All parent member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTildenMom August 30, 2010

for ages 10 and up because it really has a hidden point to the movie thats really important but little kids wouldnt understand

The movie was very different from what i expected. Even though the book is for younger kids its really not for really little kids because its a little violent.Carol has big mood swings. and he gets pretty out of control and dark in scary in one scene. I think that each wild thing has a strong personalty and different from one another . Carol the main wild thing has problems a lot like max's he also related to a lot of max's feelings.max was very upset and out of control but when he came to the wild things it was the other way around he had to be the parent and be responsible for the wild things.I think that older kids would get the more mature understanding about what this movie is really about.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byParentReviewer18 August 20, 2010

My Kids have it on their ipods!

I Took my kids to the theater to see this movie and my kids were talking about it for weeks! My only concern was violence because at some parts of the movie my 4 & 6 year olds were covering their eyes.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 14, 2010
not rated G,you know.PG for mild scary scenes.
Parent Written bytamlb August 4, 2010
Educator Written bySusan Engdall August 2, 2010

Fantastical charactors illustrate realistic world of complex emotions.

The only part of the movie that resembles the book is the beautiful costumes and cinemotography. The characters come from and are all a part of Max. I love that it illustrates how we all have a tempermental Carol, a jealous Judith, a wise Douglas, a loving KW. In Max's relationship with Carol, the part of his personality he most identifies with, he is able to understand his own mother's dilemma trying to fill an unfillable need for attention. I think he finally understands his inner Carol and learns to appreciate the other aspects of his personality. He sees the beauty of KW, who is much like his sister. In my opinion most children's movies are sorely lacking in depth. They show a neat little world filled with 45 minute problems that are neatly resolved with little effort. This movie is much closer to real life. I'm left with great hope for Max's future.
Parent of a 3 and 9 year old Written byTassé July 2, 2010
I saw it, it s boring. I was deceived. I even returned the movie where I bought it. A little boy that has hanger, run away from home and arrive to an isle where monsters fights between them and have same complexe as him...made me think...the teletubies. The psyco... behing it is.. the boy will understand he s hanger and will finally go back home. There is too much hard fighthing beetween monsters. Also the bad message is that yes child run away from home you might meet monters on an island!!!
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 25, 2010

Troubling movie, will resonate better with parents

This movie had a lot of violence in it. Not shootings or really bad language, but the movie's tone and moodiness lent it a more realistic violent tone. The Wild Things are not nice characters. I can see the connecting being drawn of how the wild things are supposed to relate to the main character's feelings, but the movie came off dark and brooding for a kids movie. Kids four and younger won't be troubled because they won't understand so much, as be scared by the creatures themselves. Younger kids will find the movie strange and a little unsettling. The main character treats his mother poorly and her response is not helpful in making any role models in this movie positive. The kind of movie you have to discuss with kids 10+.
Parent of a 11, 13, 15, and 16 year old Written bymarythemom June 17, 2010

Not good for young kids or those with traumatic backgrounds

The scenery is beautiful, if you can ignore the violence! There is a scene where one character actually rips off the arm of another. Granted these are monsters and not "real," but for the rest of the movie the one armed character walks around with a stick in place of his arm like a snowman! The relationship between the son and mother is not loving at all. In the book the mom brings him dinner even though he's been "bad." In this book the mom is much less understanding. Overall this movie had none of the charm and positive messages of the book.
Adult Written byCanadianCollege... June 6, 2010

This is not a kids movie, this is a dark movie

I'm 19 and this felt like one of the most violent movies I had seen in a long time. Not because I don't want PG-13 or R rated movies, but because the violence was directed at the child in the movie and being put into his world made you feel terrified at times. Most of the time this feels like watching a movie about a violently abusive husband. Many of the characters have uncontrollable anger issues which break out unexpectedly. The movie constantly switches from happy, almost joyous scenes to angry or scary scenes. All of the characters get hurt repeatedly, especially intentionally, by other characters. As a movie, I loved it, the metaphors, language, and meaning behind all the scenes would spark tons of mature discussion about all kinds of topics. It's also very beautifully and seamlessly done. Not a movie I would ever take kids to see though. I feel like the PG rating is a terrible misnomer. Just because the violence is mostly on the Wild characters, the rendering makes them feel just as real as the human ones. Animation has advanced, the ratings of what counts as "cartoon violence" should too.
Parent of a 8, 13, and 16 year old Written bypamperedjen May 29, 2010
Our teenagers (13 and 16) left and we ended up turning it off before it was over for our 8 year old. Very disturbing, I thought, although my husband says it was just like he felt at 9 years old. Lonely and sad and aggressive? Wow.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bymommaleda May 22, 2010

12+ but not younger

Dread and depression isn't what I'm looking for to watch with my kids on a Saturday night. Not for the young.12+ If watched, make sure parents that you are right there to explain, feelings, fear, and behavior.
Parent Written bynodakprairiegirl May 19, 2010

Ok for 9 and up, a little too scary for the younger crowd

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byAlfin April 24, 2010

Not for most children

Watching this film was a very mixed experience for our family. My husband and I found it very compelling and my 10 year old tolerated it but found it sad. My 8 year old complained throughout and I genuinely believed it would get better - that issues would resolve and we kept in on. We stuck it out and I now regret it. My easy going 8 year old son burst into sobs at the end of the movie. He explained that he found it very sad and that there were no happy parts. He appeared to find the manner in which the Wild Things treated eachother very disturbing. As a mild mannered little boy, he indicated that he could not relate to Max. On a positive note, we took the opportunity to talk about the range of human emotion. We talked about how it's okay to have a good cry sometimes. Feelings of sadness allow happy feelings to have some specialness. Based on the reviews I've read (which I wish I had read prior to watching the movie!) suggest that most children do not like the movie. However, I would like to suggest that some older children who have the capacity to appreciate the symbolism and complexity of the film will appreciate it ... particularly if their parents take the time to talk to them about the depth of human experience.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 12 year old Written byWolverine58 April 22, 2010

Not for my little ones

The tantrum that the boy throws in the early part of the movie and all that went along with it was enough. The screaming and shouting back and forth between the mother and son was unnecessary. When the boy bites his Mom on the shoulder that was it, too violent for our 5 and 6yr. olds. A couple of the monsters we not as cuddly has they could have been.
Parent of a 1, 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byUTMomof4 April 22, 2010

Not for young children, nothing like the book

I watched this movie with my 3,5, and 7 year old. My 3 year old lost interest quickly. My 5 year old kept getting scared by the monsters, and my 7 year old ended up sobbing at the end of the movie. It is not a movie for children of those ages, maybe better suited for 9 or 10 year old or older.This movie was violent, the boy bites his mom, he is a bad role model. The monsters talk about eating the boy, one chases the boy to try to catch him and eat him in a pretty scary scene for children. Luckily my 5 yo didn't see that scene, it would've scared her for sure. The boy and monsters talk about brains getting sucked out. The boy talks about blowing up heads. It really is violent. I was very disappointed, I thought this movie would be good like the book.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byevil slayer April 17, 2010

I wouldn't reccomend it.

This movie was dissapointing. It overburdens children with global warming, the sun burning out as well as other issues. The movie is long and drawn out and is nothing like the book. I was upset that the boy never apologized to his mother for his "child rages" that included biting his mom and destroying his sister's room. The movie insinuates the boy's issues are really not his fault but his overworked mother's.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byMoondee March 30, 2010

Maybe rent it, but definitely do not buy it.

The movie dragged on. The positive message that the movie had was strongly overshadowed by bad role model issues.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byOregon momma March 21, 2010

Aghast......

I was so disappointed by this movie. It was not advertised as an "older" child or adult movie. I found the arm being ripped off of a character a bit much. As well as the talk about cutting out intruders' brains... I was disturbed by this stinking movie and I'm 27. The only good part was when Max went home.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bycatht March 19, 2010
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written bytruman332 March 13, 2010

Just too sad for young children.....

I watched this tonight with my 6 and 8 year old sons and have been comforting a sobbing 6 year old for 20 minutes since it ended. The movie was sad from the start, overwhelmingly so, on the part of Max as well as the creatures. The overall tone was just so dreary and the final scene so hard to watch that we have all had a hard time shaking it off. I heard this was a dark interpretation of the book, but was ill-prepared with just how sad this would be for my kids to see crying, wailing animals and sobbing little boys. Too much for my kids age, but would have been okay for kids over 10.