All member reviews for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Pure, sweet imagination for both kids and adults.

Age

spectacular !

great(and somtimes strage)movie.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bysweets_JME April 11, 2010

A great classic for the family and WAY better than the newer Charlie & The Chocolate Factory!

I think it is a bit scary at parts for the preschool age, but not more than any other fairy tale. I don't allow my kids to use words like dumb, stupid, idiot, fat or other derogatory comments & this movie had a few, but the overall message outweighs any language concerns
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Sacry stuff here

I'll be honest - I HATE this movie! It scared me to death as a kid and still creeps me out. Willy Wonka is weird. The kids on the tour are HORRIBLE. It'll never be shown in my house.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Eh...

I don't know why Willy Wonka is considered a 'classic.' It is boring at times, not all that funny, and Willy Wonka himself comes across as a bit sadistic. There are people who compare this to Wizard of Oz, which was a far better classic. Overrated. Good for kids: 6+
Kid, 8 years old August 12, 2010

I love the movie but i don't like the tunnel scene .
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byadpace December 29, 2009

A great classic that kids today can enjoy, too

After I read the book to my kids, we rented the movie. I wanted to inspire them to listen to and read more books and I think watching the movie afterward is a great way to do that. My kids enjoyed it a lot. Of course, the movie is very dated and it's hard to believe we watched it back in our day thinking that they movie looked great. But that aside, it held my childrens' interest (ages 4 & 6) quite well. There is nothing negative (language, etc.) in it that isn't portrayed as negative in the movie. For example, while some of the children display gluttony, selfishness and rudeness, etc., they are all portrayed as negative character traits that you would want to avoid. The only problematic part of the movie for me was the boat ride. It's a little scary for young children, but skipping quickly through it should solve that problem. I allowed my children to watch it and while they seemed afraid during that part of the movie, they quickly forgot once it was over. Overall, I'd say this a great family movie - especially for slightly older children.
Kid, 12 years old November 24, 2013

BEWARE OF BOAT RIDE SCENE

The movie's purpose is to not be greedy, braggy, spoiled, and addicted to tv. This is clearly noted throughout the movie. I would put three, but for the Creepy boat scene. After the candy room scene, they all get on a boat. The ride is dark. Creepy images appear, like worms on dead bodies, and Willy Wonka tells a frighting story. I watched it recently. I'm twelve and even I admit that scene was terrifying. Bravo even ranked the scene as a Top 100 scariest movie scene ever next to Rated-R horror films! I recommend looking up the scene on YouTube to make sure your kids can handle it. If they can't, it's the only scary part (besides the Oompa Loompas for me) so you can skip it and watch the rest of the film worry free.
Parent Written byA critical thinker March 28, 2012

Creepy and brilliant

I think it requires abstract thinking and historical perspective to enjoy. I hadn't seen it since the 70's, and watched it to see if I could show it to my kids. Not till 8. Probably the little ones would be fine, it's not near as violent as Disney, but I doubt they'd enjoy it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 25, 2010

Does It Get Much Better Than This?

This is one of my favorite stories of all time. I think my favorite song ever is probably "Pure Imagination," which is from this movie. Gene Wilder does an astounding performance as Willy Wonka. He's much better than Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka in my opinion. Absolute must-see.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoctor11 September 16, 2013

A little disturbing for the little ones

this is a pretty good movie. very fun and will wonka was my fave character. the only part that kind of disturbed me as a young child was the boat ride in the tunnle. the reason being that (1) Willy Wonka is just so pleasant and jolly all the time that when he turns all dark and unemotional and starts yelling that is a tiny bit disturbing. (2.) in the background of the tunnle there are slightly disturbing videos on the wall of bugs like spiders and centipedes. some of them crawling on people. As a 4-5 year old this disturbed me. if your kid is more sensitive i would say dont watch untill 6 or 7. if they are as much u could let them watch a little earlier. there are some perilous parts such as when agustus gloop was sucked into the chocolate tube thing and u have no idea about waht happend to him. not knowing if the kids are ok might scare some little little ones. personaly i was ok with it.
Kid, 9 years old July 2, 2013

boat ride is so DISTURBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everytime i mean EVERYTIME THE BOAT RIDE COMES, I ALWAYS CLOSE MY EYES. there disturbing, like a bug,a snake,a foot! its so DISTURBING!!!!!! its not good for people under 7.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter November 23, 2011

Oompa Loompa

I grew up watching this movie. I watched it for the first time in several years the other day and realized how much I had loved it when I was younger. None the less, I found a few things that actually managed to freak me out; The boat ride, for example. I mean. . . seriously? That's freaking scary! Wonka does seem rather sadistic at times, now that I think about it, but Gene Wilder was amazing in the role. I adore the way he played Wonka. A few perilous moments are in there, but everyone makes it out alive eventually. Those who misbehave get what they deserve, and Charlie is rewarded for being a good kid. I absolutely LOVE Grandpa Joe. He always manages to be my favorite character (next to Wonka) in every version of the film I've seen. ♥ This is a MUST-SEE film; A wonderful classic! The Oopma Loopa song is stuck in my head for eternity now, though. Ugh. . . >.<
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 October 15, 2011

BAD

If you've read the book you will understand the new movie is way more accurate.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byInconceivable March 5, 2011
Kid, 7 years old December 27, 2010

I admit it, it was just stupid!!! I hate when Augustus falls in the chocolate river and gets sucked up the tube it was so fast and scary and when I say scary I mean SCARY SCARY!!!!! I will never watch it again!
Adult Written byLady Marmalade October 31, 2009

A real winner

Although; the plot deviates from the book towards the end- which my daughter (17) didn't like; and there was scene with a boat ride that was much too scay for my son(5), overall the movie was very enjoyable. It's one of the only ones we can watch together as a family.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

WB IS EVIL!!!!

WB IS SO EVIL WHEN THEY MADE THIS MOVIE THAT IN THE BOAT RIDE, FIRST THEY SHOW GREEN SMOKE, THEN A WORM, THEN THEY SHOW A WORM GOING ACROSS A RESTING GUY'S MOUTH! THEN THEY SHOW THE GUY'S EYE IN HORROR, THEN THEY SHOW A CHICKEN BEING BEHEADED, AND OTHER SICK STUFF LIKE THAT! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! THE DIDN'T EVEN GET THE TITLE RIGHT. (the book is called CHARLIE and the Chocolate Factory)
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 20, 2015

heartwarming but sometime scary roald dahl adaptation is great to entertain the whole family!

This fun for the whole family adventure, follows charlie a poor boy, that finds a golden ticket in a chocalate bar he buys and goes to visit the chocalate factory. there is close to no violence in this movie but there is some scary stuff that may scare children under six, including a boat scene where there is a lot of scary and disturbing imagery, (including a scene where we see a chicken getting there head chopped off!) And more, plus severel of the main child characters have bad things happen to them that may seem fatal at the beginning, but by the end we realise that they do survive. all in all willy wonka and the chocolate factory is a great tale for the family with positive characters and messages.
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristopherGraham January 18, 2015

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" by Christopher Graham

I thought that this film was excellent and filled with sweet imagination that will entertain kids and adults of any age. The performances of the kids and the adults were very well-practiced and well-done, the direction was very imaginative, and the storyline was so colorful and fun to its purpose of the source material of the book. The performance of Willy Wonka by Gene Wilder was done perfectly, He presented a fun and mysterious Willy Wonka, he was good-spirited and good-natured, he looked just like a real Willy Wonka, and he even had a very great attitude towards the people around him. Overall, I thought that this film was very sweet and true to its source material and that it will entertain many people of any age. Kids and 8 year olds are meant to see this movie for its imagination and attitude towards the book. Adults can see this movie too as well. Any kid can see this movie for it is rated G for General Audiences with no problems at all.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

This is a great movie but the mildly frightening scenes make it only for kids 5 and older.

Let me just start off by saying that despite this movies g rating there is a scene about five minutes in where Charlie walks past a magazine vendor and there is a magazine with a fully naked women and it's not blurred. However kids will probably not notice it because I know I didn't when I was a little kid. I haven't seen it in a few years but that's what I heard on imdb. Not to mention the film also has a strange atmosphere which may be a little unsettling to some. Some of the frightening scenes include the mysterious professor slugworth who appears out of nowhere and tells Charlie to steal a everlasting gobstoper from wonka's factory and there is some mild creppy music playing. But the most frightening scene in the movie is where they are on Mr wonkas boat and they start going towards a really dark tunnel and when they get inside creepy images appear on the walls which I won't spoil. Wonka then starts singing a really scary poem that gets more dark as it progresses. I didn't get scared at it when I was young but now it really gives me the creeps. This is a wonderful movie anyway however and should be seen by anybody 5 and up.