All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Parent of a 8, 13, and 15 year old Written byMimi9496 October 22, 2009

Big disappointment.. sad

My 13 year old daughter saw it. She was saddened and disturbed by this movie, especially the part where the monster rips the arm off of the bird. It has obviously bothered her greatly, as recently we saw the trailer for it on tv, and she again commented how she hated the movie, it was horrible and sad. I wish she never saw it. The trailers they put on tv and in theatres do not show what the movie is really all about.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byaolson October 22, 2009

Pointless and boring

My 8 and 10 yr. olds were bored, as was I. It's not funny or adventurous or mysterious. It is pointless, dark, and long.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycb123 October 22, 2009

Stay home

I hated it! Thought it was depressing and had absolutely no plot. The theme was bout harboring unforgivness and resentment without conflict resolution. DONT waste your TIME or money.
Kid, 9 years old October 21, 2009

A must see.

Where the wild things are is a very good movie but there is some swearing and a little violence when the dirt claud fight comes to play. I think it could be enjoyed by all of your family and the parents can find out even more. There is good music and there's lots of playing. The movie is very emotional there's lots of big ideas that are good to ponder on.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bylauried October 21, 2009
This movie is for adults/teens that enjoyed the book...not children. Violent scenes and adult themes make the movie difficult for younger children to follow.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byburndog79 October 21, 2009

Completely lame- and yes I got it. Even from a deeper level, very, very lame and negative.

Terribly negative. Bad ju ju and depressing thoughts and behaviors all through the movie. If you want your kids to think that destroying things and running away are a way to get chocolate cake for dinner, then take them to this movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byTwin Mom October 20, 2009

Good for Psychologists Only - not for kids of any age!

This was supposed to uplifting movie of finding true friendship in any form. Instead it was a bunch or lonely, depressed beings with nothing good to say, nothing to smile about and no positive messages for children whatsoever. I was so disappointed. This movie is maybe only for phychologists wanting a metaphore for the inner thoughts of a child disturbed by divorce, This was not an entertaining movie, but a movie to be analyzed in Psych101 - at most. Dreadful! And disappointing! Afterwards I kept saying to my children - thank goodness we're not as grumpy and sad as those people/monsters! Yuck! What message is this sending?
Adult Written bydedkad October 19, 2009
I hated this movie. I thought it was incredibly boring and not suited for children at all. After suffering through all the violent scenes, at least I was hoping for some payoff as far as a moral to the story, so my kids could at least understand that there are consequences to their negative actions. There was no moral. The movie ended abruptly, and I imagine the bratty Max and the awful monsters are continuing to mistreat everyone who comes into their path.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 9 year old Written byemjoyce October 19, 2009

Dark and Depressing

My children and I enjoy this book by Maurice Sendak so much we were thrilled at the idea of seeing the movie. I was so disappointed at the dark, depressing emotions I felt while watching it. I apologized to my children for taking them. When we read the book at home, we make it fun! There are a couple pages that have no text while Max and the "Wild Things" are having their "rumpus" and we get up, make funny noises, and dance aroung the room. The previews are not at all accurate to the mood of this film. In my opinion, there are enough issues in real life to make us feel blue. When I go to a movie with my children I want to see smiles on their faces and hear them giggle.
Adult Written bywatchfuleyemom October 18, 2009
Disappointed that Spike Jonzes' chose to take an innocent, well intentioned children's story and turn it into a heavy, dark, scary, nightmare. My 11 year old came out disappointed and overwhelmed with the characters and their behavior. My 13 year old related to the ups and downs of Max's emotions and the feelings of isolation and loneliness. I was disappointed with the choice to have no dialogue between Max and the mother at the end. Too bad, we were looking forward to this one!
Educator and Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written byheathcliff0855 October 18, 2009
I thought this was one of the worst movies I have seen in a while. It was very slow and very dark. Not a good children's movie
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byTN Mom October 18, 2009

"HR Pufinstuf" meets "Willow" - TERRIBLE

Although I felt sorry for Max as a troubled child, his terrible behavior was validated in the movie with no consequences. His whole family was out of control, not just him. Furthermore, the animals behaved just like Max, validating how "fun" it can be to be wild and irresponsible. There was lots of yelling, which scared my 6 yr old daughter - I left the theatre twice with her crying. (Had we not been with a group, we would have left the movie altogether) Even from an adults point of view, it was just not good, but it is definitely not for children under 10. I wouldn't waste my $ on it anyway - take them to see something else or bowling instead.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byKP Big Dog October 17, 2009
My almost 8 year old hated this movie along with my entire family. It has to be one of the worst movies for kids I have ever seen. Max appeared to be a profoundly emotionally disturbed child. The wild things behavior was totally inappropriate too. We tried to use it as a teaching point on why this behavior is totally unacceptable but my son was so disturbed he said he never wanted us to mention the movie again. Don't waste your money.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymomofblessings October 17, 2009

The worst kids movie I have EVER seen!

This movie was the pits! If you do not want your child to see a disrespectful, out of control child as the hero of a movie, do not take them to see Where the Wild Things Are. Also, the adult themes in the movie were WAY too much. I thought this was a KIDS movie, not an adult daytime drama. In my opinion, (and that of my friend who went with me) it couldn't have been worse. Do not waste the money, and the hour and a half of your life you will never get back!
Parent of a 2, 5, and 6 year old Written byagopi123 October 16, 2009

If your kids weren't already depressed, they will be after this movie.

The movie was too dark and very depressing. Everyone is lonely, sad, depressed, fighting and talking badly to each other thru out the whole movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byxlynchiex July 3, 2016

Traumatising

It's a beautifully made movie, there's no doubt. But my class saw it as a field trip when I was in grade five, and I found it highly disturbing and terrifying. Despite being someone who loves dark and gory media, I was absolutely frightened when it came to the violent scenes. The atmosphere of the entire thing was downright creepy and put me on edge, and throughout the whole thing I was absolutely miserable. I found the scene where one of their arms gets ripped off so terrifying, that I didn't open my eyes again until the movie was over. This movie is not suitable for kids to be watching. If I had watched it when I was older, I probably would have enjoyed it more. It's beautiful to look at, and the acting is amazing. The island is very eerie and simple. It has important messages in it, but you'd have to be mature to see them, as the whole movie is showing you what you SHOULDN'T do. Great for adults, horrifying for kids (adults too to be honest).
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 June 7, 2015
I remember watching this. A really good, yet dark film.
Kid, 12 years old February 28, 2015

Unique and wonderful

As a 12 year old, I think this movie is absolutely stunning and perfectly fine for kids. Its very different and a bit confusing at times and can be interpreted in different ways. I personally liked it because it can really make you think about things in a different way. Highly recommended.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life October 4, 2014

My Review on "Were the Wild Things Are"!

Parents must know that even though the movie is rated "PG for mild thematic elements", the themes in this movie are in no way mild. It has themes of loneliness, your parent getting a new partner, running away from home, and bullying. This is a dark, depressing, and at times disturbing adaption of the book. But it shows what the book actually meant. The mature themes in the movie were also hidden in the book. Max has 2 very intense breakdowns, one of which he decides to run away. The wild things are have some violent games, one of which, carol rips the goats arm off. Max crawls in carols stomach. There are some very good messages in this movie. I love it because its way way WAY different than most family films out there. It has that dark tone that I love. This movie is more of a hard PG/mild PG13. The reasons i gave it 12+ is because kids may find it boring and slow moving, and also, its almost as poignant as TFIOS. I myself love it, but thats me. Second best movie of 2009. Love it. Oh yeah P.S. Parents, be prepared for a dark, depressing, often poignant adaption of a book that your 4 yo likes to read. Suggested MPAA Rating: PG13 - for action/violence and some thematic material
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2014

okay

hard, sad movie, for teens