All parent member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Parent of a 4, 6, and 9 year old Written byemjoyce October 19, 2009

Dark and Depressing

My children and I enjoy this book by Maurice Sendak so much we were thrilled at the idea of seeing the movie. I was so disappointed at the dark, depressing emotions I felt while watching it. I apologized to my children for taking them. When we read the book at home, we make it fun! There are a couple pages that have no text while Max and the "Wild Things" are having their "rumpus" and we get up, make funny noises, and dance aroung the room. The previews are not at all accurate to the mood of this film. In my opinion, there are enough issues in real life to make us feel blue. When I go to a movie with my children I want to see smiles on their faces and hear them giggle.
Adult Written bywatchfuleyemom October 18, 2009
Disappointed that Spike Jonzes' chose to take an innocent, well intentioned children's story and turn it into a heavy, dark, scary, nightmare. My 11 year old came out disappointed and overwhelmed with the characters and their behavior. My 13 year old related to the ups and downs of Max's emotions and the feelings of isolation and loneliness. I was disappointed with the choice to have no dialogue between Max and the mother at the end. Too bad, we were looking forward to this one!
Educator and Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written byheathcliff0855 October 18, 2009
I thought this was one of the worst movies I have seen in a while. It was very slow and very dark. Not a good children's movie
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byTN Mom October 18, 2009

"HR Pufinstuf" meets "Willow" - TERRIBLE

Although I felt sorry for Max as a troubled child, his terrible behavior was validated in the movie with no consequences. His whole family was out of control, not just him. Furthermore, the animals behaved just like Max, validating how "fun" it can be to be wild and irresponsible. There was lots of yelling, which scared my 6 yr old daughter - I left the theatre twice with her crying. (Had we not been with a group, we would have left the movie altogether) Even from an adults point of view, it was just not good, but it is definitely not for children under 10. I wouldn't waste my $ on it anyway - take them to see something else or bowling instead.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byKP Big Dog October 17, 2009
My almost 8 year old hated this movie along with my entire family. It has to be one of the worst movies for kids I have ever seen. Max appeared to be a profoundly emotionally disturbed child. The wild things behavior was totally inappropriate too. We tried to use it as a teaching point on why this behavior is totally unacceptable but my son was so disturbed he said he never wanted us to mention the movie again. Don't waste your money.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymomofblessings October 17, 2009

The worst kids movie I have EVER seen!

This movie was the pits! If you do not want your child to see a disrespectful, out of control child as the hero of a movie, do not take them to see Where the Wild Things Are. Also, the adult themes in the movie were WAY too much. I thought this was a KIDS movie, not an adult daytime drama. In my opinion, (and that of my friend who went with me) it couldn't have been worse. Do not waste the money, and the hour and a half of your life you will never get back!
Parent of a 2, 5, and 6 year old Written byagopi123 October 16, 2009

If your kids weren't already depressed, they will be after this movie.

The movie was too dark and very depressing. Everyone is lonely, sad, depressed, fighting and talking badly to each other thru out the whole movie.
Parent of a 12 year old Written by1elysium1 June 27, 2013

TOO DISTURBINGLY DARK, SCARY, VIOLENT, ETC!!!!!!!

read 1ELYSIUM's review
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

I though it was gonna be a peice of crap,BUT I WAS WRONG!!!

I don't know what the Oscars are talking about when they treat this movie like dirt.It's a thrilling,action packed movie,so stop bashing it,Oscars.
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 7, 2012

Not like the book!

Even though this movie is based on the children's book, it is actually kinda sad and somewhat frighening. There's also a surprising amount of violence, mostly punches and throwing debris. Besides all that, this movie does teach about growing up and how streesful it can be sometimes. This movie is ok for kids ages 8 and up.
Parent Written bys.asbury April 27, 2012

think first

This movie was good. I would not show it to children under 11. The relationship themes are very mature and the overall movie is quite depressing.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bywhitt105 March 31, 2012

Review this movie before sharing with your child/ren.

My daughter is a mature, thoughtful 10 year old. She said she liked the movie, though she found it dark and disturbing. I agreed and wished we had waited til she was a bit older to see it. We have always avoided any violence in movies, so this had a strong affect on her. Overall, a worthwhile movie with powerful messages about "family" dynamics, anger, regret, jealousy, love, ...I think we'll be discussing and interpreting this movie for some time to come.
Adult Written bykeeyan January 29, 2012

this movie is just fine

i have nothing to say
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 17, 2011

Too violent for anyone but mature teens and adults.

My MPAA rating: R for constant scenes of intense disturbing violence.
Educator Written byWagz2011 August 15, 2011

Very engaging and thought provoking movie exploring the complexities of interpersonal relationships.

Very engaging and thought provoking movie adaptation of a well loved classic children's story book, that explores themes of dysfunctional relationships as well as effective relationship management, loneliness, anger, forgiveness, accepting and facing up to consequences, and Love. Though the imaginary characters are strange yet lovable at the same time and may appeal to young children and adults familiar with the children's story book, the themes and many scenes as well as some language is unsuitable for younger children, and parental guidance and explanation of the underlying messages is highly recommended for older children.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 10 year old Written bymama p May 14, 2011

Beautiful hard core symbolism by a brilliant director...for adults

I would like to start by saying that i LOVE Spike Jones and think he is brilliant. This movie is not an exception; but not for kids. This movie was written for the generation that grew up in this book.... the home scenes even embody the late 70s/early 80s vibe. This movie captures intensely the emotions involved with children experiencing divorce. It is emotionally violent. Really sad. Kids would unlikely get that.... not many parents could even put it together. This is great film for someone to watch if they want to know what it feels like to have a disfunctional broken family. If your children are sensitive (ie have not been de-sensitized by media) I would not subject them to these emotions. If disney has already succeeded in dumbing and numbing their emotional bodies then i'm sure they'll enjoy huge puppets bouncing around the screen and the huge piece of "bad-mom-guilt" cake the kid gets as a reward for running away for the night.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byCzigany February 5, 2011

Use your judgement....watch it first if your kids can't handle it.

Not as bad as it's made out to be. Use your judgement on whether your kids are mature enough, or squeamish/get scared easily. My son watched it at 4, loved it, and walked away understanding the positive message. Everyone's different, though. There is violence, but the movie IS about monsters, so what did you expect? A good adaptation based on the book. Remember, the book is a classic with very little text so if you wanted exact "by the book", you would have had a 5 minute movie. Open your mind and judge based on what your child can handle. No sex issues or bad words, so it's fine with me.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byKikstersRT October 20, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I really disliked this movie. I had a hard time getting past the first two minutes of the movie. First scene of him attacking a dog?? Loved the book though!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bykellystp September 18, 2010

Preview this movie before sitting down to for a family viewing

This is a movie about childhood for adults, maybe teens, but would not recommend it for children. Unless you want your kids to get a how to manual on how to go on a terror streak. I prefer my kids to be a little unsure of how to do itl As an adult I rate it very high, but when I think about my kids much lower.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTildenMom August 30, 2010

for ages 10 and up because it really has a hidden point to the movie thats really important but little kids wouldnt understand

The movie was very different from what i expected. Even though the book is for younger kids its really not for really little kids because its a little violent.Carol has big mood swings. and he gets pretty out of control and dark in scary in one scene. I think that each wild thing has a strong personalty and different from one another . Carol the main wild thing has problems a lot like max's he also related to a lot of max's feelings.max was very upset and out of control but when he came to the wild things it was the other way around he had to be the parent and be responsible for the wild things.I think that older kids would get the more mature understanding about what this movie is really about.