All member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Sometimes-dark adaptation focuses on friendship, loneliness.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymngirl August 30, 2010

Zero Stars- Don't Even LOOK At It!

Went to see it on my birthday. Worst. Movie. Ever. By far. It was pointless. The book was better. But, the worst movie by far! It was so bad that I wanted to throw up, bury myself in a hole and die. Can you PLEASE let me rate it zero stars. Believe me, I would! It's like a black hole! I wasted my life. Its so depressing and just plain horrible! Don't take kids to see it, don't even LOOK at it, don't rent, buy it, nothing!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byYlonen Fam October 23, 2009

I took my 8 yr old step-son to this movie for his birthday. We had been reading about it and knew that it wasn't really a "kids" movie but we still wanted to see what it was about. I personally loved it, with a 8 yr old that has been through many issues with his mother and some anger problems this move was perfect! It showed him that he was not alone when he felt certain ways. I also loved the way that dialogue was meant for kids, it helped him to get into it more. I think this is a great movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybpixie December 22, 2010

DISTURBING

I went and watched it with my four year old brother and dad, and I CRIED. It was an amazing movie, I have to say, but very, very violent and disturbing. I had nightmares. First of all, the opening scenes made me tear up a little bit. Max is making a snowfort and her sister and her friends (some boys) come over and the guys start tearing it apart, and they jump on top of him, causing him to cry and his lip to bleed. Then, they just leave. The mother swears at him later and is emotionally abusive to him, which was horrible. He then runs away and finds a little boat and goes through the ocean to get to a tiny island, where he finds the "Wild Things". In short form, they have fun together, but there are some extremely disturbing and scenes. They can also be very gruesome, such as when someone's arm is torn off, and also one of the characters goes on a rant and tears after Max, proclaiming he's going to eat him, so another character hides Max in her sticky, gooey, dark MOUTH. Ew. Horrible messages throughout the movie except at the end when Max comes home and the family bonds (sort of). All in all, it's a fantastic movie, very well put together, but NOT AT ALL like the popular's children's book. Not for anyone under ten, and even that's pushing it. Gruesome, disturbing, violent, but in the end ... amazing. :)
Adult Written byBookMomToo April 16, 2010

BEST MOVIE of the decade!!!

My children all loved the book, and grew up listening to all of Maurice Sendak's books over and over upon request. I am not usually one to go to the movies, my forte is reading. My oldest son saw the movie, he is a sophmore in college, and told me I needed to see it. He confided that he cried. It has taken me months and months to getting around to finally seeing it, and I can't begin to say enough WONDERFUL things about it!!! What I don't understand is the gloom and doom reviews it was given with so much talk about how scary it was. Personally I think it was incredibly thought provoking and insightful in portraying childhood in all its glory. I would have no problem showing it to any child five and up as it was not Hollywood violent and the subject matter, language, and visuals are all appropriate.
Adult Written byredsxfenway January 31, 2010

Should remain unseen

**** Mild spoilers ahead**** This was one of my favorite books as a child and one of my least favorite movies as college student. To those who know Jonze, it's not surprise the way the film ended up. It's angst-ridden and filled with light easy-listening indie pop music. I'm not one for nostalgia but this film utterly failed to capture the spirit of the book. It seems like Maurice Sendak, who was involved in the making of the film, forgot what he wrote more than 35 years ago. The book had a story of adventure and freedom, while the film is overly-dramatic, filled with almost constant sadness. There's nothing wrong with a film departing from the book its based on, but this film is a poor one even in a vacuum. The constant sorrow in the film takes away from what could be a very touching scene of Max leaving the island. Because the characters are so sad throughout the film, there's no real change in emotion in the final scene. Jonze puts the monsters in constant conflict with each other, back and forth between love and hate and it gets tiresome very quickly. However it is incredibly beautiful and the animation/puppetry is stunning. Children will likely be frightened by the violent interactions and probably turned off by the slow pace and dialogue that will likely be over their heads.
Adult Written byCSMomBB October 23, 2009

I don't understand all the negative reaction to this movie. It is a good movie--even though it is not the typical shiny, happy movie for kids--we have enough of those. I've seen many comments on what a violent movie it was. There was only one iffy scene (the arm scene). I thought the interaction between the characters was wonderful. The movie didn't wrap everything up in a nice tidy package at the end either. It made you think. And, different people can have different ideas of what the movie meant to them. I enjoyed taking my kids to a movie that made them question and think about things afterwards. While I wouldn't say that my 9 & 12 year old kids loved it, they did say that they liked it and thought it was different. And, I think different is a good thing.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byThe Tim K October 21, 2009

Lazy and uninvolved parents leave your kids at home; the good parents take their kids

This movie is not for lazy parents. Uninvolved parents should leave their kids home. You are dead wrong if you think you can take your children to this movie without talking with them before, maybe during, and definitely after. The messages around lonliness are very powerful. The messages are around family, love, caring about others...it's really about Emotional Intelligence. And these messages are very complex, intimate, moving, and nuanced. The cinematography is intense and the directing is just odd enough to shake up the "normal" way that movies try to show personal connections. There is real value in this movie. You can teach your children to develop their own values with this movie. Just do it actively. If you're lazy with your kids, then don't take them until they're 16.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjason913 October 18, 2009

Not for kids, but still a great film!

This is not a kids film. I just want to get that misconception off your mind right now. Anyway, this is a very good film for several reasons. One, it doesn't treat you like a little kid and spoon feed you corporate approved morals. All the characters have flaws and are not shown as role models. All the wild things are essentialy different facets of anyone's personality, making the film very transcendent. Also, it doesn't beat you over the head with obnoxious slapstick like most of today's tripe. It leaves room for lots of--gasp!--dramatic moments! So anyway, even though it isn't for kids under 10, anyone over 10 who knows that not every movie is happy times and gumdrops will be satisfied, at least.
Kid, 10 years old December 6, 2010

boring, dark, and the worst movie ever

I really HATE this movie. Don't buy it, Don't rent it, Don't think about buying it, and worst of all, Don't even LOOK at it.
Kid, 7 years old July 10, 2010
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2010

For children 9 and up but who understand symbolic and emotional elements.

This movie is really good, but if you are ready for crying and sobbing, don't see it. It's a rather dark children's movie and most of the elements children 8 and under might not understand. Symbolic elements include Carol, who, in my interpretation, is Max's symbol of fear and redemption, KW is the theme of warmth and love, the owls are wisdom, the bull dude is shyness, the goat man is anti-war or peace, and the two "lover" (not really) wild things are sadness, which is the girl, and confusion, the boy wild thing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAtlanticSkies May 8, 2010

Too Wild

I like the mosnters, they're sweet, but at the beginning of the movie Max was beating up a dog, and he was just crazy! My brothers are wired now with ideas of torturing me! Actually, the movie is playing right now, but I left cuz It was horrible. I don't mind some crazy, but this is off the wall, and they keep distroying things. . .
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2010

This is not a good movie at all

I hated this movie. It was very upsetting and the role models are really bad. That kid seriously needs to control himself and he serious needs a huge time out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLittle movie freak December 20, 2009

The Best film of 2009!

This is the best movie of the year by far since "The Blind Side"! "Where The Wild Things Are is a darker sometimes scarier and a sad experience.This movie has some intense situations that include Carol (the main Wild Thing in the group)having bad behavior and lots intense fights such as dirt clod war and a scene where Carol and Douglas have an (upsetting to younger kids)intense fight Spoiler Alert: where Carol breaks Douglas's favorite arm (sort of funny to look at) and has a stick to replace it. There is brief language that include the d and the h word.Insults are used pretty strongly (especially used in fights)that include stupid and God.This movie is also played in Imax theaters too and if you see it there it will be more intense and upsetting for kids 9 and under.There are also some adult parts younger kids won't understand. This movie is a the BEST movie of the 2009 year by far. U need 2 C this movie ASAP(as soon as possible.)It's movie I loved and that I gave an A . It's something that adults will LOVE and cry at and a movie that (older kids 10 + )will probably enjoy too, but will not enjoy it as much as I did. 5 stars. An A !
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheeserules October 16, 2009

This is an amazing movie. It's leagues better than the garbage they churn out for kid's movies these days. You know why? This isn't a kid's movie, at least in the normal sense. It's appropriate for kids...there are some tense moments for younger kids...but older kids and adults will get way more out of it. It's emotional, dark, moody, and incredibly heartfelt. This isn't a movie that shies away from difficult themes, so if you want your kid to grow up sheltered from the big, bad world and believe that life is all happy and perfect, avoid this film. Otherwise, see it!!
Kid, 12 years old February 28, 2015

Unique and wonderful

As a 12 year old, I think this movie is absolutely stunning and perfectly fine for kids. Its very different and a bit confusing at times and can be interpreted in different ways. I personally liked it because it can really make you think about things in a different way. Highly recommended.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life October 4, 2014

My Review on "Were the Wild Things Are"!

Parents must know that even though the movie is rated "PG for mild thematic elements", the themes in this movie are in no way mild. It has themes of loneliness, your parent getting a new partner, running away from home, and bullying. This is a dark, depressing, and at times disturbing adaption of the book. But it shows what the book actually meant. The mature themes in the movie were also hidden in the book. Max has 2 very intense breakdowns, one of which he decides to run away. The wild things are have some violent games, one of which, carol rips the goats arm off. Max crawls in carols stomach. There are some very good messages in this movie. I love it because its way way WAY different than most family films out there. It has that dark tone that I love. This movie is more of a hard PG/mild PG13. The reasons i gave it 12+ is because kids may find it boring and slow moving, and also, its almost as poignant as TFIOS. I myself love it, but thats me. Second best movie of 2009. Love it. Oh yeah P.S. Parents, be prepared for a dark, depressing, often poignant adaption of a book that your 4 yo likes to read. Suggested MPAA Rating: PG13 - for action/violence and some thematic material
Teen, 15 years old Written bybjf15 June 9, 2014

I saw this a couple of years back and it is just the worst. A boy leaves his family and joins this group of monsters. I was bored, weirded out, and completely not interested. Only good part was the ending.

Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2014

okay

hard, sad movie, for teens
Kid, 9 years old March 3, 2014

This adaption of Maurice Sendak's book is wonderful!

Director Spike Jonze is at his best with this adaption of Maurice Sendak's Where The Wild Things Are. What makes this film iffy for kids is that there is a brief scene of people kissing and drinking wine, and the violence is the settings, and what the wild things do. There are some mature themes, but only the most mature kids will be able to handle them.