All member reviews for We Bought a Zoo

Family film tackles grief with humor and deep empathy.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySirkin reviews June 13, 2012

Sirkin Reviews

An absolute tear jerker and an instant family classic. I rate this an A+
Kid, 10 years old June 10, 2012

REALL AWESOMe!!!!!!

ITS AN AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written bylbtc May 30, 2012

Back to the video store

What a shame! Would have been a great movie. My son will be twelve in a few months but this is definately an off limits movie for my family.
Kid, 12 years old May 29, 2012

Uplifting

Pretty good movie very, very strong language for a PG movie but good messages and role models.
Parent Written bybredehoftvdb May 28, 2012

Not for kids younger than middle school.

Since this movie was listedn in the children and family genre, and rated PG, my husband and I rented it for the family watch. Our oldest is 8 and our youngest 3. I would not have allowed my children to watch this had I known how bad the language was. If you are ok with the following words: bull#$%@ holy#$%@ @$$hole and the short for Richard then this movie will be fine for you. We on the other hand we shocked by the language given the rating and felt it was totally unecessary.
Parent Written byrmathiasen May 28, 2012

Great movie, but NOT for target age group

Should be rated PG-13. Includes the word sh*t several times, a**h*le at least once, & d*ck (said by the 7 year old character). Also emotionally disturbing & violent artwork by the 14 year old.
Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2012

we bought a zoo

We bought a zoo was an ok movie. It was heartwarming. I was surprised by how much language there was for a PG rated movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 25, 2012

"We Bought a Zoo" Review

I watched this movie a long time ago, but from what I remember, it taught some values and had some inappropriate content for 10 years old or younger. It is also a pretty long movie compared to most others, just in case you are short on time. Overall, it was O.K; a pretty worthwhile movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2012

Terrible Language

For a movie that is rated PG there sure is a lot of bad words. The message is fine but kids wont really understand it. The movie is okay but i am not going to buy it ever. It would be a cute movie if they edited it so that kids could watch it. This movie should have been PG-13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDancelove4eva99 May 19, 2012

Really Good for me a 13 year old but for my 8 year old sister.................

This was a really good movie but there was really bad language and other bad stuff. I really think it should of been PG13.....
Teen, 15 years old Written bywasisfun1 May 18, 2012

Should be PG-13

Way too much bad language
Parent Written byrhinomama May 18, 2012

BAD language -- very disappointed

I was REALLY disappointed with the language in this show. There were multiple incidences of HORRIBLE language, but the one that shocked me the most was when the little 5 year old girl says the word D**K a couple of times. Unbelievable. Really could have been a cute show.
Teen, 15 years old Written byReyna0202 May 15, 2012

Unnecessary language

You would think it would be a nice family movie to watch but it isn't. I watched the movie at the movie theater and there were little kids that were laughing at the bad words when they didn't even know what it meant and the bad words weren't even necessary. The little girl saying d***k was just crossing the line. It should be rated PG-13 because the language was unnecessary. It couldn't be any worse for a PG rated movie.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez May 13, 2012

12 and up.

this drama movie We Bought a Zoo is a great powerful emotional movie stars with Matt Damon and all though the movie is PG rated but the movie does have some themes that no young kids should handle such as death and loss only teens 12 and up can handle this type of theme and parents there's only a few things that you need to worry about in this movie the movie has some mild language used for a PG movie and some social drinking used this movie has a great message about that Mee and his team at the zoo all work together for a common good. Open communication, empathy, and effort make the new venture work and help heal the family and the role models are great Mee is genuinely interested in giving his kids a new adventure so that they, and he, can find joy again after his wife's death. He makes mistakes, but through it all, he keeps the lines of communication open with his kids, especially his 14-year-old, who starts out as rebellious and surly Even Mee's brother, who doesn't always see things his way, winds up supportive. Kelly is a strong woman who's confident about her zookeeping skills and has genuine affinity for the animals.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bybethanystardust May 6, 2012

Good movie ruined by foul language and incorrect use of the rating system

My only complaint about this movie is the swearing. Never did I expect a PG movie to have language like this does, especially not from the mouth of a child. I was mortified that I allowed my 8 year old to watch this. He told me later that what he didn't like in it was the swearing. :( I'm glad he was distracted during the Easter Bunny part, too. This movie should easily be PG 13 based on subject matter, foul language, and disturbing drawings. Guess I'll have to check CSM for all movies from now on!
Kid, 6 years old May 4, 2012

We Bought a Zoo Review

Good movie for older children, but is a good movie. I think that people who watch this who have younger children should not watch it because it does have swears. But I did enjoy the movie.
Adult Written byHunger Games Fan April 29, 2012

We Bought a Zoo Review

Lots of swearing, average for PG-13 movies. Also some scary violent somewhat gory pictures that Dylan draws, can be tense and frighting to some younger veiwers.
Kid, 11 years old April 29, 2012

Should be rated PG 13

Not good. Not worth seeing. Even though it sounds like a cute family film. It is not! There is way to much cursing and that is coming from a kid. Plus kids curse in this. Who wants to see a kid curse? I know I don't.
Parent Written byRacetrip April 21, 2012

Are vulgar words in PG family movies now acceptable?

If you think it's okay for little girls to say "d**k" in a family movie then this movie is for you! But if you're a mature parent you wont bring your child/children to see this movie - am I too harsh? Then ask yourself this, would you bring your kids to a family movie if a little girl said "p***y" or "c**t"?
Parent Written byilovetoteach April 14, 2012

Horrible language!

VERY disappointed with this movie! Took my three kids (ages 9, 7, 5) and was mortified at the awful language!!!! TOO much for a PG rating!!! Parents of young kids - stay away!!!