All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBrandon4News April 13, 2010

Iffy stuff, Very Good

Thins movie is quite the wild thing. It is actually quite dark and contains some disturbing stuff. Young viewers will surely be shocked by the wild things using some mild language and a boy's terrible treatment of others. This is a brilliantly shot and scored film, worthy of praise and maybe a Blu-Ray purchase for the amazing visual ride.
Adult Written byKryslawlor April 12, 2010

Do not buy it, rent it or watch it

Despised it. It was awful- I usually pre-screen movies I think might be questionable for my kids. Unfortunately I didn't with this one. It was awful, depressing, brooding, disturbing, dark and weird. I would not recommend this movie for anyone, ever. I wish I could get it out of my head, and even more so my children's! Do not buy it, rent it or watch it. Seriously.
Kid, 10 years old April 12, 2010

:-(

it is vary SAD:(
Teen, 13 years old Written byperfectionist April 11, 2010

I like this movie.

Cool movie! I was so excited when I heard that Where The Wild Things Are was being made into a movie because it was my favorite book when I was younger. If you read the book you have to see this movie!
Kid, 10 years old April 7, 2010

Not appropriate for ages 6 and under.

This movie was okay in my opinoun. For some reason my mom just loves the movie. I give it four stars, which is pretty good. This movie have a bit of scariness in one of the parts, which made me a bit frightned. The movie is good for another reason because it teaches you a big lesson. Also, KW is a very huge role-model. She loves her friends even if she is friends with owls, she is caring, and I just don't know, she has nice characteristics. Good movie.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMovie Critic April 5, 2010

Definitely not?

How did this movie make it into theaters? This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. I reccomend you dont see this movie unless you feel like wasting your time.
Kid, 12 years old April 3, 2010

I rate this bad for for people 2 +

No ones happy despite being advertised as a happy movie carol is flat out confusing mostly every one acts anti social , kind of disturbing .over all bad
Educator and Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bykfogarty March 30, 2010

Pick a different flick.

I thought this was one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was dark, cryptic, disturbing -- and neither one of my children liked it at all. Almost all of the characters needed some sort of mental health therapy and we were left guessing what the director was trying to communicate. A very bizarre adaption....
Parent of a 4 year old Written byMoondee March 30, 2010

Maybe rent it, but definitely do not buy it.

The movie dragged on. The positive message that the movie had was strongly overshadowed by bad role model issues.
Kid, 10 years old March 25, 2010

Not a good movie dull but at least it showed a good message.
Kid, 9 years old March 24, 2010

Great film for kids.

A bit funny. Really funny when the main character (I forgot, it's been a while since I watched it) is really funny when he has a tantrum and goes to that islands full of some mental monsters!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byOregon momma March 21, 2010

Aghast......

I was so disappointed by this movie. It was not advertised as an "older" child or adult movie. I found the arm being ripped off of a character a bit much. As well as the talk about cutting out intruders' brains... I was disturbed by this stinking movie and I'm 27. The only good part was when Max went home.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2010

BADDDDDDDD!!!!!!

this was a REALLY BAD movie the people in it were REALLY freaky especially carol and the max guy has spazz attacks i didn't like the part where KW put max in her stomach that was gross....
Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2010

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bycatht March 19, 2010

Kid, 9 years old March 16, 2010

Max and K.W.'s relationship

Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byrickylynne76 March 16, 2010

Now there's two hours I'll never get back...

In a child's book made into a full length movie, I expect plot events to be, you know, added. (Think, Polar Express, etc.) Here, it's just the events from the very short book, spread over time mixed with sleeping in a pile, throwing dirt, and many violent and petty arguments. Some have said it's all metaphorical, that each wild thing represents parts of Max or his family. However, I don't believe we know enough about his family to make any informed connections. We only see them at the very beginning, centered mostly around truly disturbing behavior in Max. Honestly, he needs evaluation and probably medication. Max looks to be about age 10 or 11, and my 3-year-old would be in trouble for behaving as immaturely as he does. So, if you are in a Child Psych 101 class, analyze it in your thesis paper, include which wild thing is who and why...knock yourself out. However, as a movie experience: dark, depressing, and so boring, even the mother character falls asleep at the end.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byBill12345 March 15, 2010

Don't waste your money on the DVD

I hated this movie. It is not for kids. It was like Woody Allen without being funny. Characters were neurotic, dark and sulking, and self-absorbed, like real people. This was a pitiful adaptation of a wonderful kids book. Don't take your kids; they will be bored. .
Kid, 11 years old March 14, 2010

wow from the comments this movie sucked
Kid, 10 years old March 14, 2010