All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHallie56 August 1, 2011

Parents will see it different than children.

If parents watch this with their kids they might notice things that will pass kids by. For example, many of the wild things depict people in Max's life (Carol-Max, KW-Claire, Bull that doesn't talk- his father) To kids it will be a movie about monsters on an island where they build a fort have have dirt fights, overall the movie is about Max struggling with his sister growing up, his mother dating other people, and his escape is his imagination... the island isn't real but he imagines the whole thing. It does take some time to understand and evaluate but it is worth it because it is a really good movie.
Kid, 11 years old July 31, 2011

Awful!!!!!!

This movie was awful! Not only was it a huge disappointment, it was REALLY scary!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybrodytrinceTV May 30, 2011

love it

i love this movie just watch i, if you dont like the story, well just look at the awesome work they put into it
Parent of a 5, 6, and 10 year old Written bymama p May 14, 2011

Beautiful hard core symbolism by a brilliant director...for adults

I would like to start by saying that i LOVE Spike Jones and think he is brilliant. This movie is not an exception; but not for kids. This movie was written for the generation that grew up in this book.... the home scenes even embody the late 70s/early 80s vibe. This movie captures intensely the emotions involved with children experiencing divorce. It is emotionally violent. Really sad. Kids would unlikely get that.... not many parents could even put it together. This is great film for someone to watch if they want to know what it feels like to have a disfunctional broken family. If your children are sensitive (ie have not been de-sensitized by media) I would not subject them to these emotions. If disney has already succeeded in dumbing and numbing their emotional bodies then i'm sure they'll enjoy huge puppets bouncing around the screen and the huge piece of "bad-mom-guilt" cake the kid gets as a reward for running away for the night.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPirateMonkey March 25, 2011

Why was this made?

I would not recommend this movie to anyone. As a child this was one of my favorite books, and I thought that the movie would at least be interesting. But no. Firstly, the ambiguity of why Max is sent to his room has been cleared up. Apparently he bit his mother after yelling "Feed me woman!" This movie just took the book and made everything inside it tragic. There is too much fighting, sadness and conflict. A wild thing is shown destroying other wilds things houses because one of the other wild things left. One wild thing even tears the arm off another wild thing. Really, they should have left the book alone. They absolutely killed it.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bySoftball mom February 23, 2011

This movie was just a nightmare. I regret having taken my kids to see it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011

Suggested MPAA Rating: NC-17 for Extremely bad influences and stupidity.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byCzigany February 5, 2011

Use your judgement....watch it first if your kids can't handle it.

Not as bad as it's made out to be. Use your judgement on whether your kids are mature enough, or squeamish/get scared easily. My son watched it at 4, loved it, and walked away understanding the positive message. Everyone's different, though. There is violence, but the movie IS about monsters, so what did you expect? A good adaptation based on the book. Remember, the book is a classic with very little text so if you wanted exact "by the book", you would have had a 5 minute movie. Open your mind and judge based on what your child can handle. No sex issues or bad words, so it's fine with me.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylopez3486 January 21, 2011

Dark film but still a great move

Loved it. It will be very boring for little kids. But for older teens and adults it is a thought provoking master piece of a film
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

great fam movie

great movie for the whole family everyone can enjoy it
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2011

depressing and odd

The messages were weird, scary , and downright depressing. I used to LOVE the book but the movie has totally ruined it for me. It's absolutly nothing like the book and i'm kind of dissapointed with it.
Adult Written byclassictaste November 27, 2010

Boring, even to a 2 year old.

Most boring, no plot or character development - and almost just no plot - movie I think I've ever seen. Pure exploitation of just taking a kids' book - which has little plot or substance to it anyway compared to almost any other children's literature, and is significant only for its fairly ugly drawings - and making a movie out of it, by drawing it out for 90 min, or whatever its length was, with a bunch of non-directional,unsubstantial mucking around that really is about on the level of what a boring and untalented 4-6 year old would make up, addilng in some more interesting costumes and a llittle stupid humming music, and knowing that the public will go see it anyway and reviewers will rave about it because it is a kids' book. A self fulfilling profit prophecy. About as "creative" and interesting as a bunch of bored teenagers hanging around and throwing bottles at a wall to break them because they can't think of anything else to do. That's the plot. Amazingly, Sendak seemed to have a hand in producing this, which makes me think even less of his book than I did before.
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2010

good for 11 and up

not rlly a good movie a monster rips off the one monsters arm off!
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byKikstersRT October 20, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I really disliked this movie. I had a hard time getting past the first two minutes of the movie. First scene of him attacking a dog?? Loved the book though!
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2010

badness

NO PLOT! couldnt understand a thing!
Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina October 1, 2010

It Sucks....

Excuse my language, but it does very much suck. I couldn't even watch it through, the openning was of him attacking his dog. There was some random snowfight with him ending up being swished and hurt, he sits there crying while sister ignores him and leaves (One word about her B*tch) -again sorry, I know its uncalled for. So he trashes his sisters room. He and his mom have one sweet moment (if you can call it that) then when the mom brought her boyfriend over Max flipped out, got chaotic, and and bit her (actually I'd feel the same way, when I found out mom was dating someone I had a break down- don't ask me why, it isn't like I remember mom and dad ever dating so I wasn't mad about that) He runs off and takes a boat, to an island where its chaotic as well. Some monsters, eh okay, Carol... oh my gosh, hated him. He was destroying the others homes.. why? He ripped off someones arm.. why? He is always angry and violent.. why, why, why? Just, do not watch it for the saftly of ones' self. Its just.. I'm sorry, its horrible.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bykellystp September 18, 2010

Preview this movie before sitting down to for a family viewing

This is a movie about childhood for adults, maybe teens, but would not recommend it for children. Unless you want your kids to get a how to manual on how to go on a terror streak. I prefer my kids to be a little unsure of how to do itl As an adult I rate it very high, but when I think about my kids much lower.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykelsey805 September 18, 2010

too scary for me!

now, i don't get scared easily watching movies or whatever, but, this movie was just too scary for me, plus it was long and drawn out, i mean, most of it was whenever they were player this scary game that seemed to never end, and then in one scene the little boy got into one of the wild things mouths and hid, which was way too gross, anyways, i don't suggest this movie to ANYONE, it's terrible. also, there were parents leaving the movie theater with their kids!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byLythrohg September 16, 2010

Bravo Spike Jonze,

When this movie first came out, a group of friends and I went to see it. Granted we are all over the age of 15, doesnt change what positive things mature children can understand from this movie. A great cast to play the Major character and Voice actors who show the deepest of emotion jerked tears at the end of this movie. The dark erie scenes should be something almost everyone can rrelate to in childhood when carefree life changes and you start to become dependent on how others view you. The difficulty and struggle of this phase makes kids act out (as Max does) and pounds the hope out of the younger generation. The messages weree easy to follow for me now as I am older and have experienced these things but for parents are younger kids, this movie may not sit very well with them. the movie tends to be a bit violent but if you're in my recommended age group for this movie (13-18) then it won't bother you as much as an easily influenced kid. By far my favourite movie so far.
Kid, 12 years old September 14, 2010

VERY,VERY BAD MOVIE.

Oh my goodness. This movie is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. The main character is crazy! Screaming at people, biting his mom, and doing things for no potential reason! This one character thought the sun was dead! Ha! This movie has many other bad things too, but It is just.....HORRIBLE!