All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Teen, 17 years old Written bymikala46 October 20, 2009

30 pepole walked out of the movie because they said it was to scary mt son didnt get to go on his feild trip his students said it looks scary
Kid, 9 years old October 20, 2009

I just think it scared me because of when Carol one of the wild things was trying to eat Max and i cried throughout the movie
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleboy October 18, 2009

The Most Moving Movie of the Year; Not in Any Way a Kid's Film

I left Spike Jonez's "Where the Wild Things Are" in something of a trance. I went in expecting an exciting kid's movie, and left having experienced an ingenious exercise in symbolism, visual art, and psychology. Not exactly every four year-old's dream. The film tells the seemingly simple tale of Max, a boy starving for attention from his divorced mother and quintessentially teenaged sister. When he becomes fed up with his family's ignorance, he violently lashes out at his mother and runs away in remorse. He finds a sailboat and begins an uncharted journey. He ends up on an island inhabited by towering creatures that, while at first sight are incredibly intimidating, seem more like real people than most film characters. One of the many strengths of the film is its exquisite subtlety; the message is so veiled that it could be interpreted a variety of ways. To me, the "Wild Things" were each a part of Max's psyche, representing different emotions (his "inner demons"), there to counsel him through his hardships. Sound deep? It is, and it's not really for young ones. There are tense and scary scenes, and they will likely be upset at the overall dreariness of the creatures and the movie. (However, they will undoubtedly enjoy the gorgeous visual style of the film; very raw and rough.) The ending of this film is one of the more brilliant endings since "The Sixth Sense," sending your mind into an all-out sprint to dig deeper and deeper into the movie's endless well of morals and metaphors. And it's a well worth digging into. One of my favorite movies this year. *Just for the record, Max Records (Max in the movie) is also from Oregon. YAY!
Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2009

Well done movie

Pretty good. May get confusing and boring but Max Records does an amazing job. the beginning is realistic and a bit sad. A few scenes could have been cut from the middle. It's kind of sad and dark plus lots of violence for little kids, but 8 and over are fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMonofever12 October 18, 2009

Not that good for the age group it's intended for.

The main character Max, well, has serious problems. This will make you 6 year old think it's fine to jump on the table, bark, growl, bite, run away, not good for younger kids. Also, Carol is thrown into rampages and has mood swings and everything.
Teen, 17 years old Written byZimMan2 October 17, 2009

This is not a movie. It is a film. This is not entertainment, it is a work of art. A peice of poetry. This film was beautiful on so many levels, visually, technically, artistically, nostalgicly. Every one of every age, sex, color, reliegion, background should see this film. Parents of young boys especially. Go see it. Now.
Teen, 13 years old Written byQL11 October 17, 2009

I just saw it today. I don't want to spoil anything, so if you haven't seen the movie, stop reading this comment now. The movie is dark. That's all. It's not like a cheesy, family blockbuster movie made just for the money. It's artsy, VERY well done, but dark. So, here's what to expect in the movie, yet again, there will be some spoilers: It's pretty violent at times. At one point, the main wild thing, Carol, ripped off another wild thing's arm (sounds WAY more violent than it is, there is NO blood). Max doesn't have many friends, and for the whole movie up until the end, Max is very sad about his life. His sister ignores him. The good things about the movie, though, is that it is very funny, humor that kids in the theatre laughed at loud about. What gets me mad about these comments, by the way, is that people are saying "Max doesn't really solve any of their problems", which is totally wrong. Max DOES solve his and the Wild Things' problems in the end. He rebuilds his relationship with his mother, and, even though he does get in a little fight with Carol, he is crying when Max leaves, and it's obvious that Max is still great friends with all of the Wild Things. So, would I change anything about the movie? Of course I would. Is it a little violent and sad? Yes, it is. You have to know your kids and know if they could handle it. My 3-year-old cousin saw it w/ my aunt recently, and as they where leaving the theatre, he said "That was awesome!" Some kids might handle it differently, though. If you can't bring your kids, I suggest you go see it by yourself, because this is a great movie for adults as well.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarkdani17 October 17, 2009

not such a good book

the best part was the middle but still he doesn't really solve any of their problems and he just keeps running away from his. When he leaves home he's being a brat and when he gets back he gets cake for doing that (???) yea i don't think so
Kid, 10 years old October 17, 2009

It's cute. I mean, I'm not a loud to say the d and h word, but most kids know not to repeat it. I mean, look at your friends, childhood or now- their parents have or had a wine cellar, use bad words, and the rest. But has that made you do the same? NO! So knock it off!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydell177 October 17, 2009

i love it it is just !@#$%^&**()_=!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTJ 1o1 October 16, 2009

SO-SO

pretty good movie better for younger kids...just came back from the midnight showing..best if you have nothing better to do...plus im the 1st review WHOO-HOO!!!!