All parent member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Parent Written byEnns Family November 10, 2009

Parent of a 4 year old Written byldreyer November 9, 2009

read the review here after taking my 4 1/2 yr old. This was much too dark and complex for him. He says he liked the dirt fight the best. (sigh)
Educator and Parent of a 15 year old Written byredjed November 8, 2009

It is a sometimes funny, sometimes disturbing movie that(for me at least) is pure fun.
Parent of a 2, 6, and 8 year old Written bysandybeach85 November 8, 2009

Okay for an older child (8+ years). *Spoiler Alert*

My 8 year old daughter found the movie boring, although maybe a more introspective child may not. I definitely would not take my 7 year old to this movie because there is not enough for her to stay interested in the characters/story, much less to catch the deeper message. For older kids/adults, there are interesting interactions between characters, but overall the story lagged some for me. I honestly found myself struggling at times to listen to the dialogue to catch the parallels between the personalities in Max's home life and the "wild things" on the island. The costume design is great - I really loved the wild things and how much the movie stays true to the illustrations from the book, yet going beyond the book to develop texture, voice, and personality for each wild thing. The "fort" that they build is also something to see - quite unique. However, most of the movie is gloomy and overcast in shades of gray and brown which mimic the book. The beginning is just plain sad with the stage being set for why Max runs away from home to be with the wild things - he comes off as a very troubled child (much more than the book) who has no friends. His mother is divorced and struggling to balance work, love, and raising two kids. His father leaving is obviously a troubling event for Max. Most of the movie is spent with Max and the wild things talking and having a "wild rumpus". I think adults will find this part of the movie mostly sad and lonely, although in the end, when Max goes home, the message is sweet. The most intense/violent parts that I've heard concerns about happen in 4 areas - 1) when Max's teenage sister's male friends collapse his snow fort on top of him, burying him in snow, 2) when Max falls out of the boat as he approaches the rocky beach of the island in stormy waters and briefly goes under water, 3) when one wild thing's arm is torn off by another wild thing (which only results in sand pouring out of his body as he says "gee, that was my favorite arm"), and 4) when a wild thing "swallows" Max in order to hide him from another wild thing. My daughter said these parts didn't disturb her, although she came to sit on my lap when the arm came off. The movie does give adults an interesting look into a child's mind, and reminds you just how real and important events that may seem small to adults are to kids. Bottom line - I suggest you save your money and see it on DVD, UNLESS you really LOVE costume design and scenery.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byjmch November 7, 2009

I thought this movie was depressing!! All the characters were sad, depressed and always arguing. I didn't expect to be telling my kids on the way home that it's not ok to destroy things or punch hole in the walls when your angry.
Adult Written byElement13 November 6, 2009

When my girlfriend and I left the theater (feeling sorely disappointed though slightly less weighed down by those pesky dollars) I told her that I thought this movie must be the visual adaptation of a child regression psychotherapy session on acid for a severely dysfunctional child. I take it back...its just a dysfunctional kid on acid. There's nothing to get here, no key that unlocks all of the mysteries and intricacies of the plot or concepts involved. Its not even artistic, really...Sure it looks great, but there are much better written, directed, and acted movies that artistically portray the perspective that life is hard when you're a kid....as if we don't remember, and they don't know. Even if they "liked" the movie, the unexplained dysfunctional interactions between the characters would be confusing to any child, esp those from dysfunctional homes.... Please, don't waste your money...
Adult Written byMomMower November 6, 2009

Weird - Bad role model in Max - save your $$$ - NOT the story in the book.

This movie has disobedient Max doing things that my children don't do, so right away, the main character is modeling bad behavior rather than being a positive role model for impressionable kids at this age. Throwing things, trashing his sister's room, disrespecting and disobeying his mother, biting her, being defiant in general, then running away, all are not something that I want my kids to do. It did provide some good talking points after the movie, such as how angry Carol was, and how mean Julia was. Then again, Max had a sweet side, and his stressed-out mother did spend some quality time with him, which was nice. I felt really sorry for his life! Where was his dad? I was disappointed in the darkness of the movie, and it seemed to drag on. My son wanted to leave because he said it was "boring". I would not see it again, it does not seem to be for kids. Max's personality disorders and Carol's mental health issues clearly are not "normal" and kids this age can't comprehend, nor should they be exposed to such strange behavior.
Parent of a 15 and 16 year old Written byMina_Wolf November 6, 2009

My oldest saw it says the producers of the movies made them look evil and not good no one under 12 should see it at all!!unless you want your kids to have nightmares!!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMitchellsmom November 3, 2009

Don't take young children to see this classic CHILDRENS BOOK in movie form

This adaptation of Where the Wild Things are is not what my family expected. I wish we had read the reviews first. The intensity of Max's feelings of loneliness and exclusion from his sister made my child cry. It was hard for younger children to figure out the plot and symbolism of the Wild Things in relationship to Max's own family. Only for children ages 10 or up.
Adult Written byalgernon November 1, 2009

This is a dark downer movie that robs the silly joy of children. It is an adult movie for those seeking an affirmation of their freudian nihilism. Don't expect to see any of the joy of the book, no pastel colors or imaginative forests. It departs so radically from the book that it can only be explained as the director trying to project their own unhappy psychology on children everywhere.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg November 1, 2009

spoiler*violence and running away from home

Wow I loved this movie myself, and it really was a great parallel for kids' social lives. After the movie we talked about who of her friends could be which character. The violence that surprised me was when one of the wild things got his arm torn off. It ended up being a kind of funny joke as the movie wound down and there were several scenes with his prosthetic stick arm but it was a momentary shock. I also didn't love that Max ran away from his mom/home rather than the book's fantasy of the wild things in his room.
Adult Written byManyBlessings October 31, 2009

Depressing!

Depressing, and it never lightens up. Just a real downer! The color throughout the movie is gray and brown which adds to the somber atmosphere. For the most part the emotions throughout are anger, bickering, fear, sadness. I wouldn't take my kids to this. It was originally a children's book, why not make a children's movie?
Parent of a 9 year old Written byBuppy October 30, 2009

Just Read the Book!

Boring..... Wanted to leave after 30 minutes and I am sure I fell asleep for a few minutes! The Muppet like creatures are well made but the story really drags! The book is so much better!
Adult Written bywjbyman October 29, 2009

don't waste your time

A troubled boy from a broken family flees and tried to fit in another broken monster family. Kind of sad, don't waste your time. There is too much anger going around.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byahcim3 October 29, 2009

good for tweens and up, but as a little friend (7) said:"mommy this movie is not for me"

i just watched the movie and i loved it!! the movie makers might of cut out all except 5 minutes of the last part but other than that i thought it was the best they could do for a movie. the book was 100 times above and beyond the movie but, the movie was still good, a bit dark some times but still good
Adult Written bykids librarian October 28, 2009

Lower your Wild Things expectations

Not a kids book made into a movie! It was very slow moving. May have made an interesting 20 minute short film.
Adult Written byCuriousGerbil October 28, 2009

A little dark, but still very good.

The movie was a bit darker than I had expected but I thought overall it was a good adaptation of the book. Young children will definately be scared by this movie. Also, some children might easily miss the positive message in this movie and focus on some of the bad behavior. Parents should be prepared to talk to their children about the movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byBluewind October 27, 2009

I absolutely loved this movie. I was a fan of the book when I was younger and I was not disappointed with the movie like many other moms seem to be. While the movie does have an overall gloominess to it, I think it is an accurate reflection of real life. Just because it is a kids book does not mean that there were not always underlying issues. The movie only amplifies what was already there. Many childrens books have been made into movies for older audiences and that is okay. I would not let my daughter watch this or anyone under the age of eight or nine but I think it really depends on the maturity level of your child. My daughter is six and she can already relate to almost all of these issues at home/school but that doesn't mean she will fully grasp the concept of the movie. Most of all, I feel like I can relate.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bySuperParent October 26, 2009

monsters y

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE!!!!
Adult Written bybxanalyst October 26, 2009

More violent than expected...

It needs to be mentioned that Max bites his mom and then runs away from home.