Parent reviews for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Pure, sweet imagination for both kids and adults.

Adult Written byXaxton Revolution February 8, 2019

Disturbing and Traumatizing for children under 13.

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" shows a disturbing scene in which a boat is going through a tunnel and violent images are shown on the sides. Another scene shows a girls belly inflating until she is almost spherical as several men sing creepily as they roll her through the room as if they are mocking her. The character of Willy Wonka has the persona of a child predator. This movie should be rated PG or PG13.

Adult Written byLady Marmalade October 31, 2009

A real winner

Although; the plot deviates from the book towards the end- which my daughter (17) didn't like; and there was scene with a boat ride that was much too scay for my son(5), overall the movie was very enjoyable. It's one of the only ones we can watch together as a family.

Adult Written byGlenica Smith May 19, 2020

Willy Wonka is everything I look for in a man

Willy Wonka is the whole package! He's smart, cool, and extremely good looking. His oompa loompas are very kind and I'm sure they would let me the visit the chocolate factory. Here I come Willy!

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Sacry stuff here

I'll be honest - I HATE this movie! It scared me to death as a kid and still creeps me out. Willy Wonka is weird. The kids on the tour are HORRIBLE. It'll never be shown in my house.
Adult Written bySbiggs41 September 3, 2020

Scary

Super freaky. Everything about this movie not only scared my kids, but freaked me out as well!
Adult Written byanon.anon July 4, 2020

Scared my 6yo..

The film is weird from the start, but it's fun with sing alongs.
We watched it after reading the book to see how they make a book into a film.

The tunnel ride has image of a lizard and a chicken getting it's head chopped off. My son just screamed.

Fun film where brats get their comeuppance, but better for older kids.

Adult Written byexpresstan June 23, 2020

Adult Written byLeah S. May 22, 2020

Creepy, but the plot is good.

I don’t like this movie, although my daughter does. Willy Wonka creeps me out and practically murders the children, I swear he has some sort of underlying mental disorder. The plot is nice, but like I said it’s creepy.
Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written byMatt G. April 26, 2020
Adult Written byRonjasMom October 1, 2019

Liked it

This was my favorite movie as a child. Having seen it more recently, I am deducting a star for "Cheer Up Charlie." Also, I don't think my own seven year old would give it more than four stars, though she enjoyed it. (She loves and prefers the book.)

I'm off to check and see if the child actor who played Veruca went on to have a further career. She's fantastic.

As a child, I was scared of Mr. Slugworth. My daughter wasn't.

I'm not crazy about the fat shaming, but I opted not to deduct points for that because it is otherwise such a great film.

Yes, you read that right. I let the fat shaming slide and deducted a star for "Cheer Up Charlie." Well, it's not a three-star movie, is it? Veruca Salt stands guard over all four remaining stars.
Parent of a 7, 9, and 14-year-old Written byshimmer1 September 16, 2019

A Candy Classic Like No Other

Excellent film! Really brings the idea of a candy factory to life by drawing on every childhood dream! The overall story tells kids that too much of anything is not a good thing but that things are good in moderation. It also tells that good things can happen to good people, which is always a great message. There is one section that may be a bit scary for younger viewers - when the contest winners go into the Wonder Boat and it heads into a dark tunnel. However, as long as the little ones are prepared for it, they should be a-ok. Love the colors, the music and the acting! Gene Wilder is the best, and plays the Willy Wonka I imagined when I read the book!

Parent Written byRoberto I. April 1, 2018

Strange film

This movie is freaky, disturbing, and has some bad imagery. The movie is good, but Willy Wonka murders the kids. But don't tell the kids that!

Parent Written byRay R. January 27, 2018

Fun, but scarier than I remembered

Watched with my 5- and 8-year olds. I forgot how tense the tunnel scene is and has some icky images--worms on someone's face and a chicken's head getting cut off. But, the part that really scared my kid was the end scene where Wonka yells at Charlie. Both my boys are pretty sensitive, but the 8-year-old thought it was all fun.
Parent of a 10, 12, and 15-year-old Written byHendo H. U December 27, 2017

Adult Written byTheChristianReviewer June 13, 2017

Really trippy...

*Christian review*

Never liked this as a kid or now. It is disturbing. Don't remember violence but is what I'd call "an acid trip". It is spooky and has a disturbing boat road scene (graphic stuff here!). It is so odd. (Heard it was improvised). Psychedelic or just plain weird story.
Willy Wonka seems to have some sort of mental illness I have gathered.....ending is insane. Kids are treated for misbehaviour violently..like blowing up or being tossed as far as I can remember
My mother also hated it as it came out during her younger days.
One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Book is better I have heard.

Adult Written byLuka Keats 100 January 12, 2016

An Excellent Movie! Delicious and Entertaining!

This Movie is absolutely wonderful! One of my all time favorites. This movie does have some differences from the book but I think it's good how there are some differences. The Movie gives a great message and Charlie is a Excellent Role Model for Children. The other 4 Children who visit the Factory are NOT good role models. I first saw this film when I was 3 and I enjoyed it but was confused and didn't get it since I was only 3. I saw it again when I was 7 and enjoyed it and since I was 8 I have loved this film so so much! Who in the world dosen't like this Film. There are some things I don't like about the original cut of the film. I've made my own cut/version of the film and it's been cut down to 91 mins. Every time I see the film I think it gets better and better but to be honest it couldn't be better enough since it's just a wonderful Film. Families should enjoy this Film. It has good actors and it will last forever!

Adult Written byLady lc December 28, 2015
I believe Johnny Depp needs to re-make Charlie and the chocolate factory ASAP it would be worth it...

Adult Written bylouisa1 February 20, 2015

heartwarming but sometime scary roald dahl adaptation is great to entertain the whole family!

This fun for the whole family adventure, follows charlie a poor boy, that finds a golden ticket in a chocalate bar he buys and goes to visit the chocalate factory. there is close to no violence in this movie but there is some scary stuff that may scare children under six, including a boat scene where there is a lot of scary and disturbing imagery, (including a scene where we see a chicken getting there head chopped off!) And more, plus severel of the main child characters have bad things happen to them that may seem fatal at the beginning, but by the end we realise that they do survive. all in all willy wonka and the chocolate factory is a great tale for the family with positive characters and messages.

Parent Written byMom in Atlanta December 6, 2014

Great movie, safe movie

Watched this with my 7 and 9 year old boys. They were so enthralled with the movie they didn't even want to do our normal "pause" half-way through to make popcorn. I love finding movies with a clear understanding about who is good and who is bad. Nothing grey here at all. The boy is who is good, kind, caring, and honest wins in the end. The whole boat scene was weird in a psychedelic 70's kind of way. I'm guessing it was supposed to have some deeper meaning? Didn't bother my younger son who is normally the scardy-cat of the two. Great and refreshingly clean movie for a fun family movie night.

Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 9, 2014

I Still Watch This Kids Movie Despite the Fact I am Grown

I watched this as a small child, I don't ever remember not knowing this movie, I was always fascinated by it, it was beautiful, creative and captivated my mind. It had songs, it was visual and the story was good for a child to watch. Some people may say kids would get scared during the tunnel scene, but that has always been my favourite scene of the movie because it was just so stimulating. Gene Wilder is a fantastic actor and he was very nice in this movie, and this is the best adaptation they have done to the scene of Willy Wonka and I know in my mind it always will be.