All member reviews for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Pure, sweet imagination for both kids and adults.

Adult Written byLady Marmalade October 31, 2009

A real winner

Although; the plot deviates from the book towards the end- which my daughter (17) didn't like; and there was scene with a boat ride that was much too scay for my son(5), overall the movie was very enjoyable. It's one of the only ones we can watch together as a family.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bysweets_JME April 11, 2010

A great classic for the family and WAY better than the newer Charlie & The Chocolate Factory!

I think it is a bit scary at parts for the preschool age, but not more than any other fairy tale. I don't allow my kids to use words like dumb, stupid, idiot, fat or other derogatory comments & this movie had a few, but the overall message outweighs any language concerns
Parent Written byA critical thinker March 28, 2012

Creepy and brilliant

I think it requires abstract thinking and historical perspective to enjoy. I hadn't seen it since the 70's, and watched it to see if I could show it to my kids. Not till 8. Probably the little ones would be fine, it's not near as violent as Disney, but I doubt they'd enjoy it.
Adult Written byRitaRoo2010 July 10, 2011

If you want to view paradise...simply check out this film

This is a TERRIFIC classic. Everyone should see it. Working at a family video, we are allowed to play movies throughout the day. I put this one at work today and not only were us employees humming along as we worked, but customers of all ages were too. And even asking about it and checking it out. It's a great film, and Charlie is a wonderful, humble, role model that kid's these days DESPERATELY NEED. There is one scary seen on the boat but the rest of it is absolutely wonderful. Gene Wilder made it amazing and it's 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (infinity and beyond) X's better than the new one.
Adult Written byLady lc December 28, 2015
I believe Johnny Depp needs to re-make Charlie and the chocolate factory ASAP it would be worth it...
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Sacry stuff here

I'll be honest - I HATE this movie! It scared me to death as a kid and still creeps me out. Willy Wonka is weird. The kids on the tour are HORRIBLE. It'll never be shown in my house.
Adult Written bymama247 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 9, 2014

I Still Watch This Kids Movie Despite the Fact I am Grown

I watched this as a small child, I don't ever remember not knowing this movie, I was always fascinated by it, it was beautiful, creative and captivated my mind. It had songs, it was visual and the story was good for a child to watch. Some people may say kids would get scared during the tunnel scene, but that has always been my favourite scene of the movie because it was just so stimulating. Gene Wilder is a fantastic actor and he was very nice in this movie, and this is the best adaptation they have done to the scene of Willy Wonka and I know in my mind it always will be.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byMamaRo October 14, 2012

Completely delightful and benign

We read the book aloud to our girls when they were ages 4 and 5. After reading the book, we rented the movie. While this movie is rated "on" for age 8, our girls watched this version of the film at ages 4 and 5 and neither was scared or disturbed by anything. I think a young child who hadn't read the book might not follow some plot elements of the film but with the book as background, I'm sure they got everything. Even the harm that comes to the horrid children was not upsetting to them because they knew all about the fates of those "bad eggs" and knew it was all make believe. The special effects from this 1971 version are pretty hokey so there was nothing that would be alarming today. We adults laughed hysterically at some of the adult jokes in the film which the kids didn't get at all.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byadpace December 29, 2009

A great classic that kids today can enjoy, too

After I read the book to my kids, we rented the movie. I wanted to inspire them to listen to and read more books and I think watching the movie afterward is a great way to do that. My kids enjoyed it a lot. Of course, the movie is very dated and it's hard to believe we watched it back in our day thinking that they movie looked great. But that aside, it held my childrens' interest (ages 4 & 6) quite well. There is nothing negative (language, etc.) in it that isn't portrayed as negative in the movie. For example, while some of the children display gluttony, selfishness and rudeness, etc., they are all portrayed as negative character traits that you would want to avoid. The only problematic part of the movie for me was the boat ride. It's a little scary for young children, but skipping quickly through it should solve that problem. I allowed my children to watch it and while they seemed afraid during that part of the movie, they quickly forgot once it was over. Overall, I'd say this a great family movie - especially for slightly older children.

spectacular !

great(and somtimes strage)movie.
Adult Written byMilly413 April 9, 2008
Parent Written byMom in Atlanta December 6, 2014

Great movie, safe movie

Watched this with my 7 and 9 year old boys. They were so enthralled with the movie they didn't even want to do our normal "pause" half-way through to make popcorn. I love finding movies with a clear understanding about who is good and who is bad. Nothing grey here at all. The boy is who is good, kind, caring, and honest wins in the end. The whole boat scene was weird in a psychedelic 70's kind of way. I'm guessing it was supposed to have some deeper meaning? Didn't bother my younger son who is normally the scardy-cat of the two. Great and refreshingly clean movie for a fun family movie night.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byInconceivable March 5, 2011
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 20, 2015

heartwarming but sometime scary roald dahl adaptation is great to entertain the whole family!

This fun for the whole family adventure, follows charlie a poor boy, that finds a golden ticket in a chocalate bar he buys and goes to visit the chocalate factory. there is close to no violence in this movie but there is some scary stuff that may scare children under six, including a boat scene where there is a lot of scary and disturbing imagery, (including a scene where we see a chicken getting there head chopped off!) And more, plus severel of the main child characters have bad things happen to them that may seem fatal at the beginning, but by the end we realise that they do survive. all in all willy wonka and the chocolate factory is a great tale for the family with positive characters and messages.
Adult Written byzoomom365 April 9, 2008

A classic

My kids identified with Charlie's deprivation (although they are hardly on his level) and noted the reward for his honesty. Yes the characters behave horribly but they get their just desserts. The boat ride is scary; those who are sensitive closed their eyes. Also, adults will have to be able to take hearing the "Oompah loompah" song from their kids for the next week.
Kid, 8 years old August 12, 2010
I love the movie but i don't like the tunnel scene .
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Eh...

I don't know why Willy Wonka is considered a 'classic.' It is boring at times, not all that funny, and Willy Wonka himself comes across as a bit sadistic. There are people who compare this to Wizard of Oz, which was a far better classic. Overrated. Good for kids: 6+
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 October 15, 2011

BAD

If you've read the book you will understand the new movie is way more accurate.

Favorite movie

Willy wonka and the chocalate factory is my favorite movie.i watched it with my aunt and my parents we all laughed at the funny and crazy things Willy Wonka did. you should watch this movie its really funny.