All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Adult Written bySayNoToDeathInK... January 8, 2010

Dark, twisted and violent.

This was an incredibly dark, depressing and violent movie. It showed rage and unnecessary violence throughout the entire movie. I really wanted to walk out but hoped for the happy feel good ending. It did not deliver. The sweetest part of the pre-view was when one of the wild things said Oh how I love you so. Meawhile she also said I could eat you and ment eating him not in a cute cuddle way. It was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and completly innapropriate for the age group it targeted.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfrancissca January 4, 2010

Filmed in a dark tone

The movie seems to be filmed in a very dark tone and it is amasing what the writers infered what happened from just those few pages in the book over all the movie was better than I thought and it will keep you thinking about the story for hours after the movie has ended.
Kid, 11 years old January 3, 2010

iffy for 5 and up

the movie is pretty much about growth its a wonderful movie but there is one scene where one of the monsters has a tantrum and knocks downs things and yells this would be scary for younger kids so be aware
Kid, 9 years old January 2, 2010

Why would anyone like this? It's sad, weird, lacks of story, has bad messages.

This movie was probably the one of the worst movies ever. It's terrible! I saw this with my friend, and he hated it too. A kid gets mad at his sister, wrecks her room, bites his mom, runs away, steals a boat, sails to an unknown island, becomes king of weird, giant creatures who live there, has a war, the wild things get mad, Max does the robot, Sails away, back home, where his mom isn't mad at all. There's the story. Dark, sad, weird, creepy, and bad. DON'T SEE THIS!!!
Kid, 11 years old December 30, 2009

Think before you see...

I see that a lot of parents here are complaining about the movies violence and dark themes. What you need to know is that this movie is not for kids under nine, or anyone with a weak stomach. The movie is for adults, particularly those with troubled or depressed children, and the movie shows a very detailed, accurate, and intense view of the hardships these children face. The main character, Max, is a chronically depressed boy, who does not only unleash his anger very brutally, destroying other people's possesions, hurting himself, etc. The viewer can infer that these things have been going on for awhile. He also keeps grudges. In fact, the movies opening scene is of an angry Max chasing after and hurting a small dog in his rage. The scene is very intense, but also relatively brief. After that, it shows him building an igloo in the snow. You can also tell at this scene that his father was divorced with his mother,and Max misses him. We will examine this more later. Anyway, he sees his teenage sister and some of her friends, and challenges them to a snowball fight. But things get rough, and not only is Max hurt, his igloo is destroyed. Later, he goes into her room and, in a display of anger, trashes and destroys many of her valuable possesions, including a card he made for her for Valentines day. When his mother comes home from work he tells her what happened. He gets her attention by doing an odd sort of dance act, similar to the actions of many depressed children. He also tells her a story he made up, about a vampire and some building. This is obviously related to the snow scene, as you will be able to tell. At one time, it shows his room where there are many traces of his depression.(Two headed lego people, books and clothes strewn everywhere, etc.) He comes down for dinner, in his wolf costume, and is shocked to see his mother and a man, probably her boyfriend, kissing and drinking wine. Fearing that the man will replace his father, he gets angry, hurts his mother, and runs away from home. We now transition into Max's mind and imagination he finds a boat, and sails on to an island. On the island, he meets a very wild, destructive, and intense group of monsters called The Wild Things. They threaten to eat him, but he claims to be a great ruler from a distant land, and they grant him their king. As the movie progresses, the overall feel becomes very shaggy and sad. Max tries to make the place a sort of perfect realm, where nothing bad ever happens, but things soon go awry. One of the Wild Things, K.W., introduces him to two of her friends, who are owls. Notice how the Wild Things personalities are all parts of Max, with Judith being depressed, K.W. being selfless and inclusive, and Max's friend Carol, being very much like him. However, Carol becomes jealous of the owls, and becomes very angry, much like Max, and in one intense sequence, rips Douglas's arm off.(No blood is shown.) Fortunately, K.W. helps him escape. Soon, Max begins to miss his mother, and eventually sails off to his home. Carol realizes the error of his ways, and sobs as Max leaves. We exit Max's mind and return to the real world.Max returns home, and he seems to have been gone several hours. His mother welcomes him gladly home, and while she has been generally oblivious to his problem earlier, she seems to recognize it now. It can be infered that after the movie, Max gets professional help. With all this in mind, you must realize that this movie is very unlike the book, is very dark and intense, and is most certainly not for the same audience as the one for the book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMichikorabbit2 December 28, 2009

I wasn't a big fan of this movie. Apparently you love it or you hate it. I might not be "deep" enough to handle the "complex" messages or whatever, but I just didn't find it engaging. It was certainly interesting; I had no idea what was going to happen. But it eventually left me bored. Plus, I did not like the ending. This movie is a little complex for little kids.
Teen, 16 years old Written byyukki December 24, 2009

not o.k unless 11.

it says if you run away youre parents arnt going to punish but love you even more. the mom has a b.f. over and is drinking. thay have a war and rip off a guys arm! he bites his mom.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bypinky2k December 23, 2009

Kid, 10 years old December 19, 2009

depends

i cried so hard! it's really depressing and it never ends! Makes me feel bad
Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

A very weird, confusing, and depressing movie. Still trying to find the point to it...

I really dont know why I went to go see this movie, I really dont. I must have been drinking a little or something, but I saw it and I was very confused. It was depressing, but mostly confusing. I didn't really see the point of this movie, and probably never will (and yes I have read the book, still doesn't help).
Kid, 10 years old December 16, 2009

A good movie

I would rate this on for age 2, but kids under age five would feel sorry for Max that he ran away from home.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bytch December 13, 2009

Life stinks, and friends are mean:

Poor Max - he's tormented by his homelife then escapes only to be tormented by monsters who can eat him up if he doesn't think quick. I'm 43 and still can't actually say what the message is...is it behave or be eaten? Or is it, life just stinks so deal with it? I'll never know. My 10 year old was mortified by a character having his arm ripped off and saw dust "squirting" out. It was violencwe for the sake of violence and the threat of violence kept us both on edge. It was a horroble, though artsy movie.
Parent of a 2, 7, and 9 year old Written byfitzwalsh December 12, 2009

Beautiful But Sad

Beautifully made movie, with a very authentic feel. The monsters didn't scare my kids, but we all left the movie very sad. We talked it through, but I left wondering why it had to be soooo sad.
Kid, 7 years old December 12, 2009

I like the fantsy movie.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byluckygemini December 5, 2009

Depends on your families taste. Probably best over 12.

I liked this movie. This is a great site to help choose movies for your kids. Here's a suggestion: check out the reviews here BEFORE you take your kids to the movies. The information is available to you. Why complain after you've taken them that it wasn't appropriate?
Kid, 10 years old November 30, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are. I was fooled by the trailers.

When u saw the things i clicked, u must have been blown away. Dont get the wrong idea. I have to admit though, those friendly trailers totally contrast to what the movie is really like. Its definitely full of anger and sadness, i kinda felt a little tense in the theater. Pretty darn violent, theres a scene with a dirt clod fight where a wild thing gets nailed in the side. Also that guy u see in the previews who looks all friendly, well ya know, hes really violent. He actually rips someones arm right off. The mom has a guy over for dinner, and they kiss and stuff, and the boy misses his dad. Then the boy gets all angry, and the mom says the D word in frustration toward the boy. Theres a nice happy scene in the end where the mom and the boy mend things and everyones happy and all, but there was a little too much anger and sadness for me. Ok then that's that!
Parent of a 13, 15, and 16 year old Written bydemondonkey25 November 30, 2009

9 seems very high

unless you are a wuss you will love this movie
Parent of a 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byLuckymoonshadow November 29, 2009

Not for under 6 - my 4 year old had nightmares

My 4 year old was scared... I thought the monsters had too many adult issues... what was with the owl? Very weird movie....
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2009

I haven't seen the movie, but it looks wierd.
Kid, 8 years old November 28, 2009

Some violence including mudball fights (where a charecter gets hit with a mudball right in the eye) and Max gets crushed in an igloo,but thats pretty much it.There is one scene with what seems to be Max's mother's boyfriend, and mother kissing. Bye.