Musical masterpiece tackles race, with some violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybree127 December 7, 2016

Absolutely horrible - Book Wes Side Story

I can't believe this is a book that I had to read for my 9th class. I do not recommend anyone under 16 to read this book. It has many curse words, sexual innuendos and derogatory words. Really don't approve of it and I stopped halfway of chapter 3. As an LDS, I don't think this is appropriate for a teenager, and i am sad that literature needs things like these to appeal readers. Disappointed.
Kid, 9 years old February 27, 2015

West side story

I find this a good film but a little scary for a child of 8 . But for children of 11 better.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStandByMeBuddyBoy February 11, 2015

Favorite Musical

I first saw this movie when my band teacher showed it to us in 6th grade. I fell in love with the movie immediately and have loved it since (I'm actually watching it while writing this review). The music is beautiful and the relationships between the characters are very realistic. Any parent worried about the cursing: at this point, your kid most likely curses. If not now then in at least two years. This movie is a classic and every kid should see it.
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2014
Great choreography and music(particularly Officer Krupke and America) I had my head under the blankets during the rumble, but my 13 year old sister saw it and she said it started out with fist fights, then Riff and Bernardo whip out knives, SPOILER ALERT: Bernardo stabs Riff, then Tony takes Riff's knife and stabs Bernardo END OF SPOILER. Then everyone gets in a big fight and starts hitting with assorted items. Then dear officer Krupke pulls up and everyone runs. The jets smoke a lot. In one scene the jets physically abuse Anita and call her racist names. This movie is really racist,so if you don't want your kids exposed to that kind of thing, don't let them watch it. Another thing to remember is this is Romeo and Juliet, people! Of COURSE either Maria or Tony is going to die! Sorry, that was a bit harsh. But you get my point, right? Anywho, it's a really great movie. If you like this movie, add grease to your list.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhellokittycaroline March 29, 2012

You will Cry

This film is a classic. it is the winner of ten Academy Awards. I love this movie. i cry like an idiot at the end.
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2011

WATCH THIS!!

I love this play/movie. Well I did, but then I got cast as Maria in our school play and Kai's (who plays tony) breath smells terrible! It is so hard to sing duets with him!! I wanted to be a jet, maybe chino (even though I'm a girl) This movie is great! Watch it, or you will be missing out on an amazing movie.
Kid, 10 years old March 12, 2011

Awesomeness!

One of the best movies of all time. I am currently in a play of "West Side Story", starring as Maria, and so I've watched it many times. The stabbing and rumble scene is kind of violent. Girls might feel sad about the Jets taunting Anita (I did!). Overall, one of the best movies (and musicals!).
Teen, 13 years old Written byEquestrian.Samantha March 9, 2011

Absolutely Spectacular

West Side Story, I believe, is a classis for all ages. It is based on Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. You really feel for the characters by the end, as if you know them. A must see.
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2011

Musical

I love this movie, it's really good. The only thing to look out for is the violence, because of the gangs.
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2010

cool songs but very sad

i love this movie its got some great songs in but maybe a little too sad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRubberSoul August 17, 2009

Great and Brilliant

We saw this in school, and it was really cool. Really nice, and everyone should see it
Teen, 17 years old Written bycopperzinc May 29, 2009
Teen, 14 years old Written bykidreviewer April 9, 2008

A powerful story

West Side Story is one of the most moving and powerful movies you will ever see. It brings up very important issues about the lines between races and cultures, and what can happen if people think those lines shouldn't be crossed. It really made me think about how horribly people will act if they refuse to accept people from other cultures. I loved this movie, and thought it had very good music, but this is not a good movie for younger children.

GREAT MUSIC!

I LOOOOOOOOVE West Side Story. It was really entertaining and the songs were outstanding! My favorite is probably America. Some of the lyrics to that are really funny like the character Bernardo says, "I think I go back to San Juan," and his girlfriend Anita says, "I know a boat you can get on!" Bernardo: "Uh-huh! Everyone there will give big cheer!" Anita: "Everyone there will have moved here!" I also like the dance at the gym. The dancing is amazing. I think some really emotional people will cry at the end of this movie. If they ever make a re-make, Vanessa Anne Hudgens and Zac Efron should play the leading roles of Maria and Tony.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookfriend1993 April 9, 2008