All member reviews for We Bought a Zoo

Family film tackles grief with humor and deep empathy.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykatcar12 July 21, 2012

Cute movie

Some sad parts... but very cute and it has a good message
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 July 15, 2012

A good story makes a a decent famliy movie.

This movie has little humor, but some. It is very emotionally intense at parts and there may be a view grisly drawings that would upset very young kids. There is some stronger language, but not often. This should be fine for older kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjb321678 July 5, 2012

Wonderful family drama pushes the limits with language.

I really liked We Bought a Zoo. I liked it a lot. The story was sweet and the acting was superb. To be honest with you, I strive for movies like these. I'm a fourteen year old boy who is supposed to be into violence and stuff and while I like stuff like that, a good drama can do a lot more than any superhero movie can. Dramas can relate to you personally that really makes you think about your life. In my opinion, We Bought a Zoo really does that. It does that well. In the film Matt Damon plays a single dad that recently lost his wife. He and his kids relationships are at steak. In a crazy attempt to get his family back on track he buys a zoo not knowing what it will bring him and hopes for the best. The film itself mostly feels very realistic. Matt Damon was excellent at his role and did a great job. This film really can make you think about how important family is and how getting through hard things is essential to life. There were a few complaints I had. For instance there was a teenage romance. I really liked the teenage romance and I thought it was really cute and sweet. The problem with though was it was somewhat unrealistic. There also was a dispute between one character and another and one of the characters would rage screaming he would kill the other character. It obviously was for humor purposes but it was not realistic too. Although those can easily be put aside with all the other things the film does right. Also, for a PG film the language was pretty intense. S*** was used a good 3-4 times and little girl said d*** and it was not the mild D word. In my opinion this film is more for a older family with mature pre-teens and teens. Overall, this is a must see. With very mild problems and a great story, We Bought a Zoo is very well done.
Teen, 14 years old Written byant18 July 3, 2012

goog for 12 and up

this movie was very touching and emotional, i enjoyed it thoroughly and also worth buying
Parent Written bytarmale June 27, 2012

Disappointed by the language

I was so looking forward to this movie as it seemed like a very "Hallmark" like story. I just watched it with my 7 year old and was shocked and turned off by all the language! It's a pg movie! I wouldn't even feel comfortable watching it with my 14 year old.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow June 18, 2012

Big-hearted and sweet, with great intentions

This is a very inspirational movie, with tons of positive messages and role models. It's plot might be predictable, so many might say that it has a one-message premise: to protect animals. But that is what's so great about it. It is simple and tries to evoke charm. It does have some strong PG language like "d*ck" and "sh*t", and Benjamin's son is seen drawing some disturbing images. There is also some product placement, like Apple, Subway, and Home Depot. But these are all no doubt compensated by the film's messages. Great for families!
Teen, 13 years old Written byI like family guy June 16, 2012

We bought a zoo review

I like the movie
Teen, 15 years old Written bySirkin reviews June 13, 2012

Sirkin Reviews

An absolute tear jerker and an instant family classic. I rate this an A+
Kid, 10 years old June 10, 2012

REALL AWESOMe!!!!!!

ITS AN AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written bylbtc May 30, 2012

Back to the video store

What a shame! Would have been a great movie. My son will be twelve in a few months but this is definately an off limits movie for my family.
Kid, 12 years old May 29, 2012

Uplifting

Pretty good movie very, very strong language for a PG movie but good messages and role models.
Parent Written bybredehoftvdb May 28, 2012

Not for kids younger than middle school.

Since this movie was listedn in the children and family genre, and rated PG, my husband and I rented it for the family watch. Our oldest is 8 and our youngest 3. I would not have allowed my children to watch this had I known how bad the language was. If you are ok with the following words: bull#$%@ holy#$%@ @$$hole and the short for Richard then this movie will be fine for you. We on the other hand we shocked by the language given the rating and felt it was totally unecessary.
Parent Written byrmathiasen May 28, 2012

Great movie, but NOT for target age group

Should be rated PG-13. Includes the word sh*t several times, a**h*le at least once, & d*ck (said by the 7 year old character). Also emotionally disturbing & violent artwork by the 14 year old.
Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2012

we bought a zoo

We bought a zoo was an ok movie. It was heartwarming. I was surprised by how much language there was for a PG rated movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 25, 2012

"We Bought a Zoo" Review

I watched this movie a long time ago, but from what I remember, it taught some values and had some inappropriate content for 10 years old or younger. It is also a pretty long movie compared to most others, just in case you are short on time. Overall, it was O.K; a pretty worthwhile movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2012

Terrible Language

For a movie that is rated PG there sure is a lot of bad words. The message is fine but kids wont really understand it. The movie is okay but i am not going to buy it ever. It would be a cute movie if they edited it so that kids could watch it. This movie should have been PG-13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDancelove4eva99 May 19, 2012

Really Good for me a 13 year old but for my 8 year old sister.................

This was a really good movie but there was really bad language and other bad stuff. I really think it should of been PG13.....
Teen, 15 years old Written bywasisfun1 May 18, 2012

Should be PG-13

Way too much bad language
Teen, 15 years old Written byReyna0202 May 15, 2012

Unnecessary language

You would think it would be a nice family movie to watch but it isn't. I watched the movie at the movie theater and there were little kids that were laughing at the bad words when they didn't even know what it meant and the bad words weren't even necessary. The little girl saying d***k was just crossing the line. It should be rated PG-13 because the language was unnecessary. It couldn't be any worse for a PG rated movie.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bybethanystardust May 6, 2012

Good movie ruined by foul language and incorrect use of the rating system

My only complaint about this movie is the swearing. Never did I expect a PG movie to have language like this does, especially not from the mouth of a child. I was mortified that I allowed my 8 year old to watch this. He told me later that what he didn't like in it was the swearing. :( I'm glad he was distracted during the Easter Bunny part, too. This movie should easily be PG 13 based on subject matter, foul language, and disturbing drawings. Guess I'll have to check CSM for all movies from now on!