strong Language

Kid, 12 years old August 31, 2013

Great family movie, Loved it

Really love this movie. Positive messages include determination, family, friends, and animals. A couple of swears, and some striking drawings, but nothing that would upset most kids. A couple of sensitive parts mention the Benjamin's wife, who passed away six months before. Positive role models include Benjamin Mee, who evidently cared a lot about his kids, Kelly, who gave up so much for a zoo, and even Mee's children, Dylan and Rosie. Must-see, loved the movie, (cried a little), great for family
Teen, 13 years old Written byWildAnatolian June 22, 2013

We Bought a Zoo

This movie is a very special gem. It expresses some very intense emotion that may upset little ones though. It also has a very good story and good messages about the hardships and strengths of family and has some good laughs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byemcfa3000 May 27, 2013

GOOd

Not very unsuitable. For older viewers but not too old, it's a film about a family who bought a zoo, it's not made for adults, but adults would find it entertaining, it's based on a true story.
Kid, 9 years old May 10, 2013

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I will admit that language is a problem, but honestly the film is PG and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a U!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old December 9, 2012

Pretty dang good.

Mr. Mee and his daughter are pretty good role models for younger kids. The son, though, scared me a little with his decapitated head portrait, and how he draws/what he draws. There's a yelling scene between the dad and the boy, and they curse a lot. There's a bit of crying, depressing scenes, like when Spar, a tiger, dies. Crystal the monkey, although doesn't have much screen time, is a funny little thing. It's a wonderful movie, just turn away from some parts.
Parent Written byralyks November 20, 2012

Emotional movie

I watched this with my 8 year old. My only concern was the foul language (inclusing s---t and a--hole), which fortunately she did not notice or pick up. (I was startled 3-4 times by the language in a PG movie.) It gave us good grounds for discussion about death, grieving, acting out in grief, family, etc. I think it would depend on the intellectual level and "inner emotional life" of your kid as to whether this is appropriate. I think it would be boring for a child under 8.
Kid, 11 years old November 10, 2012

Nice movie, but the sadness is overwhelming

Although this movie is good, it's to sad. Before I watched this, I was totally unaware of the mother dying. I don't usually cry in movies, but I did in this one when the teenage boy yelled at his dad. Younger kids may not be able to handle it. Know your kid. Okay movie, just not my favorite.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysash99 November 9, 2012

blaa

Pretty corny and boring... The little girl is cute though.:) (And some strong language for a little kid movie.)
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeen2 November 3, 2012

If this was PG-13.....................

Kid, 9 years old October 29, 2012

WE BOUGHT A ZOO

weird movie has to much language for a PG
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheflash9 October 28, 2012

Superb Family Drama is Definitely Worth it

We Bought a Zoo is a great movie. It's full of positive role models and good messages but there are a few iffy parts. We Bought a Zoo tells the story of Benjamin Mee (Matt Damon), his daughter his seven year old Rosie (Maggie Elizabeth Jones), and his fourteen year old son Dylan (Colin Ford). Benjamin has recently lost his wife, and Dylan is going crazy. He gets a new house in a new town to start a new life. When he finds out the house he likes is a zoo he's overjoyed and Rosie loves it, but Dylan doesn't. They're starting an adventure all over again.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNLRicci October 16, 2012

Recommended film, watch for language.

I am mostly regurgitating everything C.S.M said. Positive messages/role models- Hard work pays off. Everyone works for the greater good of the community. Mee works hard to restore his family. Violence- A graphic drawing of a zombie. Mild animal-related violence. Sex- mild flirting. Language-Language is fairly frequent includes sh*t and hell. Drugs/ alcohol- A scene in which adults look like they've had a little too much alcohol. I really enjoyed this film. It includes drama, and comedy in a way that makes it great for adults and teens. Really entertaining and realistic.
Kid, 10 years old September 10, 2012

I liked it!

This movie is very good. It was an amazing true story. Sentimental,sad,but funny. Great!
Kid, 11 years old September 2, 2012

fine

it was good but not for kids
Teen, 13 years old Written byILuvCandy August 6, 2012

AMAZIN

I Loved this movie even though im 13 and i watched 15 times!! Everytime i wanna watch something with family or just take a break from horror thriller and mystery this is my first choice!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byWhiplash (2003) July 31, 2012