All member reviews for What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

A challenging look at the ups and downs of family.

Kid, 12 years old March 19, 2010

A perfect film.

This film is absolutely incredible. There are no words to describe how true and beautiful this film is! It has amazing performances from Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Juliette Lewis and Mary Steenburgen!! The whole thing is just an amazingly heartwarming and joyful experience. The rolemodels are all pretty good except an autistic boy is slapped, there is some teasing and a man has an affair with an older married woman. Mature 13 year olds :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byshadowexile6 March 10, 2009

Touching

Ok let me start of by saying that i am twelve and i just clicked the wrong button. I loved this movie personally, i thought it had a good plot, great acting, and it really just all together was great. It is not for younger kids merely because there is some inappropriate stuff in it such as Gilbert has an affair with a married woman and they do "it" but it is quite suttle and is not anythign big to worry about. After it was over i cried at the end.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYes.Dear April 9, 2008
Teen, 17 years old Written byPoetic Ramblings January 28, 2013

One of my favorites

Adult Written byAmeliaKaderWood June 29, 2009

I feel so sorry for Arnie. :(

This film was really good. I loved the acting, most notably young Leonardo DiCaprio's. I feel so sorry for Arnie, he is always picked on and well, of course, he has a problem. People must see this film, although there are some mild-love scenes that younger audiences shouldn't see (but nudity) and Arnie gets slapped. But seriously, this film made me cry, but I think it's worth watching (and loving) :)
Adult Written bywonder dove November 8, 2012

Loved it since a kid!

My sister introduced me to this movie when we were young, around the first time it came out on video (nothing much disturbed me - I could handle almost any film). I loved it, even though it deals with a lot of adult situations throughout. There is just something so lovable about the story. Probably one of the very best movies that deals with dysfunctional families and it's very realistic! Gilbert (Johnny Depp) is troubled and confused, after the death of his father and his mother giving up on life and becoming terribly obese, it leaves Gilbert the man of the house. Raising his sisters and autistic brother (Leonardo DiCaprio), he deals with so many responsibilities that soon drives him up the wall. Meeting new girl Becky, and eventually falling in love, she helps to shape his life back to normal. This film is very depressing, it's very sad and emotional. It deals with a lot of death including suicide. There is some violence (slapping an autistic boy, a scene of pulling his hair and dragging him on the ground. Yelling and arguing by family members, an obese woman is humiliated and talked about.) Sexual content includes an affair with an older married woman (a heavy making out scene on a kitchen table, she tells him to come by her place a couple times, she also tells him she wants to "play", oral sex is implied and briefly shown - a woman goes down on Gilbert - no nudity, innocent kissing by a couple). Language is sometimes angry and hurtful, no "F" words though. Gilbert is embarrassed by his mother and at one point calls her a beach whale. Overall, the whole story is an amazing look at life and dealing with stress, loneliness and self destruction. Have to say that Leonardo's performance is simply incredible!!!!! Sit near a kleenex box for this one, there are many emotional scenes!! Mature kids only!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byUnknown26 November 20, 2012

Boring

one of the worst movie ever
Parent Written byWinifred September 10, 2011

Much to discuss - for older kids

I think this is an excellent film to discuss. Gilbert loves his family and can't stand them at the same time - like real life?? Other commenters talk about an "affair" with Mrs Carver but I see it as more abuse which Gilbert gets hit with. (Imagine if it was Mr Carver and one of the Grape sisters 'having an affair'!). There is also all the symbolism of the big supermarket dominating and the new Burger Barn providing what the family provided before. I love this film. It is very well done.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTacoBall February 12, 2011

Incredible dramedy for mature younger teens and up

This movie is one of my all-time favorites. It is beautifully done, the story is unusual and not as predictable as you'd think, and the characters are deep and very well acted (especially DiCaprio as Arnie). The mood is on the "gloomy and dysfunctional" side, but there are fresh, funny parts sprinkled throughout, and themes include love and the importance of family. And it's all done in such a way that the viewer feels close to the characters and while being able to sympathize with many of them, never feels dragged down by them or exceedingly sorry for them. My sister watched this when she was 11, but in my opinion it isn't appropriate for kids that age. There is some implied sex/sex references and the main character has an affair with a creepy-seeming woman, besides, the storyline is a bit too mature for tweens. Depending on their maturity level, I say this movie is OFF for kids 11 and under, PAUSE for kids 12-14, and not just ON but a must-watch for movie fans 15-16 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfangirl21 September 23, 2015

Beautiful, poignant, and just phenomenal overall

"What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" is by far the best film I have ever seen. Ever. No questions asked. The beauty in the cinamentography is that of which I'd never seen before, and I was just blown away by the way it was presented. It's realistic plot line will bring out the best and the worst in you, and the film really reinforces the idea that no one is perfect, which I know sounds like a clichè, but after you watch this you might actually begin to believe it for real. Johnny depp and Leo dicaprio are sensational, so this film is a must for every Johnny and Leo fan. Seriously, no matter how old you are (though over nine would be ideal) you should all see it. I guarantee you, you'll be glad you did.
Kid, 9 years old August 15, 2014

Inspiring and beautiful but not for kids

It is, as I said in the title, it is inspiring and beautiful. It's an amazing piece of art. Though the film making is really good, if you're a sensitive 9 year old like me, DO. NOT. WATCH. IT. But if you're a mature 11 year old, or teen, or grown-up, it should be okay. It will probably stay depressing no matter what age you are, though. And that was my review of What's Eating Gilbert Grape!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie/gamefan February 15, 2013

whats eating gilbert grape review

Jugeing by the title of this review you know i love it. One of Johnny deeps best movies/ (sorry pirates of the carriaben) but the movie has some themes not really for little kids
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatieDiCaprio January 22, 2012

Brilliant - absolutely brilliant.

Brilliant. Fantastic plot, fantastic actors. A great family movie but can be upsetting in some areas for example it is implied that their father commited suicide and also tells you about a boy who ran away from home. It is a very good movie and made me cry at the end. I advise everyone to see it. DiCaprio portrays a mentally handicapped child perfect.
Teen, 15 years old Written byladykinky July 31, 2011

It made my "favorites list":]

I personally love movies about brothers (ex: Letters to God) so to me this movie was really touching :] I loved Leo and Johnny's scenes together they were so adorable! <3
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2011
Good acting! Johnny Depps character does kiss a married woman who is cheating on her husband. Gilbert does hit Arnie a phew times. Arnie is mentally- disabled child...
Kid, 11 years old March 21, 2011

Fantastic

What's Eating Gilbert Grape is a story about a autistic kid who turns 18. Younger children- no. this is not a great movie for you to watch. It deals with mature things that you might not be comfortable.... But, If you're older like me, you realize that this movie is life, and you have to get over the fact that, yes, it is akward when Gilbert (Johnny) has an affair with a mother, but its life.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydancingwithmyself April 9, 2008

Good movie but kinda inappropriate....

This is a good movie but it has some *inappropriate* things.....If you're like 13+ you should watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhorselover326 April 9, 2008

So sweet! I cried

This movie is really sweet. There is great acting all around, especially from Leonardo Decaprio and whoever it was that played the mom. It's about a guy who has a lot on his plate, including a messed up family and having an affair with a married person. There is one part that made me uncomfortable. 13+. It's really touching an it made me cry.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySparrowleaf July 22, 2016

Beautiful but needs older audience

I watched this film when i was 11 and found it boring however when i watched it again aged 14 i found it amazing. Great film but you need to be mature to grasp the concept and appreciate the acting and storyline!
Teen, 14 years old Written bytoastosterone April 1, 2016

Absolutely Beautiful.

I picked up this movie after hearing a few positive remarks about it around the internet. That was one of the best decisions I have made. I'll spare you my in depth look at the casting, sound, pacing, etc., and just explain the message and why everyone should watch this incredible film. Frankly, I think everyone should watch this movie sometime before they transition into adulthood. It has an extremely powerful message about the importance of tolerance, patience, and understanding. This movie takes an insightful look at why and how these qualities are needed in life. Whether it is in a literal sense like the movie demonstrates, or in less significant situations, it provides a masterfully produced way of introducing these crucial parts of living. Parents would probably want to know that there are a few sexual scenes in the movie, and it deals with the effects of death. Although, I wouldn't think it to be a problem at all. I would recommend this for any mature(ish) young adult who would appreciate and understand this movie. Younger children may find this to be 'boring', so 13+ is probably the minimum unless your 6 year old has a doctorate in psychology. Over all, a beautifully orchestrated film, I hope that everyone can watch this and learn to be kind to those who need it.