All member reviews for Whip It

Roller derby dramedy mixes girl power and teen angst.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBriiJo February 22, 2011

i liked this move and thats all thats i'm guuna say lol
Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2011

A Very Good Movie!!!

I thought that Whip It was a very good movie, but there was one part that my mom had to fast foward through. But it was funny, but it made me sad that i can only wobble on roller skates.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhoneybee123 February 28, 2011

the movie is really good it shows a message sayin that do not go behind your parents back and do what to do.
Teen, 13 years old Written byevypeeps October 24, 2012

great movie

I saw this movie at a sleepover with some of my girl friends, and I love it! For some reason, EVERYONE in the movie wears mainly pink and green. Anyone else notice that? I would say parents should be careful with this movie, and watch it before they show it to there kids. Other than that, great movie with good messages.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 11, 2012

Do what you love!

Whip it is about choosing your dream and making it happen. I really liked it. It had some funny moments and I adored Ellen Pages' character Bliss. She is fun, likable and dedicated to what she wants most. With a mother who forces her into beauty pageants, Bliss wants more than that. She appears to be more on the tom-boy side and would rather join Roller Derby than anything else - even if she has to lie her way into it. Really great cast - Director of the film Drew Barrymore was a blast...always funny. Iffy for young tweens, I'd recommend a 14 and older crowd as there is a good amount of violence (girl fights), sexual content and discussions/jokes, underage drinking. Also some language but nothing over the top. A great popcorn movie!
Teen, 17 years old Written bysmileygirl1996 February 14, 2012

Favourite movie in the whole world!

I love this movie. I watched it at the cinema, before I even knew what roller derby was. I just wanted to be her. A few months ago I found a roller derby league in my area and have fallen in love with the sport. It really inspires teenage girls to just be who you want to be, don't care what other people think of you. My favourite movie in the whole world!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynoodle.smiles February 7, 2012

a great movie

i think this movie is a great funny movie for older kids and their parents.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAlinaW. October 20, 2011

Awesomesauce

This is such an awesome movie, especially for the fact that it celebrates ALL girls.... The pagent princesses are just as respected as the tough roller derby chicks. I loved this movie because it went with my new fav activity at the time, roller derby while giving an honest look at actual teen life. I loved Drew Barrymore's take on the book, and her acting in the actual movie was hilarious. Watch it with your teen girls (and boys!), and I pretty much gurentee they'll love it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bylove.battle.ship March 1, 2011

14 and up should be able to read no younger!

It's a great story but lying and the backstabbing isn't a good message..
Teen, 13 years old Written byHWADOB February 19, 2011

Beautiful, but rough movie. Used to be my favorite until Sherlock Holmes came around. Sure, it may seem a little violent (which it is), sexually inappropriate (to some extent, it is) and full of swearing (too true). But there are some positive messages in there too.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRipley183 February 14, 2011

I LOVED this movie soooo much but there is a lot of bad language that many kids younger than twelve shouldn't be used or even known
Parent Written byhankdogg February 13, 2011

Great movie and really gives young women other media portrayed roles other than the mainstream.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylolakitty12 February 12, 2011

Good intentions

LOVE THIS MOVIE! saw it with my friends and their was a little iffiness but has good intentions...
Kid, 12 years old February 8, 2011

Perfect for Tweens!!

This is a really great mother daughter movie that gives a positive message. There are some brief scenes with violence, but this is about roller derby after all. There is some language, and underage drinking. Drew Barrymore does a really great job. The message that this message sends is basically to not give up your dreams, hopes. and something you love. I first saw this movie when I was 11 with my mom and my friend with her mom and it was really great. There were no moments when the moms gasped and looked at us as if to say "this is not appropriate for you." I definitely reccomend this movie for people 11 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySACYUC February 7, 2011

PRETTY GOOD

Pretty good, but some parts are boring.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycaseylovesyouh February 6, 2011

its 13 and up mostly

Loved it, but I do think you should be 13 to watch it cuz its got alittle bit of stuff in it some kids can watch enless the have seen worse movies then ... why not? theyll learn about this stuff soon enough why not now its not the biggest deal of things you would care about. so great movie, nice message.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygigglepie11 February 6, 2011

Okay

I think that this movie is a okay movie. It would be a good movie to watch if you had nothing better to do.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEricCarrRulez January 12, 2011

I liked this movie because of the whole story.Overall great movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byrachel4missions November 28, 2010

Pleasantly Surprised!

I had no idea what to expect, but I liked it a lot. I think a mature teenager (especially one in public school) would be able to handle everything the movie threw at them. No graphic sex, minimal if any blood, and language that is probably no worse than what the kids see written on the bathroom stalls. The main character lies to her parents, but faces the consequences. Her friend drinks (Bliss doesn't) and gets arrested for it. Bliss gives her virginity to a guy she thinks she knows and loves, and he cheats on her and doesn't call her afterwards. All very realistic things teens do, and all very realistic consequences. We were a little embarrassed by some of the sexual content, but there was nothing graphic, and it was mostly because it was unexpected. It wasn't a stereotypical sports film, and I absolutely loved that. There were several pleasant surprises that kept me pulled into the movie. It felt... realistic in a good way, much like Juno. I think a world-savvy teen will be fine watching it, and my aunt swears it was perfectly appropriate to her two young girls, who probably were too young to get most of the jokes and drug scenes. Great movie.
Kid, 11 years old November 16, 2010

Keeping a spot for the more mature kids

Kept me and my nine-year-old sister entertained. I can see that she doesn't take the references to consumption as a good thing, and we are able to talk about what we would and would not do. Perfect! Shows you not to be afraid to achieve what you want.