All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Kid, 10 years old October 10, 2013

Amazing but Edgy

Great movie. The movie does have a dark side though. It really focuses on friendship and loneliness which I think can be a little much to handle for kids under 7 yrs. old. It's a wonderful movie and it brings out the wild thing, the kid, and hope in everyone. I would watch out for mild language that's very frequent Some violence that's really not that bad. Some of the wild things get mildly injured in some of the crazy games they play and the "wild rumpus" but they always end up fine. Great movie just, beware of some stuff.
Parent of a 12 year old Written by1elysium1 June 27, 2013

TOO DISTURBINGLY DARK, SCARY, VIOLENT, ETC!!!!!!!

read 1ELYSIUM's review
Teen, 14 years old Written byOliviaCinema April 13, 2013

Adventurous tale with a great soundtrack

Well when i first saw this film I was 12. Right now I'm 14 and I think this film waas pretty good if you understand it. It kind of steers off from the book (how can you make a movie out of a short story?), but I enjoyed it. It has good acting, a WONDERFUL indie rock soundtrack, and a heartwarming story. Just warning, it is pretty hard to understand the plot, but it's an unforgetable adventure.
Kid, 9 years old October 29, 2012

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE

a good adaption of the book
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

I though it was gonna be a peice of crap,BUT I WAS WRONG!!!

I don't know what the Oscars are talking about when they treat this movie like dirt.It's a thrilling,action packed movie,so stop bashing it,Oscars.
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 7, 2012

Not like the book!

Even though this movie is based on the children's book, it is actually kinda sad and somewhat frighening. There's also a surprising amount of violence, mostly punches and throwing debris. Besides all that, this movie does teach about growing up and how streesful it can be sometimes. This movie is ok for kids ages 8 and up.
Parent Written bys.asbury April 27, 2012

think first

This movie was good. I would not show it to children under 11. The relationship themes are very mature and the overall movie is quite depressing.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybioniclecomeback56 April 25, 2012

HATE THIS MOVIE!!!!

They say the d word. Terrible movie anyway
Parent of a 10 year old Written bywhitt105 March 31, 2012

Review this movie before sharing with your child/ren.

My daughter is a mature, thoughtful 10 year old. She said she liked the movie, though she found it dark and disturbing. I agreed and wished we had waited til she was a bit older to see it. We have always avoided any violence in movies, so this had a strong affect on her. Overall, a worthwhile movie with powerful messages about "family" dynamics, anger, regret, jealousy, love, ...I think we'll be discussing and interpreting this movie for some time to come.
Parent Written byTrails2Ocean March 24, 2012

Bizarre depressing movie

Freakishly weird, depressing movie. Hated it, kids hated it, not recommended!
Kid, 8 years old March 3, 2012

Sorry but don't want to watch it agian.

The first thing made me and my freinds laugh.Its not good for 5 year olds because the monsters might scare them.Unfortauntly I won't watch it agian,I was seven at the time i watched it and thats when i thought stuff like that was good,But im eight now and i want something a bit more scarier.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylonelysongbird February 20, 2012

Very deep and thought provoking

When I first saw this movie, I cried myself to sleep. From the very beginning, when Max's igloo was trampled by his sister and her friends, I felt tears welling up. When Max was sailing away and Carol was sobbing and wading into the water, I just wanted to crawl under my covers and cry. After a night of deep thinking and recovering from the sadness, I appreciated this movie for its deepness and themes. It provoked a lot of thoughts and ideas about friendship and personal matters, and had many hidden morals. The content would probably not be understood by children or some young adults, though.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 12, 2012

Sad

Really sad. A good movie though
Adult Written bykeeyan January 29, 2012

this movie is just fine

i have nothing to say
Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2011

Know why I cried in the end?

BECAUSE I HAD JUST WASTED ABOUT 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE WATCHING THIS STUPID MOVIE!! Do not see it under any circumstances.
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 17, 2011

Too violent for anyone but mature teens and adults.

My MPAA rating: R for constant scenes of intense disturbing violence.
Parent Written byBishop Loves Gir September 27, 2011

WHAT THE..........

I did not like this movie.it is dark and creepy.Parents will be bored and kids will be frightened.a kid runs away,a chickens arm is pulled off and more.also a boy bites his mom
Teen, 15 years old Written byRapstartswithC September 20, 2011

Ah-Full

The movie ended before it began...it was very boring with no apparent storyline. Depressing and strange, this adaptation of the classic children's book was definitely a disappoining one. (At least 2 uses of the word d**n and 1 inappropriately used "God").
Kid, 9 years old September 5, 2011

action

weird but funny
Educator Written byWagz2011 August 15, 2011

Very engaging and thought provoking movie exploring the complexities of interpersonal relationships.

Very engaging and thought provoking movie adaptation of a well loved classic children's story book, that explores themes of dysfunctional relationships as well as effective relationship management, loneliness, anger, forgiveness, accepting and facing up to consequences, and Love. Though the imaginary characters are strange yet lovable at the same time and may appeal to young children and adults familiar with the children's story book, the themes and many scenes as well as some language is unsuitable for younger children, and parental guidance and explanation of the underlying messages is highly recommended for older children.