All member reviews for Wish I Was Here

Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew November 5, 2014

Sexy disapointing movie is very wishless but some laughs

My rating:R for sexual content and language
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah September 5, 2014

Sometimes cute and sometimes obnoxious.

Confession time: I've never seen Garden State, but maybe that helps me be more objective here. Anyways, I didn't really have any expectations, and in a way, that matches my reaction to the movie. There are some funny bits, but it gets so damn schmaltzy that it becomes self-indulgent, and I didn't really feel that different when it all ended. The humor mostly stems from the actors: Zach Braff here seems to be far better than writing and directing, but the little girl that has the Hit Girl wig was great. The first 30 to 40 minutes are good, but once the movie starts to hammer down its message, it becomes so excessive, and kind of contrived in the process. The earlier parts are just of the family interacting, and that's far more affecting than things like characters getting cancer or reciting poetry over montages. The first act is funny, but it does feel like "First World Problems: The Movie" given how distraught Braff's character is because they have to send their adorable quirky Jewish children to public school, and that he can't quite become a successful actor. The pacing is kind of off; the movie is two hours (while it should be around 90 minutes) and the final 35 minutes drag, but the ending is so abrupt that I thought that the projector skipped or something. The movie isn't that great and probably not even able to achieve the title of "good," but you can tell that it's sincere and isn't cynical at all. It means well and some parts are good, but it just gets too caught up in itself, eventually falling victim to what most writer/director/actor projects, which is getting too self-absorbed. 6.1/10, okay, one thumb down, average, etc.