All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Teen, 13 years old Written bymngirl August 30, 2010

Zero Stars- Don't Even LOOK At It!

Went to see it on my birthday. Worst. Movie. Ever. By far. It was pointless. The book was better. But, the worst movie by far! It was so bad that I wanted to throw up, bury myself in a hole and die. Can you PLEASE let me rate it zero stars. Believe me, I would! It's like a black hole! I wasted my life. Its so depressing and just plain horrible! Don't take kids to see it, don't even LOOK at it, don't rent, buy it, nothing!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybpixie December 22, 2010

DISTURBING

I went and watched it with my four year old brother and dad, and I CRIED. It was an amazing movie, I have to say, but very, very violent and disturbing. I had nightmares. First of all, the opening scenes made me tear up a little bit. Max is making a snowfort and her sister and her friends (some boys) come over and the guys start tearing it apart, and they jump on top of him, causing him to cry and his lip to bleed. Then, they just leave. The mother swears at him later and is emotionally abusive to him, which was horrible. He then runs away and finds a little boat and goes through the ocean to get to a tiny island, where he finds the "Wild Things". In short form, they have fun together, but there are some extremely disturbing and scenes. They can also be very gruesome, such as when someone's arm is torn off, and also one of the characters goes on a rant and tears after Max, proclaiming he's going to eat him, so another character hides Max in her sticky, gooey, dark MOUTH. Ew. Horrible messages throughout the movie except at the end when Max comes home and the family bonds (sort of). All in all, it's a fantastic movie, very well put together, but NOT AT ALL like the popular's children's book. Not for anyone under ten, and even that's pushing it. Gruesome, disturbing, violent, but in the end ... amazing. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byjason913 October 18, 2009

Not for kids, but still a great film!

This is not a kids film. I just want to get that misconception off your mind right now. Anyway, this is a very good film for several reasons. One, it doesn't treat you like a little kid and spoon feed you corporate approved morals. All the characters have flaws and are not shown as role models. All the wild things are essentialy different facets of anyone's personality, making the film very transcendent. Also, it doesn't beat you over the head with obnoxious slapstick like most of today's tripe. It leaves room for lots of--gasp!--dramatic moments! So anyway, even though it isn't for kids under 10, anyone over 10 who knows that not every movie is happy times and gumdrops will be satisfied, at least.
Kid, 10 years old December 6, 2010

boring, dark, and the worst movie ever

I really HATE this movie. Don't buy it, Don't rent it, Don't think about buying it, and worst of all, Don't even LOOK at it.
Kid, 7 years old July 10, 2010
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2010

For children 9 and up but who understand symbolic and emotional elements.

This movie is really good, but if you are ready for crying and sobbing, don't see it. It's a rather dark children's movie and most of the elements children 8 and under might not understand. Symbolic elements include Carol, who, in my interpretation, is Max's symbol of fear and redemption, KW is the theme of warmth and love, the owls are wisdom, the bull dude is shyness, the goat man is anti-war or peace, and the two "lover" (not really) wild things are sadness, which is the girl, and confusion, the boy wild thing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAtlanticSkies May 8, 2010

Too Wild

I like the mosnters, they're sweet, but at the beginning of the movie Max was beating up a dog, and he was just crazy! My brothers are wired now with ideas of torturing me! Actually, the movie is playing right now, but I left cuz It was horrible. I don't mind some crazy, but this is off the wall, and they keep distroying things. . .
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2010

This is not a good movie at all

I hated this movie. It was very upsetting and the role models are really bad. That kid seriously needs to control himself and he serious needs a huge time out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLittle movie freak December 20, 2009

The Best film of 2009!

This is the best movie of the year by far since "The Blind Side"! "Where The Wild Things Are is a darker sometimes scarier and a sad experience.This movie has some intense situations that include Carol (the main Wild Thing in the group)having bad behavior and lots intense fights such as dirt clod war and a scene where Carol and Douglas have an (upsetting to younger kids)intense fight Spoiler Alert: where Carol breaks Douglas's favorite arm (sort of funny to look at) and has a stick to replace it. There is brief language that include the d and the h word.Insults are used pretty strongly (especially used in fights)that include stupid and God.This movie is also played in Imax theaters too and if you see it there it will be more intense and upsetting for kids 9 and under.There are also some adult parts younger kids won't understand. This movie is a the BEST movie of the 2009 year by far. U need 2 C this movie ASAP(as soon as possible.)It's movie I loved and that I gave an A . It's something that adults will LOVE and cry at and a movie that (older kids 10 + )will probably enjoy too, but will not enjoy it as much as I did. 5 stars. An A !
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheeserules October 16, 2009

This is an amazing movie. It's leagues better than the garbage they churn out for kid's movies these days. You know why? This isn't a kid's movie, at least in the normal sense. It's appropriate for kids...there are some tense moments for younger kids...but older kids and adults will get way more out of it. It's emotional, dark, moody, and incredibly heartfelt. This isn't a movie that shies away from difficult themes, so if you want your kid to grow up sheltered from the big, bad world and believe that life is all happy and perfect, avoid this film. Otherwise, see it!!
Kid, 12 years old February 28, 2015

Unique and wonderful

As a 12 year old, I think this movie is absolutely stunning and perfectly fine for kids. Its very different and a bit confusing at times and can be interpreted in different ways. I personally liked it because it can really make you think about things in a different way. Highly recommended.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life October 4, 2014

My Review on "Were the Wild Things Are"!

Parents must know that even though the movie is rated "PG for mild thematic elements", the themes in this movie are in no way mild. It has themes of loneliness, your parent getting a new partner, running away from home, and bullying. This is a dark, depressing, and at times disturbing adaption of the book. But it shows what the book actually meant. The mature themes in the movie were also hidden in the book. Max has 2 very intense breakdowns, one of which he decides to run away. The wild things are have some violent games, one of which, carol rips the goats arm off. Max crawls in carols stomach. There are some very good messages in this movie. I love it because its way way WAY different than most family films out there. It has that dark tone that I love. This movie is more of a hard PG/mild PG13. The reasons i gave it 12+ is because kids may find it boring and slow moving, and also, its almost as poignant as TFIOS. I myself love it, but thats me. Second best movie of 2009. Love it. Oh yeah P.S. Parents, be prepared for a dark, depressing, often poignant adaption of a book that your 4 yo likes to read. Suggested MPAA Rating: PG13 - for action/violence and some thematic material
Teen, 15 years old Written bybjf15 June 9, 2014

I saw this a couple of years back and it is just the worst. A boy leaves his family and joins this group of monsters. I was bored, weirded out, and completely not interested. Only good part was the ending.

Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2014

okay

hard, sad movie, for teens
Kid, 9 years old March 3, 2014

This adaption of Maurice Sendak's book is wonderful!

Director Spike Jonze is at his best with this adaption of Maurice Sendak's Where The Wild Things Are. What makes this film iffy for kids is that there is a brief scene of people kissing and drinking wine, and the violence is the settings, and what the wild things do. There are some mature themes, but only the most mature kids will be able to handle them.
Kid, 10 years old October 10, 2013

Amazing but Edgy

Great movie. The movie does have a dark side though. It really focuses on friendship and loneliness which I think can be a little much to handle for kids under 7 yrs. old. It's a wonderful movie and it brings out the wild thing, the kid, and hope in everyone. I would watch out for mild language that's very frequent Some violence that's really not that bad. Some of the wild things get mildly injured in some of the crazy games they play and the "wild rumpus" but they always end up fine. Great movie just, beware of some stuff.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOliviaCinema April 13, 2013

Adventurous tale with a great soundtrack

Well when i first saw this film I was 12. Right now I'm 14 and I think this film waas pretty good if you understand it. It kind of steers off from the book (how can you make a movie out of a short story?), but I enjoyed it. It has good acting, a WONDERFUL indie rock soundtrack, and a heartwarming story. Just warning, it is pretty hard to understand the plot, but it's an unforgetable adventure.
Kid, 9 years old October 29, 2012

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE

a good adaption of the book
Teen, 13 years old Written bybioniclecomeback56 April 25, 2012

HATE THIS MOVIE!!!!

They say the d word. Terrible movie anyway
Kid, 8 years old March 3, 2012

Sorry but don't want to watch it agian.

The first thing made me and my freinds laugh.Its not good for 5 year olds because the monsters might scare them.Unfortauntly I won't watch it agian,I was seven at the time i watched it and thats when i thought stuff like that was good,But im eight now and i want something a bit more scarier.