Magic-filled fantasy adventure with a few battle scenes.

Teen, 17 years old Written byjohnthemon February 25, 2011

Not for 8 year olds, common sense media is inconsistent

They gave Empire Strikes Back an 11+ but this one an 8+? This is way darker/scarier/more violent/more sexual than Empire. Saw this at age 12 and it still was pretty freaky. Good movie, but dayum, not for an 8 year old. The evil queen wants to SACRIFICE A BABY ON AN ALTAR! Lots of people die, in violent ways, and many scary scenes. That said, very good movie, just not for little kids
Adult Written bykillda April 9, 2008

A good movie

It was a good movie
Kid, 10 years old January 30, 2011

a family movie has some violence and language ages 10 and up

this 1988 family classic has some language and violence plus safety is sometimes a issue but there is good role models thats why the whole family and schools should watch this movie.
Adult Written bywonder dove October 16, 2013

A Classic for families!

Wonderful movie! I watched it with my family growing up and it's always been a favorite. It's about a kind dwarf named Willow (Warwick Davis) who is a natural sorcerer. His two adorable children find a beautiful baby in a nest that had stopped at their river side. But they realize the baby is not a dwarf, she is a Daikini (regular person) who is actually a princess that was secretly rescued by a woman after hearing the poor thing would be sacrificed by an evil queen. The community will not allow her to stay because they are afraid. Willow is demanded to take her back where "big people" live. Along the way he meets a rough hooligan named Madmartigan (Val Kilmer) who is caged but makes a deal with Willow that if he helps him escape, he will help Willow bring the baby to safety. After Willow finally trusts Madmartigan, they begin their journey and run into all kinds of interesting characters. Along the way, they are chased by the evil queens daughter Sorsha and her army to steal the baby back, but she meets Madmartigan and you can tell she's instantly attracted. Soon after, her true personality comes forward and she eventually turns good. When a scary ritual takes place towards the end & Willow saves the day, Madmartigan and Sorsha take off together with baby Elora. Language is mild but has "hell" a couple of times and "jack@ss". Violence is average (frightening for young ones) and contains a group of wolf-like beasts who viciously attack a woman that saved the baby - the camera moves away during it. More beasts terrorize a village. Lots of sword fights and battles, punching and lots of arguing. Many creatures throughout including a two-headed dragon that eats a horseman. The evil queen turns people into pigs and you see the graphic transformation - scary for some people! A ritual begins to take place with baby Elora on a table before Willow rescues her. A horse-buggy chase scene. Many frightening and action-packed sequences. Sexual content will fly over kids heads and is mild, including Madmartigan dressing up as a woman and a man grabs his boob and says "wanna breed?", Madmartigan is under a love spell at one point and tells Sorsha how much he loves her - later when the potion wears off, he sneaks into her tent to steal the baby and Sorsha takes her knife and says "take one more step and you will be a woman", some kissing. There is mild drinking at pubs, one character falls into a bucket of alcohol and yells "beer" and dives back in. All-in-all; great, funny & heartfelt movie for families ages 10 and up.
Parent Written byProfessorDolan June 23, 2012

Safe family viewing except for one scene

In one scene, a woman's husband grabs what he thinks is the breast of his wife's sister. That it's really a melon, not a breast, and a man, not the wife's sister, mitigates the offense slightly. Still, it's a blemish on an otherwise safe movie. The husband--apparently as inclined to adultery as his wife--also invites his "sister-in-law" to mate with him.
Parent Written bymomtimesfive April 30, 2015

Not for sensitive viewers

I have fond memories of this movie from my youth and thought it would be a great choice for my son's birthday party. His younger sister was watching with us, and I forgot that the opening scene explains that the witch is trying to kill the baby girls to escape the prophecy of the one who will become queen. So a mother delivers a newborn and promptly asks the midwife to sneak the baby out to safety. It is implied that the mother is then killed as guards enter the room and the midwife is chased through the forest by big snarling wolves. My daughter was freaked out! (Didn't help that I was pregnant at the time, either.) I also recall the end of the movie when the baby is laying on a altar crying (and it is raining) and the witch is trying to cast a spell or something. Ultimately the baby is saved but there are some frightening moments there and some spells and sorcery throughout. What I loved about the movie was the comedy and the fun chase scenes. And the element of romance between the 2 enemies. If you have kids who like adventures and take the perilous stuff in stride I think it is a great movie. If you have kids who "feel" the danger then I would avoid it until they are older.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhomealonefan123 December 18, 2011

if your family loves adventure. this is a film for the entire family

this movie is good but some bad messeges. perfect family film.
Parent of a 4 and 11 year old Written byKonataReviewer April 6, 2010

A family favorite

This great movie shows that all people are equal....no matter who or what size..( in this case...Willow.) Willow is extremely generous....and tolerates much...knowing that second chances are the greatest road to achievement.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bykconrad January 13, 2016

not as good as I remembered....

I'd seen this before--when both I and digital effects were younger--and it really doesn't age well. Pros: well-developed characters for little people; decent acting by Kilmer and Davis (and the baby). Cons: horrible dialogue; fairly wooden acting other than the two male leads and the baby; annoying "brownie" characters; very dated, poor special effects; truly inappropriate scene where Mad Martigan is trying to escape a married woman's room and her husband harasses and wants to "mate" (his word) with him; long, drawn out occult ritual scene; pretty lame plot with lots of holes.
Educator and Parent Written byPiney Woods January 9, 2016

Boring +uncalled for sexy stuff+weirdo occult ritual stuff=just watch Lord of the Rings or some Studio Ghibli again

I saw this in the theaters when it came out; that's been a few years so I'd mostly forgotten what it was about. After we saw Warwick Davis in Prince Caspian, this movie came to mind, so we checked the reviews here and rented it. Strike one: banal dialogue and awkward pacing. Strike two: when Val Kilmer is in drag trying to hide from a cuckolded husband, the husband squeezes his "breast" and asks if he "wants to breed." Strike three: the long, long slog through the "ritual" the evil queen performs to neutralize the baby's power, or kill the baby, or make Orcs--I don't know because we finally abandoned ship after the "good guys" stormed the castle. It is somehow both disturbing (in that it looks like a Satanic ritual) and mind-numbingly dull. We all, including our child, are fans of many slow-paced films (Studio Ghibli, though Howl's Moving Castle was slow for them, and pointless to boot), but this bored us all. My only regret is watching as far as we did. My advice is to pass and watch "My Neighbor Totoro" for the younger kids or the Lord of the Rings trilogy for older kids who can handle the scary Orc stuff.
Parent Written bypersnip July 30, 2011

Kid's decision is split

My 10 year old liked it, my 7 year old didn't. Lots of sword fights, some PG kissing, scary monster.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 5, 2010

Laughable, hard not to like

My Video Production teacher actually showed us this film to show how many MISTAKES we're in this movie, and once she pointed them out it was hard to watch without making a mockery out of everything, the awful acting at the top of the list. But it's a Ron Howard film, I like that dude, and the little Willow dude is so hard to hate. The special effects aren't bad, either, some, SOME might call them groundbreaking, but probably not me.
Parent of an infant year old Written byChristianKight January 18, 2009
Kid, 8 years old January 13, 2011
Quite a few scary scenes, there is blood and kissing but the movie is really exciting. Though in one part of the movie there are some people drinking alcohol.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bymaxine resnck April 11, 2009

Scarier than I thought.

Willow. The movie Willow starts out nice, but it gets scarier and scarier. But if you like action, you should watch the movie, Willow.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Fantasy for all

This is one classic kids fantasy I grew up with and absolutely adore. Fun, funny and downright enjoyable. Great acting by Val Kilmer.
Parent Written byForrmaty June 11, 2016

Pretty brutal and gross!

We love fantasy movies but this one was pointless with brutal battle scenes and an extremely gross transformation of a troll into huge lump of raw meat that grows two heads becomes a fire breathing dragon that eats people, gets stabbed thru the head and then explodes...stupid movie not sure how it got such high ratings
Parent Written byBDABoss March 30, 2016

Not for 8 year olds

Both of my girls (8 & 9) just finished watching this movie and both said it was too violent and creepy. They've seen all of Harry Potter movies and they understood the context and intent. They were both quite shocked with certain scenes and it was quite violent. Pretty sure they won't want to watch this again. And I don't think I will entertain it either.