All member reviews for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Pure, sweet imagination for both kids and adults.

spectacular !

great(and somtimes strage)movie.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bysweets_JME April 11, 2010

A great classic for the family and WAY better than the newer Charlie & The Chocolate Factory!

I think it is a bit scary at parts for the preschool age, but not more than any other fairy tale. I don't allow my kids to use words like dumb, stupid, idiot, fat or other derogatory comments & this movie had a few, but the overall message outweighs any language concerns
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Sacry stuff here

I'll be honest - I HATE this movie! It scared me to death as a kid and still creeps me out. Willy Wonka is weird. The kids on the tour are HORRIBLE. It'll never be shown in my house.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Eh...

I don't know why Willy Wonka is considered a 'classic.' It is boring at times, not all that funny, and Willy Wonka himself comes across as a bit sadistic. There are people who compare this to Wizard of Oz, which was a far better classic. Overrated. Good for kids: 6+
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 October 15, 2011

BAD

If you've read the book you will understand the new movie is way more accurate.
Kid, 8 years old August 12, 2010

I love the movie but i don't like the tunnel scene .
Kid, 12 years old November 24, 2013

BEWARE OF BOAT RIDE SCENE

The movie's purpose is to not be greedy, braggy, spoiled, and addicted to tv. This is clearly noted throughout the movie. I would put three, but for the Creepy boat scene. After the candy room scene, they all get on a boat. The ride is dark. Creepy images appear, like worms on dead bodies, and Willy Wonka tells a frighting story. I watched it recently. I'm twelve and even I admit that scene was terrifying. Bravo even ranked the scene as a Top 100 scariest movie scene ever next to Rated-R horror films! I recommend looking up the scene on YouTube to make sure your kids can handle it. If they can't, it's the only scary part (besides the Oompa Loompas for me) so you can skip it and watch the rest of the film worry free.
Parent Written byA critical thinker March 28, 2012

Creepy and brilliant

I think it requires abstract thinking and historical perspective to enjoy. I hadn't seen it since the 70's, and watched it to see if I could show it to my kids. Not till 8. Probably the little ones would be fine, it's not near as violent as Disney, but I doubt they'd enjoy it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 25, 2010

Does It Get Much Better Than This?

This is one of my favorite stories of all time. I think my favorite song ever is probably "Pure Imagination," which is from this movie. Gene Wilder does an astounding performance as Willy Wonka. He's much better than Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka in my opinion. Absolute must-see.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byadpace December 29, 2009

A great classic that kids today can enjoy, too

After I read the book to my kids, we rented the movie. I wanted to inspire them to listen to and read more books and I think watching the movie afterward is a great way to do that. My kids enjoyed it a lot. Of course, the movie is very dated and it's hard to believe we watched it back in our day thinking that they movie looked great. But that aside, it held my childrens' interest (ages 4 & 6) quite well. There is nothing negative (language, etc.) in it that isn't portrayed as negative in the movie. For example, while some of the children display gluttony, selfishness and rudeness, etc., they are all portrayed as negative character traits that you would want to avoid. The only problematic part of the movie for me was the boat ride. It's a little scary for young children, but skipping quickly through it should solve that problem. I allowed my children to watch it and while they seemed afraid during that part of the movie, they quickly forgot once it was over. Overall, I'd say this a great family movie - especially for slightly older children.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoctor11 September 16, 2013

A little disturbing for the little ones

this is a pretty good movie. very fun and will wonka was my fave character. the only part that kind of disturbed me as a young child was the boat ride in the tunnle. the reason being that (1) Willy Wonka is just so pleasant and jolly all the time that when he turns all dark and unemotional and starts yelling that is a tiny bit disturbing. (2.) in the background of the tunnle there are slightly disturbing videos on the wall of bugs like spiders and centipedes. some of them crawling on people. As a 4-5 year old this disturbed me. if your kid is more sensitive i would say dont watch untill 6 or 7. if they are as much u could let them watch a little earlier. there are some perilous parts such as when agustus gloop was sucked into the chocolate tube thing and u have no idea about waht happend to him. not knowing if the kids are ok might scare some little little ones. personaly i was ok with it.
Kid, 9 years old July 2, 2013

boat ride is so DISTURBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everytime i mean EVERYTIME THE BOAT RIDE COMES, I ALWAYS CLOSE MY EYES. there disturbing, like a bug,a snake,a foot! its so DISTURBING!!!!!! its not good for people under 7.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter November 23, 2011

Oompa Loompa

I grew up watching this movie. I watched it for the first time in several years the other day and realized how much I had loved it when I was younger. None the less, I found a few things that actually managed to freak me out; The boat ride, for example. I mean. . . seriously? That's freaking scary! Wonka does seem rather sadistic at times, now that I think about it, but Gene Wilder was amazing in the role. I adore the way he played Wonka. A few perilous moments are in there, but everyone makes it out alive eventually. Those who misbehave get what they deserve, and Charlie is rewarded for being a good kid. I absolutely LOVE Grandpa Joe. He always manages to be my favorite character (next to Wonka) in every version of the film I've seen. ♥ This is a MUST-SEE film; A wonderful classic! The Oopma Loopa song is stuck in my head for eternity now, though. Ugh. . . >.<
Parent of a 5 year old Written byInconceivable March 5, 2011
Kid, 10 years old January 30, 2011

a rated G movie has some action violence iffy for kids 9-11

this 1970's motion picture was released from paramount pictures then changed it to warner bros.
Kid, 7 years old December 27, 2010

I admit it, it was just stupid!!! I hate when Augustus falls in the chocolate river and gets sucked up the tube it was so fast and scary and when I say scary I mean SCARY SCARY!!!!! I will never watch it again!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMOVIE13 September 11, 2010

WOW

an awsome movie for the 1970's!!!!!!
Adult Written byLady Marmalade October 31, 2009

A real winner

Although; the plot deviates from the book towards the end- which my daughter (17) didn't like; and there was scene with a boat ride that was much too scay for my son(5), overall the movie was very enjoyable. It's one of the only ones we can watch together as a family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 20, 2009

Scary at times

This movie was on TV and for the longest time I couldn't watch it because the Oompa Loompa's were really scary to watch. It's a brilliant work of imagination for its time and has you wanting to be good like Charlie and crave chocolate for at least a couple of weeks.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008