All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Parent Written byTrails2Ocean March 24, 2012

Bizarre depressing movie

Freakishly weird, depressing movie. Hated it, kids hated it, not recommended!
Parent Written byBishop Loves Gir September 27, 2011

WHAT THE..........

I did not like this movie.it is dark and creepy.Parents will be bored and kids will be frightened.a kid runs away,a chickens arm is pulled off and more.also a boy bites his mom
Teen, 15 years old Written byRapstartswithC September 20, 2011

Ah-Full

The movie ended before it began...it was very boring with no apparent storyline. Depressing and strange, this adaptation of the classic children's book was definitely a disappoining one. (At least 2 uses of the word d**n and 1 inappropriately used "God").
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011
Suggested MPAA Rating: NC-17 for Extremely bad influences and stupidity.
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2011

depressing and odd

The messages were weird, scary , and downright depressing. I used to LOVE the book but the movie has totally ruined it for me. It's absolutly nothing like the book and i'm kind of dissapointed with it.
Adult Written byclassictaste November 27, 2010

Boring, even to a 2 year old.

Most boring, no plot or character development - and almost just no plot - movie I think I've ever seen. Pure exploitation of just taking a kids' book - which has little plot or substance to it anyway compared to almost any other children's literature, and is significant only for its fairly ugly drawings - and making a movie out of it, by drawing it out for 90 min, or whatever its length was, with a bunch of non-directional,unsubstantial mucking around that really is about on the level of what a boring and untalented 4-6 year old would make up, addilng in some more interesting costumes and a llittle stupid humming music, and knowing that the public will go see it anyway and reviewers will rave about it because it is a kids' book. A self fulfilling profit prophecy. About as "creative" and interesting as a bunch of bored teenagers hanging around and throwing bottles at a wall to break them because they can't think of anything else to do. That's the plot. Amazingly, Sendak seemed to have a hand in producing this, which makes me think even less of his book than I did before.
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2010

good for 11 and up

not rlly a good movie a monster rips off the one monsters arm off!
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2010

badness

NO PLOT! couldnt understand a thing!
Parent Written byChatanoogaChooChoo September 6, 2010

Not a good movie, not a good childrens movie.

I don't like this movie from either a artistic standpoint, nor for the sake of a child. First of all artistically the movie goes nowhere, and very slowly. The high points are violence, anger, and smashing things, and the low points are absolute silence (the boring kind). Really, nothing happens in this movie. If it weren't for the giant hairy monsters and the total lack of adults in the wild thing land, children would not be kept amused whatsoever. This was a great book, but a horrible movie. Max, the assumed protagonist, is absolutely childish and spoiled. He's got a very overactive imagination, which gets him into trouble. He bites his mom! (idk about you but I can certainly imagine children across the world laughing at that, scary right?) The way this kid acts I really wouldn't be surprised if he grew up with emotional issues. His best friend is also childish, jealous, paranoid, and takes things for granted. Not a very good role model. All of the wild things have a very "devil may-care" attitude, they act almost like half zombie in their speech and roles in the movies. They are all very quick to anger. There is a theme of distruction, and the emotional themes of this movie are totally and completely missed by children, There isn't a way they can comprehend. Considering that the original book is very old, I'm assuming that the target audience is adults, who grew up with the book, and not children who are reading it now.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywinterpercussion August 23, 2010

I wish I could rate it negative five stars...

This movie is stupid!!! Not even worth seeing!!! Here's the story in a summary... The opening consists of the boy with a fork chasing his dog and screaming then like chocking it. Then events happen he throws a huge tantrum and destroys his sisters room. Next the kid gets mad with his mother then screams bits her wrestles with her then he runs away scream in the woods then he gets on a boat goes to the island meets random huge ugly monsters smashing houses for no good reason he lies about some stuff then they make him the king of them then stupid stuff happens the kid scream others scream and howl then they decide randomly to build a fort then they have a dirt clog fight. Then the monsters figure out how he lied in the beginning one gets UNBELIEVABLY mad then wants to eat the kid then events happen then the kid gets back on the boat and goes home. the last scene of him eating dinner with his mother and smiling then it ends.......I mean what the hell this movie had NO STORYLINE they just did random stuff and destroyed stuff and screamed then threw tantrums it WAS HORRIBLE DON'T WASTE A HOUR AND 30 MIN OF YOUR LIFE!!!
Kid, 10 years old August 13, 2010

This is nothing like the book

Max is misbehaved and run away, I feel uncomfortable when wild thing are unhappy, and Max comes home but does not apologize! THIS IS BASED ON A KIDS BOOK!! But they are making all of the bad stuff not meant for kids and IT BECOMES A BAD MOVIE. I think they overdid the bad stuff with no real "happy ending". I was tempted to give this a one star rating. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymotheroftwoboys July 28, 2010

Not a good movie

My 11year old thought this was the worst movie he had ever seen. I agree, it was weird and often didn't make sense. Don't waste your time.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 9 year old Written bytooka July 26, 2010

Adults who know better might stomach this one

The darkness of Max's selfishness is never frowned upon. His mother is framed as a weak when Max's disrespect is condoned. I would not let me kids(9,5,2) see this movie.
Kid, 7 years old July 10, 2010
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2010

HORRIBLE

This movie is very disturbing, violent, and sad. Do not see this movie!!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykvpm June 14, 2010
This movie was nothing like what I expected. I grew up with the book and love the book. The family life of Max was filled with drama and misbehavior (more than I'd have expected). The "wild things" were scary and violent. I do not recommend it for children.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byrachel4missions June 8, 2010

would not recommend

They turned a cute book about a kid's active imagination into a terrifying set of hallucinations by a sociopathic and possibly schizophrenic little boy. He bites his mom, destroys his sister's things, runs out of the house into the street and woods, attacks his clearly upset dog with a FORK, and various other horrible things that weren't in the book. The movie is scary and I would definitely not let most kids under their tweens watch it.
Kid, 11 years old May 28, 2010

horrible

my mom and i watched this movie she said she wanted to see but at the end she said something like i wish i would have trusted the reviews
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byhurricane1963 May 27, 2010
Just a dark, confusing, violent movie. Nothing particulary good about it. The message is confusing even to an adult at times. At one point Carol rips of the arm of one of the other Wild Things and sand pours out. He later tries to make it up by sticking a branch on in place of the missing arm. My family was ready for a nice story that expanded on the book, and instead we found it difficult to follow or understand, dark and with no real plot. The only message my 8 and 11 year old got from it was that no matter how horribly you behave your mom still loves you. All the characters were pretty one dimensional. All in all we all hated it.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byMatthewsStepMom May 14, 2010
This is NOT a kid's movie. Our 9 year old requested we turn it off early in the movie when the character, Max, throws a major tantrum and bites his mother. Our son had enough at that point. We finished watching it after he went to bed and we were sorely disappointed - it was way too dark and loaded with negative emotions.