All member reviews for World War Z

Brad Pitt zombie thriller is dull, despite intense moments.

Kid, 10 years old July 11, 2014

Great Pitt movie

Two words: just awesome
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeth S. March 7, 2014

3 1/2 stars, not so family appropriate:

NOTE: I saw the unrated blu-ray cut of the movie. As I haven't seen the theatrical cut, I cannot compare the two. The extended cut only includes more violence, and doesn't change or add to the story of the movie. I'm not a zombie fan. Watching the undead eat the flesh of the living has never really brought joy to me. That being said, I was looking forward to World War Z. After the months of production trouble, I was expecting the worst from the movie. Marc Foster already has a poor track-record with action movies, and his directorial decisions were rumored to be part of the production problems. It seems like the movie dug itself into a hole long before it was released. But against a wall of odds, World War Z is actually a very solid movie. Former UN employee Gerry Lane is living a quiet and secure life with his wife and two daughters. When driving through Philadelphia traffic, all hell breaks loose ... In the form of zombies! Gerry and his family go on a frantic run to find safety. Because of his United Nations connections, Gerry is able to evac his family to an aircraft carrier. In return, he must go back to work for the UN. He is tasked with protecting a brilliant scientist who is on the hunt for a zombie cure. The story maintains a fairly high level of intelligence throughout. This definitely isn't a mindless action movie. There are interesting twists and turns along the way. Much has been made about the rewritten third act. While I don't think it's as bad as most are painting it to be, it still could have been better. Survival is the main driving force behind most of this movie. It's not a movie about domestic trouble or interpersonal relationships. There is a threat, our hero needs to constantly survive the threat, and then he needs to find a solution to the problem. That's it. I liked the nuts and bolts approach the script has. It does an admirable job showing us a realistic reaction to a zombie outbreak. Brad Pitt carries the entire load of the movie. Our story completely centers on Gerry. He goes in and out of interaction with other characters. He starts out in danger with his family. He then transitions going on the run with Segen. But these characters clearly play second fiddle to Pitt. He does a terrific job bringing Gerry to life with a minimalist performance. His family is what drives him, giving him a motivation that makes sense. Pitt hasn't done a straight-up action movie in a while, but he hasn't lost a step. He is powerful here. The supporting cast is filled with solid performances, but none of them stand out. Mireille Enos is probably the best as Gerry's wife Karin. James Badge Dale gives a very short, but very cool performance as Captain Speke. The movie isn't focused on being a typical "zombie" movie, hence the PG-13 rating. There aren't gallons of blood and hundreds of fake severed limbs flying around. The movie is about suspense and action, not gore. The best action scene is the very first one. When a zombie outbreak explodes on the streets of Philadelphia, we are treated to a truly terrifying action scene. Gerry and his family are in trouble, and they have no resources, no information, and no place of safety. This is the best action scene, because the threat feels very real. It's also the grittiest of the action scenes, providing for a more realistic feel. The most massive action set piece is in Israel. This is the big scene that the movie marketed the most. While undeniably cool, it simply isn't as frightening as the first action scene. It's more along the lines of action, and not tension. Still, I'm not complaining about seeing a swarm of zombies climb a wall and take down a helicopter. The final action scene goes completely in the opposite direction. Instead of action, it is way more on the side of suspense. I'm always happy when a movie chooses to give the audience character driven action as opposed to fireworks and explosions. And that is exactly what World War Z does. It puts Gerry in a nearly impossible situation. His only escape is through cleverness. It's very gripping stuff. Primarily, the action doesn't simply "blow up the bomb." As the legendary Alfred Hitchcock said (paraphrased), 'Setting off a bomb gives the audience 10 seconds of surprise. Telling an audience that there's a bomb under the table and it's going to go off in 5 minutes draws viewers into 5 minutes of suspense.' And that is exactly what World War Z does, for the most part. Oh, and fast zombies are much more horrifying than sluggish ones ... I'm just saying. The rest of the technical aspect of the movie is adequate, if unspectacular. Marc Foster's direction never lets down the story. He may have had dozens of issues during filming and post production, but he still churns out a quality movie. He's probably better at directing dramas like Finding Neverland, but he does a commendable job here. My main issue with the movie is that the pacing is off. Instead of building to a sensational finish, it keeps losing steam the further it gets along. The movie is still quality all the way through, I just wish it was paced better. Marco Beltrami provides the musical score. Beltrami has written many a solid score over the past 15 years, but he is largely uninspired here. Supposedly, he had to tone down his score, because it was pushing the movie into R rated territory. The original composition might have been impressive, but his revised effort comes off as dull. And his worse offense is that he uses Hans Zimmer's Inception horn blast ... I'm sure it wasn't Beltrami's idea, but it's still so grating to hear it in score after score. Over everything else, World War Z is entertaining. It's a globetrotting, fast moving, suspenseful, and enthralling movie that takes risks within the "zombie" genre. And those risks pay off. Without the element of surprise, I don't know how good the sequel will be; but I can assure you that I will be watching. "Mother nature is a serial killer, no one's better, more creative, but like all serial killers, she can't help the urge to want to get caught." 7.5/10
Teen, 14 years old Written bytraylorharp99 July 9, 2013

World War Z

Let me start off by saying that all the other reviews you shouldn't listen too. The movie is intense for kids 12 and under, and they should not see this movie. There are sequences that will give kids nightmares. Parents should know that when a movie say PG-13, that means it's recommended for kids 13 and up, not 13 and under. So think before you plan to buy the tickets for your younger children.13 and above are more likely to understand and comprehend the movie, do not take a kid just because the kid is begging you to see it, do not cave!!! The movie is good, there is some language, the violence is a 4 out of 5. The main character (played by Brad Pitt) is a good role model, doesn't want to use violence unless he must, he cares for his daughters and wife. I would recommend to seeing this movie.
Parent of a 12 year old Written by1elysium1 July 2, 2013

Very impressed...

FIRST OFF... let me thank and congratulate whoever decided to have the visceral gore be done off-screen... it was right on... allowing for a much wider audience... thank you. I can't wait for a future uncut/director's et. al. version. It was truly scary... some that makes you jump out of your seat, but mostly it was the thought of life ending as we know it, especially in that way. Brad was excellent... showing intelligence, patience, responsibility, sacrifice, being brave in spite of the fear/terror,... but above all, the responsibility and love towards/for his family... which is somewhat echoed by his wife (and kids). I thought the whole movie was done very well except the "END" end.... it feels like a fast quick added edit... doesn't flow with the movie... feels like a different movie... they should have left that part out.... or tie it in better with maybe something similar at the beginning to bookend... but doesn't need it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycait luvs bbc July 8, 2014

WORLD WAR Z IS AN EXCELLENT MOVIE

I hate zombies, but I liked this movie because it doesn't just focus on zombies, it has an actual story to it. It deals with a dad trying to save the world from the apocalypse. you see the effects of the zombies around the whole entire world. I was surprised because I thought it would be really gory, but surprisingly it was toned down enough that, depending on the family, the whole family could watch.
Kid, 12 years old June 25, 2014

Scary and violent

This is not a kids movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieCritic1704 June 22, 2014

One of my Favorite Movies

If your into the zombie thing this movie is great for you. There is alot of violence though so it wouldn't be good to let kids younger then 12 watch it. The zombies are very realistic looking. It was pretty scary, couldn't even walk down the hall by myself.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymovieloversof2 May 17, 2014

pretty good for a zombie movie

Allowed our 10 yr old after we previewed it 3 times. Our daughter loves scary stuff like goosebumps and haunting hour so we finally gave in at let her. Its nothing like your typical zombie movie blood guts brains. Of course there's violence its a horror movie but as for language intamcy and drug use very little to none. Wasn't gory but there is plenty of death.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFriendlyReviewer April 8, 2014

Saw It At The Movies.. Awesome 3D Experience..

Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck April 3, 2014

Awesome zombie movie.

Note: I have not read the book (at least yet), if you are wondering if the movie is like the book just stop reading this review. Great zombie movie. I like zombie stuff and out of the zombie movies I have seen so far, this is my favorite one. The main character does whatever it takes to keep his family safe from being zombie food. It obviously has violence because it's a zombie movie. Brief language. It all depends on who is watching it. If the person is 10 or older they should be fine.
Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2014

perfect amount of violence for a tween!

This has no s*x, or violence! Well, very mildly, a little bit of violence. This is very intense, and startling. Perfect for a family movie night!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybnsevy2000 December 14, 2013

Intense and thrilling

This was one of the okay movies of the summer, but honestly, there weren't too many great movies in the summer of 2013. If you don't like intense action sequences an zombies, you probably won't like this movie. I didn't really like how it ended. Also, some themes in the movie weren't explained enough to the point where I got confused a couple times.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNoa_iak September 6, 2013

Great movie but scary

The only problem in this movie is that it is scary. A friend of mine which is 16 in a month set next to me and couldn't watch the movie because it was scary. On the other hand I found the andrnalin a great addtive to the experience and I loved the movie. There is action all the time and the critics make it sound alot worse then it actually is.
Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2013

decent and moderatly violent zombie movie

This movie is somewhat violent. There is only blood in one scene where an airplane crashes and the lead character is stabbed with shrapnel. But it is tame compared to other zombie movies. That being said it is not a kid movie, there are 1 or 2 jumpscares and lots of intense scenes. The zombies themselves could also scare younger viewers. The quality of the movie depends on what you wanted from it, if you wanted a ultra gory super scary horror flick than you would be dissapointed. But if what you were looking for an actiony thriller with huge amounts of zombies then this will be the best thing since color tv.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byObi Wan July 19, 2013

Older kids only

Many 'jumpy' scare scenes. Zombies are creepy. Not good for any kid who scares easily, regardless of age.
Parent Written byjoaniew July 8, 2013

Watch out for trailers beforehand.....scarier than the movie itself!

My 10 year old son has a high threshold for action movies with this kind of intensity, so he handled the scary zombie sequences without incident. The previews/trailers, however, were another story....3 incredibly disturbing trailers in a row for ghost/home invasion/violence movies. He knows to "close his eyes and ears", but I wish they would develop a ratings warning for the trailers before the movie.....the movie was mild in comparison.
Kid, 8 years old June 29, 2013

this is right

so I just saw it at an 8 yr old it was kind of scary to me so if you like jumpscares this is the movie for you
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 22, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written bygun gaming July 2, 2015

read

Movie rated age 13 I am 12 year old boy I saw that movie if my father this movie dreadful first plot was boring thing that is known if the zombies are dead and all it has neither told not to write again this violent movie really has it covered with blood but there is a full section they come to Israel and the zombies cross the fence and bite the hand soldier protagonist to the infection will not last cut his hand and see the blood spurting all is not just a powerful squirt squirt blood has fully when he does HEADSHOT zombies This film is boring bad as violent USD worth Not recommend watching
Teen, 15 years old Written bySpencer15 June 25, 2015

WWZ

This movie is fun and really scary, it has a lot of intense zombie moments and scared the crap out of me when I watched it in 3D two years ago. I have seen it 8 times and I still love it. World War Z is not a family movie but should by all teens who like scary movies. Brad Pitt is really great in this movie!