All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2010

For children 9 and up but who understand symbolic and emotional elements.

This movie is really good, but if you are ready for crying and sobbing, don't see it. It's a rather dark children's movie and most of the elements children 8 and under might not understand. Symbolic elements include Carol, who, in my interpretation, is Max's symbol of fear and redemption, KW is the theme of warmth and love, the owls are wisdom, the bull dude is shyness, the goat man is anti-war or peace, and the two "lover" (not really) wild things are sadness, which is the girl, and confusion, the boy wild thing.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bylisa4406 May 11, 2010

The Most Terrible and Depressing Movie Around.

My daughter is 10 years old and we borrowed this movie from a friend. Thank goodness we did not buy it, we both kept watching up to about the 1/2 way point waiting for some type of positive moment. My daughter was done after 20 minutes. We only watched half of this terrible movie. The behavior Max displays towards his family in the beginning of this film is abhorent and I found it disturbing. Max needs major therapy and must have some disorder. The monsters were all depressing and there was not plot or story line. The most terrible movie I have seen in the last 2 years.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAtlanticSkies May 8, 2010

Too Wild

I like the mosnters, they're sweet, but at the beginning of the movie Max was beating up a dog, and he was just crazy! My brothers are wired now with ideas of torturing me! Actually, the movie is playing right now, but I left cuz It was horrible. I don't mind some crazy, but this is off the wall, and they keep distroying things. . .
Adult Written byKurrt May 3, 2010

Mostly dark and chaotic with no good messages.

Terrible movie. Mostly seemed chaotic and dark.
Adult Written byKryslawlor April 12, 2010

Do not buy it, rent it or watch it

Despised it. It was awful- I usually pre-screen movies I think might be questionable for my kids. Unfortunately I didn't with this one. It was awful, depressing, brooding, disturbing, dark and weird. I would not recommend this movie for anyone, ever. I wish I could get it out of my head, and even more so my children's! Do not buy it, rent it or watch it. Seriously.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMovie Critic April 5, 2010

Definitely not?

How did this movie make it into theaters? This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. I reccomend you dont see this movie unless you feel like wasting your time.
Educator and Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bykfogarty March 30, 2010

Pick a different flick.

I thought this was one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was dark, cryptic, disturbing -- and neither one of my children liked it at all. Almost all of the characters needed some sort of mental health therapy and we were left guessing what the director was trying to communicate. A very bizarre adaption....
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byrickylynne76 March 16, 2010

Now there's two hours I'll never get back...

In a child's book made into a full length movie, I expect plot events to be, you know, added. (Think, Polar Express, etc.) Here, it's just the events from the very short book, spread over time mixed with sleeping in a pile, throwing dirt, and many violent and petty arguments. Some have said it's all metaphorical, that each wild thing represents parts of Max or his family. However, I don't believe we know enough about his family to make any informed connections. We only see them at the very beginning, centered mostly around truly disturbing behavior in Max. Honestly, he needs evaluation and probably medication. Max looks to be about age 10 or 11, and my 3-year-old would be in trouble for behaving as immaturely as he does. So, if you are in a Child Psych 101 class, analyze it in your thesis paper, include which wild thing is who and why...knock yourself out. However, as a movie experience: dark, depressing, and so boring, even the mother character falls asleep at the end.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byBill12345 March 15, 2010

Don't waste your money on the DVD

I hated this movie. It is not for kids. It was like Woody Allen without being funny. Characters were neurotic, dark and sulking, and self-absorbed, like real people. This was a pitiful adaptation of a wonderful kids book. Don't take your kids; they will be bored. .
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bycheer chick March 13, 2010
absolutely did not like any aspect of this movie. from bad role models, to kids speaking so poorly of and to their parents, to no real story line or reconciliation of the bad behavior. oh and it was the most boring kids show i have ever been to. and i love kids shows!! both my kids are totally entranced in movies and neither my 7 or 9 year old liked it. they actually asked to leave out of boredom at one point!!!
Adult Written byTom and Shar March 12, 2010

We turned it off after 20 minutes. Skip it!

I only wasted $1 renting this so I'm not too broken-hearted about turning it off after about 20 minutes.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywhitesoxbuff March 9, 2010
This was a disappointment
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarah_soda March 8, 2010

Not good.

Very strange movie; I found the family potrayed was very disfunctional and never resolved. A mother who can't control her child, a sister with not a care for her younger brother, and a child who can not control his emotions. Why, may i ask, is young Max left home alone anyways? He can't be over the age of 10. No problems are resolved, and as Max layed in his little fort nothing but bad messages are sent to kids. Kids don't realise the potiential danger of being in a snow fort, and as another boy jumps on it (an older one at that) the character is lucky to be alive. And even wost, when telling his mother what happend, he just said the boys 'wrecked his fort', not saying he was still inside at the time, nor did he even seem botherd byu the fact he could have been very hurt. Overall, I don't suggest this movie to anyone, and I used to love the book as a child, now, i have second guesses when I sdee it.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byrustfam March 2, 2010

not for young kids who like the book

thought the movie was much more disturbing than scary... the fighting was bad enough, but the loneliness theme didn't really seem to be resolved... think that would be tough to handle for younger kids.
Kid, 11 years old February 13, 2010
I don't think ripping your friends arm off is exactly appropriate...
Parent of a 8 and 14 year old Written byJoshua524 February 3, 2010

I wouldn't recommend you even rent it, it's a waste of two hours.

My 8 and 13 did not like this movie at all. We all found it completely lame and bizarre.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byjmch November 7, 2009
I thought this movie was depressing!! All the characters were sad, depressed and always arguing. I didn't expect to be telling my kids on the way home that it's not ok to destroy things or punch hole in the walls when your angry.
Kid, 10 years old November 6, 2009

The Most Horrible Movie Ever!

I Dont like the movie. The movie was horrible. I like that book better because it gives alot more details. It also makes it more interesting. If i were you going to see the movie,Dont. It's horrible.
Adult Written byalgernon November 1, 2009
This is a dark downer movie that robs the silly joy of children. It is an adult movie for those seeking an affirmation of their freudian nihilism. Don't expect to see any of the joy of the book, no pastel colors or imaginative forests. It departs so radically from the book that it can only be explained as the director trying to project their own unhappy psychology on children everywhere.
Educator and Parent of a 8 year old Written byConvent and Stu... October 25, 2009

Very Poor Messages, unfortunate given the lovely book that inspired the movie.

Standing on the kitchen counter screaming at mom? Resolving disputes via a dirt clod fight that turns ugly (predictable). Lacks positive conflict resolution modeling. Lacks appropriate anger management message. Dark, certainly NOT for children.