All member reviews for We Need to Talk About Kevin

Bleak film about disturbed teen is difficult to watch.

Teen, 16 years old Written byB-KMastah April 23, 2013

Masterful and haunting.

This is officially one of — if not the most — disturbing films I've ever seen. I've always had a fear of children but this utilizes it to the max, and extremely effectively at that. It's very minimalist and that, combined with the masterful acting, creates an almost unbearable sense of dread. Watching Kevin's psychological issues unfold and reach an ultimate peak is darkly thrilling while being actually very sad. The characters are very minimal but are completely full-fledged; that's a testament to the directing and acting. Kevin at times is an anti-hero due to his clearly sick state of mind, yet he's the pinnacle of devious. His mother is a sad, desperate woman trying to save a child, and his father is an ironically optimistic man. It's a film that will leave you feeling cold about life, and that's of the highest praise to the filmmaking. 9.5/10, incredible, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
Teen, 15 years old Written byraka73 July 18, 2012

We Need To Talk About This Movie

I convinced my dad to let me watch this movie and we both loved it. It's a disturbing, fairly accurate portrayal of a young psychopath and how a school shooting changes his mother's life. *SPOILERS AHEAD* The movie is about Kevin's mother reflecting on her son's life after Kevin killed several of his classmates. The movie has a scene where she and Kevin's father are having unprotected sex, but no nudity is shown. When Kevin is about five, his mother explains where babies come from, as she is pregnant again, and he blatantly says, "Is this about f***ing?" I've heard a lot of swearing, but I was surprised to hear that out of a five year old's mouth! When Kevin is older his mother catches him masturbating in the bathroom and continues for a few seconds after he is found, looking his mother straight in the eyes. When his mother takes a CD from Kevin's room and puts it in her computer, it becomes infected with a virus and pictures of topless women briefly appear on the screen, along with a blue screen and a creepy clown icon, before the computer crashes. After Kevin's arrest a man who works with Kevin's mother tries to get her to have sex with him. When she declines him, he tells her no one else is going to want her because everyone knows that she's Kevin's mom. Kevin wore diapers until he was about four, and after he went in his clean diaper after his mother changed it, she pushed him against the wall, breaking his arm. Kevin's father buys him a bow and arrow when he's a boy (guns aren't used in this movie) and the bow and arrow is what he uses in the shooting. Several bloody bodies are seen, including the dead bodies of his father and sister. He puts his sister's guinea pig down the garbage disposal and purposefully hits her in the eye with an arrow, leading to her having to have the eye removed. There were several uses of the b word and f word, and one use of the c word. Two women come up to Kevin's mother on the street, and one of the, says, "I hope you burn in hell, b****." Kevin's mother takes him out to dinner one night and he he mentions something about, "Hooking up with some c**t" at school. After Kevin's arrest his mother is seen getting drunk every night and takes pills together, and passes out shortly after. The biggest thing about this movie is how disturbing it is. Kevin's mother is not a good one; when he's about 3 she says to him, "Mommy used to be happy before you were born" and is just not a good mother to Kevin, so he basically sets out to make her life a living hell. When his mother makes a special office for herself Kevin splatters paint all over the room. This kid is definitely a psychopath; he was born without empathy, and his upbringing helped shape his behavior. After the cast from his broken arm gets taken off, his mother wants to go to the store while they're driving in the car, but Kevin taps his once-broken arm, basically implying, "If you don't do what I say I'll tell dad about what really happened." His father babies him and his mother pays hardly any attention to him. Kevin's parents recognize that there's something wrong with their child but they don't do anything about it. When Kevin's mother finds her husband and daughter dead, you come to the realization that Kevin kept her alive so she has to deal with all the hate that'll come from the incident. Kevin's mother is hated and tormented by the whole town while Kevin sits smugly in jail. It's a dark but interesting movie that I think is for mature audiences who can grasp how twisted this movie actually is and appreciate that darkness.
Adult Written bywonder dove June 9, 2012

Too slow...

I love these types of films, but I found this one way too slow moving for my taste. Nothing actually happens until the 2nd half of the movie and watching Kevin grow up was nothing special, he just seemed like an ignorant kid who needed some discipline. I was hoping for something actually more disturbing, according to some reviews. Maybe I need to watch it again, but from what I've seen it's not really something that held my attention. Just a heads up for people who may be wanting more thrill or thinking it's an edge-of-your-seat thriller...but it's worth a look anyway.
Teen, 13 years old Written by___lauraf___ April 21, 2014

We need to talk about Kevin

It's a great film with amazing acting in it but is inappropriate for most kids as it has some sex scenes, swearing and a psychopathic teenager who murders his classmates. Even as it's inappropriate for most kids it's a good film that's interesting because it focuses on the mothers prospective and how she copes with the aftermath of Kevin's killing spree.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 29, 2013

Requires a much deeper analysis than I'm giving it

I read Shriver's novel very recently and was extremely curious to see how a novel written in letters would transition into. Lynne Ramsay's version is stylishly made, with the scene-morphing Swinton as its anchor. It is more or less her movie, as Reilly doesn't really get much screen time. Even though it is Swinton's movie, it's still all about Kevin. As Swinton has said, it is a war picture, these two people that haven't gotten along since his BIRTH. It's also a horror movie, because someone who's afraid of having kids (i.e. ME) looks at this film and sees the worst case scenario of a mother showing superficial love to her son while the son spits back venom and pure hatred. It's difficult to get into, the movie at least, because it's incredibly disturbing, but familiarizing yourself with the novel helps with some of the holes this movie has in it. Otherwise, it's very artistic, well thought over, and executed in a manner that will have you talking about its impact on our culture.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoemily November 11, 2012

kevin

This movie was great. It showed a women growing up with son who she never really wanted. As he grows older, he becomes increasingly demonic. The actors are amazing.
Adult Written bydvdkid13 January 8, 2012

Haunting and terrifying

This movie is disturbing and haunting. This is the story of a mother and how she deals with the violence her son inflicts on others. Tilda Swinton and the rest of the cast play their roles perfectly and it is almost as if you can feel the emotion (or lack thereof with Kevin). Parents especially will most likely cringe and be extremely bothered by certain elements of Kevin's character and actions. Certainly not for kids. Despite that, in my opinion, this is a movie worth seeing. The sheer amount of visual mood and expressions that convey this sense of uneasiness is an incredible cinematic achievement. Although this movie has flown under the radar, this movie will keep you thinking long afterwards. Even through the uneasy, unnerving scenes, this movie is gripping and, as a result, worth seeing.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byFilmFather January 6, 2012

Prepare to be disturbed, especially if you're a parent

Each scenario in We Need To Talk About Kevin is more unsettling and disturbing than the previous one. The interactions between Eva and Kevin are uncomfortable, pitiful, or downright heartbreaking, and any occasional glimmer of hope for these two to form a true mother-son bond is quickly dashed by the next scene. ***** This is one of the most gripping, unnerving horror/thrillers in recent history. It’s extremely powerful, yet very difficult to watch. That goes double if you’re a parent. ***** The film is rated R for “disturbing violence and behavior, some sexuality, and language.” There are several scenes of the aftermath of Kevin’s attack at his high school, with bloody bodies carried out on stretchers. Several people, including a young child, are shown dead by Kevin’s arrows. A few sexual situations are shown in shadows or silhouette, except for one fully lit scene where Eva catches Kevin in a compromising position in the bathroom. In terms of alcohol and drugs, Eva consumes a lot of wine and pills. Ironically, teenagers about Kevin's age and older would be the appropriate audience. ***** Read my full review at: filmfather [dot] blogspot [dot] com.