All parent member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Parent of a 7 year old Written byElisa Q January 27, 2010

Absolutely no way...

Not for my daughter for sure! Absolutely no way...
Parent of a 11 year old Written bycorneater January 23, 2010

Questionable behavior

This movie was flat out strange. There is no other words to describe it. Why would a boy bite his mother then run away from home becuz he feels his supper isn't cooked on time?! The wild things are freakishly homely and all are snotting out of their nose. Even though this movie is meat for kids of the younger age I would think that if I had children that I wouldn't want them to think it's normal to bite ur mother, then go play with some physcho white trash animal things, then be home in time for supper. It was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and the boy's hair drove me insane. So yes, ideas are good.....however this one failed fit my simple taste. Simplicity is the key and this was way over done. The only part I liked was "I'll eat you up I luv u so." Otherwise for the rest.....I feel was a waste of money to go to the theaters in. So overall I'd say I thought it sux and was a total waste of money, watching, and a plain waste of time.
Parent of a 3, 4, and 9 year old Written bycolorado workin mom January 10, 2010

Theater on the screen, but too much fighting

Overall I loved the movie, quite theatrical. In the middle there is a lot of fighting that goes on and on, I though, it was a downer for myself and my 9 year old son. I don't need it too be sun-shiney but shortening the yelling would have sent the same message and been less negative..
Parent Written by1elysium January 10, 2010

DISTURBINGLY DARK, SCARY, VIOLENT, etc.!!!!

I was EXTREMELY dissapionted...after talking up the book and about how much I loved it as a child to my 8 y.o. daughter...I was SHOCKED to see howdifferent and DARK the movie was!!! If would have known just how dark, violent and scary the movie was... I would NEVER have taken my 8 y.o. girl to see it. Just WHO is this movie for???? Definately NOT for young kids!!!...and I'm not sure teens would want to see it. What really angers me about this movie is that NONE of the trailers/TV commercials let you know just how dark and scary it was!!! They DUPED the public and that's just DISGRACEFUL!!!! The very first part of the movie (the opening) was just SO SHOCKING AND SCARY that knew in the very first 10 seconds that it was a mistake... WHAT KIND OF PSYCHOLOGICALLY DARK fare like this belongs in family/children's movie based on a childrens book?!?!?!? This MIGHT be appropriate for a DEEPLY PHYSCHOLOGICALLY damaged young boy or girl who is being treated by a psychiotrist, but other than that...STAY AWAY if you have children. IF I were NOT comparing it to the childrens book, then I'd say it's a good deep movie for an ADULT!
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bykit kalen January 10, 2010

Not for kids, but a worthy endeavor

This movie succeeds in creating a meaningful and tasteful adaptation to a children's book (unlike just about all others adaptations). It is a good movie standing on its own. Unfortunately, you cannot watch Where the Wild Things Are without comparing it to the children's book. And when you do that, you realize the two have very little in common. The reasons why the book is so beloved is all but absent in the movie, replaced by much deeper and socially relevant issues. I took my kids (age 9 & 5), and, while they enjoyed it, they didn't love it, largely because they wanted the book, not such a deep, dark, and completely different kind of movie. I recommend the movie, but, as stated in several reviews, this isn't much of a kids movie.
Adult Written bySayNoToDeathInK... January 8, 2010

Dark, twisted and violent.

This was an incredibly dark, depressing and violent movie. It showed rage and unnecessary violence throughout the entire movie. I really wanted to walk out but hoped for the happy feel good ending. It did not deliver. The sweetest part of the pre-view was when one of the wild things said Oh how I love you so. Meawhile she also said I could eat you and ment eating him not in a cute cuddle way. It was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and completly innapropriate for the age group it targeted.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bypinky2k December 23, 2009

Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

A very weird, confusing, and depressing movie. Still trying to find the point to it...

I really dont know why I went to go see this movie, I really dont. I must have been drinking a little or something, but I saw it and I was very confused. It was depressing, but mostly confusing. I didn't really see the point of this movie, and probably never will (and yes I have read the book, still doesn't help).
Parent of a 10 year old Written bytch December 13, 2009

Life stinks, and friends are mean:

Poor Max - he's tormented by his homelife then escapes only to be tormented by monsters who can eat him up if he doesn't think quick. I'm 43 and still can't actually say what the message is...is it behave or be eaten? Or is it, life just stinks so deal with it? I'll never know. My 10 year old was mortified by a character having his arm ripped off and saw dust "squirting" out. It was violencwe for the sake of violence and the threat of violence kept us both on edge. It was a horroble, though artsy movie.
Parent of a 2, 7, and 9 year old Written byfitzwalsh December 12, 2009

Beautiful But Sad

Beautifully made movie, with a very authentic feel. The monsters didn't scare my kids, but we all left the movie very sad. We talked it through, but I left wondering why it had to be soooo sad.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byluckygemini December 5, 2009

Depends on your families taste. Probably best over 12.

I liked this movie. This is a great site to help choose movies for your kids. Here's a suggestion: check out the reviews here BEFORE you take your kids to the movies. The information is available to you. Why complain after you've taken them that it wasn't appropriate?
Parent of a 13, 15, and 16 year old Written bydemondonkey25 November 30, 2009

9 seems very high

unless you are a wuss you will love this movie
Parent of a 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byLuckymoonshadow November 29, 2009

Not for under 6 - my 4 year old had nightmares

My 4 year old was scared... I thought the monsters had too many adult issues... what was with the owl? Very weird movie....
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bybeebers November 23, 2009

FINALLY, A BOY'S MOVIE WITHOUT SUPERHEROS!!!

Loved, loved, LOVED this movie. My son (just turned 6) and I saw this together; we've been reading the book for the past 3 years. For the most part, it was clear to him why Max and other characters were angry or upset or sad, etc. We talked about it during and after the movie. He also initiated questions when it wasn't clear..."Mama, why is Max destroying his sister's stuff? Why is he mad at her?" The movie let me peek into a "boy's world" (building a fort, dirtball fights) and into the heart of a child dealing with the loss of a parent through divorce. It was refreshing to watch a live-action movie geared towards 7-9 year old boys without the scene-stealing superhero. I believe this was his first live-action movie and he was riveted from start to finish. I highly recommend it for 6+ and discussions about feelings and empathy at their level.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byalk89 November 21, 2009

Not appopropriate for young children

My children have loved this book since they were tiny. The movie, did not impress and was not approptriate for a 6 year old.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byScott C November 14, 2009

Wait 'till it comes out on video and watch with parental guideance

My daughter really wanted to see it. We offered some expectations ahead of time, such as tense and angry scenes with violence (wild things fighting). This seemed to help. She didn't seem scared at all (keep in mind she's a 1st grader who reads at a 6th grade level). She felt sad when he left the Island. The characters were odd; they almost seemed demented. There problems sort of ran parallel to Max's home life, but that wouldn't be obvious to a child younger than 12 and it probably should have been. The costumes and effects were enjoyable. The movie didn't seem as 'dark' as others have said. The aggressive acts in the movies seemed awkward and contrived and I think my daughter actually noticed that aspect. The movie was also choppy or seemed poorly edited. Of course a kid's not going to notice this, but we did. More dialogue would have been nice to help things progress smoothly. The arm getting ripped off and bleeding white sand was also odd. The wild things were wild, but weird, as though they all had poor social skills. The bones of the former king that had been eaten were the most disturbing scene. The scene where Max started to dance to show he had special powers was also just weird, tense, and the transition to and from that scene was, as with other scenes seemed poorly done. The dirt clod fight was overboard here and there and probably should have been a game of hide 'n seek instead. It's frustrating to see so much spent on excellent special effects, costumes, actors, setting and set (the stick buildings are remarkable) and end up with a mediocre movie. I thought it would be necessary to see on the full screen - but no. Actually, I'd prefer to have seen it at home where I could control the volume during the ridiculous dirt clod fight and lessen the impact of the aggressive scenes.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bymeatloaf November 13, 2009

For all the artistry of the costumes, the acting and overall excellence of the camera and scenic work, the violence inherent in Where the Wild Things Are is overwhelming, disquieting and off putting. The Director missed the mark of translating a subtle, wonderfully imaginative book into a film. Instead it belongs in the Horror Section of the local video store. In my opinion, Jonze betrayed the spirit of the book. When reading the original text, even with the accompanying pictures, our minds are invited to fill in the open spaces. We can imagine and sustain our own idea of how scary Max's situation is, quite a lot or just a little, depending on our life experience of violence, anger, pain or neglect. But in this film, the director has ir-responsibly presented a level of violence way beyond what most adults or children can or want to imagine. The book, Where The Wild Things Are has been serving the needs of children and adults/parents for decades. Using anger, frustration, kid vs adult worlds and all the associated psychological trappings, it explores and maps out valuable territory for how to be a human being. The malleability of the original story to suit the readers needs is what makes it popular. The crisis Max goes through and his resolution of it is deliberately vague, slightly unearthly and imaginative. We go with Max willingly because we are in control of how scary the adventure will ultimately be. In the film, the overall scary factor has been heightened so much it overwhelms the characters, confusing what they represent. Max and the Monsters have terrifying interactions that nail viewers to their seats with countless dark, frightening images. The dialog wanders over the emotive landscape but never lands, and strange unexplained connections lead us to nowhere. All of it together makes an uneasy, unresolved story. Jonze either didn't understand or ignored the subtlety of the books nature. Instead he pounds us with ‘his' idea of what scary is and leaves literally nothing to our imaginations. With this film, we are not in control, Jonze is and his imagination is horrifying. I wouldn't want to be with him on a cold, dark, windy night.. The saddest aspect of the release of the film is that parents will think it's intended to be seen by children, associating it's title with the book That is a fatal error. This is not a childrens film, nor an adult film really. There's no room to breath, imagine and have any fun. It's Jones' private nightmare and I wish I'd not paid to see it!
Parent of a 4, 7, and 10 year old Written bykjhohman November 12, 2009

Unless you enjoy listening to whining, rude behavior, pouting, and meanness, this is not worth seeing. My 2 girls (10 and 4) and I all were tempted to leave in the middle. The Wild Things are so poorly behaved and NEGATIVE that it's just not any fun to watch. Not at all like the book. Skip it.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byJoeFuentes November 10, 2009

Great re-imagination of a great Classic

I loved it. My Fiance Loved it! Tripp liked it OK. He didn't remember the book too much so we revisited it after wards and He liked the characters - he was able to identify the roles each of the characters plays int he boys life and could relate to his own issues. Some people are shying away because they think it's too scary, but if you only look at the trailer, you will not get the full breath of the story. Althought it can be a little tense at moments, It is not really a violent movie nor is it really scary. A must watch for young and old
Parent of a 3, 6, and 7 year old Written byMistyLomas November 10, 2009

A little complex for younger kids, but an okay movie overall

My husband and I enjoyed it, even though it was not at all like the book. My 7 year old is now having nightmares about the part when the monsters were going to eat Max. On the same note, my 6 year old and 3 year old have not had any problems. It might be that my 7 year old "got" the movie more than the younger two, so it impacted him a little more. However, I thought It was a pretty good movie, even though nothing was really accomplished during the whole movie. There was no conclusion to any of the problems and he left his "imaginary land" in worse shape than it was before.