All member reviews for West Side Story

Musical masterpiece tackles race, with some violence.

Adult Written byChrissy505 March 8, 2009

Amazing

This was an amazing, amazing movie with memorable characters and a wonderful story. It's also very sad I started crying when Tony gets killed and when Maria takes the gun and wants to kill herself. It's beautiful. I highly suggest it for older kids because my little brother started crying really really hard and asked if he was dead (I told him he was just passed out so he wouldn't cry harder). Still an amazing movie though. See it See it See it!!!!!!!
Adult Written bysbdreamin April 9, 2008

Great for conversation on social issues

West Side Story is another classic, along the lines of To Kill a Mockingbird, except with some fantastic singing and dancing. The social message is the whole point of the movie; it is a modern day Romeo and Juliet, where the boy and girl, due to their social backgrounds, are NOT supposed to be together but fall in love anyway. There is a lot of stuff about race, gangs, etc. that is still relevant over 40 years later. There are fights and violence and a main character gets killed, so this is not for the littlest ones... save this for your jr. high school and up age kids, unless very mature.
Adult Written bypaddy19 April 9, 2008

Classic

I disagree, I think this movie should not be R. This movie is a classic musical and I think it brings up a lot of good topics. Yes you might have to talk to you child afterwards about parts but that is what it is there for. It is to bring up thoughts and to bring publicity to problems that were happening in the US. I watched this when I was in middle school and liked it and understood it. I do believe that some children might not be ready for it, but it is a classic because it is a good movie and musical.
Kid, 11 years old February 12, 2011

My Dad told me it was a version of Romeo and Juliet, and you know what that means the ending will be..... It was a bad sad ending. And yes there can be good sad endings.

From ballerinas to gangsters...

I don't understand this movie at all. Good dancing , check , catchy tunes , check but they go from dancing ballerinas to knife holding gangsters. We had to watch it in music class and everyones was like " what the heck??!!" This movie took forever to get to the movie, I mean , what's the point of the color changing screen in the beggining for 15 minutes? Not really appropriate... a bit odd.
Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2009

amazing movie... but a bit violent...

i thought that this movie was really good, but they could have taken out some of the violence and killing... the ending was incomplete... i wish they had added a little bit more... like what happened to maria... the beginning was super, but then for the "ramble" it got a bit violent... but it all depends on how mature the person watching it is and it is majorly the parent's decision if their kid is mature or not...
Teen, 14 years old Written byreader333 May 5, 2009

Graph-Sad (the worst mix)

It was great in the begining, but it got so sad and violent I had to force myself to turn it off. For kids at least 14 at least.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypepsicola147 April 9, 2008

Not A Children's Movie

I watched this at school, it is definetely not for those who disapprove of violence or the like. There are a few references to drugs and alcohol, and the Jets are seen smoking a lot. There is a gangster fight, and a girl is almost raped. It's a cruel movie, and shows how brutal people can be.
Kid, 9 years old February 27, 2015

West side story

I find this a good film but a little scary for a child of 8 . But for children of 11 better.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStandByMeBuddyBoy February 11, 2015

Favorite Musical

I first saw this movie when my band teacher showed it to us in 6th grade. I fell in love with the movie immediately and have loved it since (I'm actually watching it while writing this review). The music is beautiful and the relationships between the characters are very realistic. Any parent worried about the cursing: at this point, your kid most likely curses. If not now then in at least two years. This movie is a classic and every kid should see it.
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2014

Great choreography and music(particularly Officer Krupke and America) I had my head under the blankets during the rumble, but my 13 year old sister saw it and she said it started out with fist fights, then Riff and Bernardo whip out knives, SPOILER ALERT: Bernardo stabs Riff, then Tony takes Riff's knife and stabs Bernardo END OF SPOILER. Then everyone gets in a big fight and starts hitting with assorted items. Then dear officer Krupke pulls up and everyone runs. The jets smoke a lot. In one scene the jets physically abuse Anita and call her racist names. This movie is really racist,so if you don't want your kids exposed to that kind of thing, don't let them watch it. Another thing to remember is this is Romeo and Juliet, people! Of COURSE either Maria or Tony is going to die! Sorry, that was a bit harsh. But you get my point, right? Anywho, it's a really great movie. If you like this movie, add grease to your list.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDominicboo1 June 22, 2013

Not For Me.

This is not a musical I enjoyed. It starts out lighthearted and fun, but then the first rumble starts....and I hear it only gets worse! The songs are great, but the violence was too much for me. (For Musical Lovers that don't like excessive violence I reccomend My Fair Lady or The Sound of Music) Some songs have references to drugs. (Particularly Officer Krupke) If you can handle the violence, it might be a good movie, but it's not for me!
Written byAnonymous February 12, 2013

Sex is on the 2 oh my.

The Sex is on the 2 so say this movie with 4 for the Violence. and I say Iffy for 15 Year Olds.
Kid, 12 years old May 21, 2012

My MPAA rating

My MPAA rating is PG-13 for implied strong language, violence and peril, sexual content, and some smoking.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 March 30, 2012

jh

ok but funny-crazy musical is weird and a-little clunky.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhellokittycaroline March 29, 2012

You will Cry

This film is a classic. it is the winner of ten Academy Awards. I love this movie. i cry like an idiot at the end.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLunaLovegood13 March 21, 2012

WEST SIDE STORY

Teen, 13 years old Written byhagrid21 January 29, 2012

West Side Story Sparkles!

One of the most popular and well known musicals of the day, West Side Story is tame by today's standards, but the messages and behavior of the gangs are iffy. A knife fight leads to the death of two main characters. No blood. Occasional language and frequent smoking. Great choreography and music! Well worth watching!
Teen, 16 years old Written byrlwilson January 9, 2012

Good story .... Bad language

Language is VERY bad. The use of the Lords name in vain and derogitory name calling with the use of many curse words. This book is not for children. I had to have my 13 year old read an alternative book at school. I can't believe this got past the schook board!!
Kid, 8 years old September 24, 2011

Phenomenal movie, soundtrack and script.

Kinda violent, profane, sexual....but great lessons about race and a well-written script. one of the best films i’ve ever seen.