All member reviews for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

spectacular !

great(and somtimes strage)movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Eh...

I don't know why Willy Wonka is considered a 'classic.' It is boring at times, not all that funny, and Willy Wonka himself comes across as a bit sadistic. There are people who compare this to Wizard of Oz, which was a far better classic. Overrated. Good for kids: 6+
Kid, 12 years old November 24, 2013

BEWARE OF BOAT RIDE SCENE

The movie's purpose is to not be greedy, braggy, spoiled, and addicted to tv. This is clearly noted throughout the movie. I would put three, but for the Creepy boat scene. After the candy room scene, they all get on a boat. The ride is dark. Creepy images appear, like worms on dead bodies, and Willy Wonka tells a frighting story. I watched it recently. I'm twelve and even I admit that scene was terrifying. Bravo even ranked the scene as a Top 100 scariest movie scene ever next to Rated-R horror films! I recommend looking up the scene on YouTube to make sure your kids can handle it. If they can't, it's the only scary part (besides the Oompa Loompas for me) so you can skip it and watch the rest of the film worry free.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 25, 2010

Does It Get Much Better Than This?

This is one of my favorite stories of all time. I think my favorite song ever is probably "Pure Imagination," which is from this movie. Gene Wilder does an astounding performance as Willy Wonka. He's much better than Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka in my opinion. Absolute must-see.
Kid, 8 years old August 12, 2010

I love the movie but i don't like the tunnel scene .
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoctor11 September 16, 2013

A little disturbing for the little ones

this is a pretty good movie. very fun and will wonka was my fave character. the only part that kind of disturbed me as a young child was the boat ride in the tunnle. the reason being that (1) Willy Wonka is just so pleasant and jolly all the time that when he turns all dark and unemotional and starts yelling that is a tiny bit disturbing. (2.) in the background of the tunnle there are slightly disturbing videos on the wall of bugs like spiders and centipedes. some of them crawling on people. As a 4-5 year old this disturbed me. if your kid is more sensitive i would say dont watch untill 6 or 7. if they are as much u could let them watch a little earlier. there are some perilous parts such as when agustus gloop was sucked into the chocolate tube thing and u have no idea about waht happend to him. not knowing if the kids are ok might scare some little little ones. personaly i was ok with it.
Kid, 9 years old July 2, 2013

boat ride is so DISTURBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everytime i mean EVERYTIME THE BOAT RIDE COMES, I ALWAYS CLOSE MY EYES. there disturbing, like a bug,a snake,a foot! its so DISTURBING!!!!!! its not good for people under 7.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter November 23, 2011

Oompa Loompa

I grew up watching this movie. I watched it for the first time in several years the other day and realized how much I had loved it when I was younger. None the less, I found a few things that actually managed to freak me out; The boat ride, for example. I mean. . . seriously? That's freaking scary! Wonka does seem rather sadistic at times, now that I think about it, but Gene Wilder was amazing in the role. I adore the way he played Wonka. A few perilous moments are in there, but everyone makes it out alive eventually. Those who misbehave get what they deserve, and Charlie is rewarded for being a good kid. I absolutely LOVE Grandpa Joe. He always manages to be my favorite character (next to Wonka) in every version of the film I've seen. ♥ This is a MUST-SEE film; A wonderful classic! The Oopma Loopa song is stuck in my head for eternity now, though. Ugh. . . >.<
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 October 15, 2011

BAD

If you've read the book you will understand the new movie is way more accurate.
Kid, 7 years old December 27, 2010

I admit it, it was just stupid!!! I hate when Augustus falls in the chocolate river and gets sucked up the tube it was so fast and scary and when I say scary I mean SCARY SCARY!!!!! I will never watch it again!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

WB IS EVIL!!!!

WB IS SO EVIL WHEN THEY MADE THIS MOVIE THAT IN THE BOAT RIDE, FIRST THEY SHOW GREEN SMOKE, THEN A WORM, THEN THEY SHOW A WORM GOING ACROSS A RESTING GUY'S MOUTH! THEN THEY SHOW THE GUY'S EYE IN HORROR, THEN THEY SHOW A CHICKEN BEING BEHEADED, AND OTHER SICK STUFF LIKE THAT! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! THE DIDN'T EVEN GET THE TITLE RIGHT. (the book is called CHARLIE and the Chocolate Factory)
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristopherGraham January 18, 2015

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" by Christopher Graham

I thought that this film was excellent and filled with sweet imagination that will entertain kids and adults of any age. The performances of the kids and the adults were very well-practiced and well-done, the direction was very imaginative, and the storyline was so colorful and fun to its purpose of the source material of the book. The performance of Willy Wonka by Gene Wilder was done perfectly, He presented a fun and mysterious Willy Wonka, he was good-spirited and good-natured, he looked just like a real Willy Wonka, and he even had a very great attitude towards the people around him. Overall, I thought that this film was very sweet and true to its source material and that it will entertain many people of any age. Kids and 8 year olds are meant to see this movie for its imagination and attitude towards the book. Adults can see this movie too as well. Any kid can see this movie for it is rated G for General Audiences with no problems at all.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

This is a great movie but the mildly frightening scenes make it only for kids 5 and older.

Let me just start off by saying that despite this movies g rating there is a scene about five minutes in where Charlie walks past a magazine vendor and there is a magazine with a fully naked women and it's not blurred. However kids will probably not notice it because I know I didn't when I was a little kid. I haven't seen it in a few years but that's what I heard on imdb. Not to mention the film also has a strange atmosphere which may be a little unsettling to some. Some of the frightening scenes include the mysterious professor slugworth who appears out of nowhere and tells Charlie to steal a everlasting gobstoper from donnas factory and there is some mild creppy music playing. But the most frightening scene in the movie is where they are on Mr wonkas boat and they start going towards a really dark tunnel and when they get inside creepy images appear on the walls which I won't spoil. Wonka then starts singing a really scary poem that gets more dark as it progresses. I didn't get scared at it when I was young but now it really gives me the creeps. This is a wonderful movie anyway however and should be seen by anybody 5 and up.
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2014

Willy Wonka

This was a very good classic that is fun for the whole family.
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2014

Classic

This is classic movie,but it has a scary boat ride and Charlie and his grandpa almost turn into smothes from a giant fan.
Kid, 7 years old June 12, 2014

Chocolate Story

It was a very good movie for children of all ages. There was a little violence when we don't know what happened to the kids, but other than that it was fun to watch!
Teen, 16 years old Written byAmandaS1230 September 8, 2013

Lovely movie!

Wonderful movie! It is so based on the book which movies now lack in! Lovely, lovely! It is a MUST WATCH! There is a positive message which is, honesty is always the key to succeeding. The little bit of drinking there is happens with the main character and his grandfather when they take sips from a bottle that they weren't supposed to drink from. Overall, wonderful!! (I was three when I watched this by the way....not at teenage age) (:
Teen, 15 years old Written byHaileyMarie July 14, 2013

'Willy Wonka' is Deliciously Enjoyable!

'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' is a really good movie with great songs, especially Pure Imagination and the Oompa Loompa song! A decent movie for all ages. However, there is one sort of creepy scene where Wonka takes the factory tour winners on a boat ride. Scary, disturbing images are flashed, like a beetle crawling across someone's face and a chicken getting it's head chopped off! A bit weird for such an otherwise perfectly kid friendly movie. If you're weary of having your kids watch this, just fast forward through the scene (it's only like 2 or 3 minutes long) and it's free sailing from there on. Charlie is a very positive role model and there is a very clear positive message to kids that is found out at the end of the movie. Towards consumerism, well, there's a lot. In some ways, the whole movie is a commercial for Wonka candy products. the chocolate bars are seen almost nonstop throughout the entire movie. And the Everlasting Gobstoppers make an appearance too. Ultimately, the movie is lots of fun and one kids will enjoy!
Teen, 16 years old Written bysillygoose77 April 14, 2013

Ahh.. The Classics!

Willy Wonka is one of the great underrated films. I never understand why people get so worked up about the tunnel scene. It's incredibly brief, and beyond that the movie's amazing. The first act drags a little, but the film quickly picks up when act 2 starts. Here's what I think: Educational Content: The only thing educational here is the fact that kids may want to read the book that inspired this. Positive Messages: the good guys are justly rewarded, the bad guys are justly punished, some other messages include the importance of faith, the need for honesty, the crazyness of competition, the sins of gluttony, greed, gum chewing, and constant TV watching, as well as appearances being deceiving. A majority of the lessons to be learned come directly from the Oompa-Loompas via a song Positive Role Models: Charlie is an awesome role model and loves his family, his life, and even his low-paying job delivering newspapers. His family, especially his spunky Grandpa Joe, are equally good role models. Willy Wonka may act like a freak, but a good side of him is revealed in him. The four contestants and their parents, however, are less than positive influences.One in particular is so greedy that upon her arrival in the factory, she demands anything she sees, which eventually causes her downfall(more on that later). One of Wonka's chief rivals tempts the contestants, but turns out to be something unexpected. Violence: A scene that's a deal-breaker for many parents is the imfamous tunnel scene. However, the 2nd act features several dark scenes throughout. Contestants are sucked through a pipe, transformed into a blueberry, fall into a garbage chute connected to a furnace, and are shrunk via television. One character resorts to violence to try and get her way. The tunnel scene is brief, but does contain scary images that kids over 7 can probably handle. Sexual Content: Not an issue Language: None, unless a brief use of "Bull!" counts Consumerism: One scene takes place in a room full of sweets, but no product names, beyond Wonka's, are shown. Alcohol: Wonka mixes some sort of drink in a brief scene, and mentions to someone "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" The best advice I can give to a family is just to keep your kids away from the tunnel scene until they're ready to handle it. Just please don't let it ruin what will otherwise be an enjoyable classic that generations have grown to love.
Teen, 16 years old Written bychynagirl123 March 6, 2013