All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byronandkelly October 17, 2009
It would be a little violent for younger kids, because it is realistic violence (not cartoonish). Younger kids might not understand the subtle messages.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum October 17, 2009

Magical and moving, but not typical family fare.

Three generations of my family saw this together, and we were all entertained and touched. My 7yr.-old son understood it was not a "typical" kids movie, but could still appreciate the imaginative aspects, and relate to the characters. You owe it to your kids, and inner-kid, to experience this special film! See our family's review on YouTube: "Gab, Dad & Max review Where the Wild Things Are"!
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byDoppelganger October 17, 2009

Awful. Just awful.

My son got bored part way through the movie and stopped paying attention. Max was indeed out of control, in fact he seemed lonely and emotionally disturbed. The wild things were more of the same. I think all kids movies should have a Happy Ever After ending, which this one lacked. Yes, Max went home, but we never saw him make nice with his sister or make any friends of his own. This was a sad, disturbing, and (luckily) boring movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarkdani17 October 17, 2009

not such a good book

the best part was the middle but still he doesn't really solve any of their problems and he just keeps running away from his. When he leaves home he's being a brat and when he gets back he gets cake for doing that (???) yea i don't think so
Parent of an infant and 10 year old Written byErinO116 October 17, 2009
I think with an opened mind children will understand the movies complex message, we need to give our children a little more credit. It is a movie that children and their parents can see, talk about, and possibly READ together. I think it bridges the generation gaps.
Kid, 10 years old October 17, 2009

It's cute. I mean, I'm not a loud to say the d and h word, but most kids know not to repeat it. I mean, look at your friends, childhood or now- their parents have or had a wine cellar, use bad words, and the rest. But has that made you do the same? NO! So knock it off!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydell177 October 17, 2009
i love it it is just !@#$%^&**()_=!!!!!
Parent of a 6, 12, and 15 year old Written bykjniko October 17, 2009

Terrible job done on a beloved book.

Terrible job done on a beloved book. Kids of various ages - 15, 12, 7, 6 - did not like this book adaptation. Long, a little scary and dark. If you are not in love with the book - you might like the movie. Let the wild rumpus start in your own imagination and stay away!
Parent of a 8 and 14 year old Written bymimsmithfaro October 16, 2009
I loved it. My 14 year old did too. My 8 year old was sad though. He is very sensitive and was very sad to see Max leave the Wild Things. I was very surprised to see several much younger children- 4 and 5. I didn't think it was appropriate for that age. It was too complex, too scary, and too long for them. I also think you should be prepared to discuss the choices Max made and the repercussions of our actions.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byKKline5 October 16, 2009

Boys loved the action; Mom loved the message (and the action).

My boys (5.5 & 7 yrs.) and I love this book and were all very excited to see the movie. They loved seeing the similarities and the extended action in the movie. Although I was touched more by the underlying message of an imaginative misunderstood boy that loves his mom, we all enjoyed it very much. Also, I wouldn't say my boys were scared but captivated.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bykelldeal October 16, 2009

good for all ages

i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byMAXTHEKINGOFALL... October 16, 2009

Perfect for 6 and up. Great messages.

Wow. This is a fantastic film that will really connect with kids but also has something to say to adults. It's powerful, but not SO powerful that it won't be fun for your kids. Yes, there is a little language, but really, they WON'T notice.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTJ 1o1 October 16, 2009

SO-SO

pretty good movie better for younger kids...just came back from the midnight showing..best if you have nothing better to do...plus im the 1st review WHOO-HOO!!!!