All member reviews for World War Z

Brad Pitt zombie thriller is dull, despite intense moments.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNotSean123 June 25, 2014

Kid, 12 years old June 25, 2014

Scary and violent

This is not a kids movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieCritic1704 June 22, 2014

One of my Favorite Movies

If your into the zombie thing this movie is great for you. There is alot of violence though so it wouldn't be good to let kids younger then 12 watch it. The zombies are very realistic looking. It was pretty scary, couldn't even walk down the hall by myself.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymovieloversof2 May 17, 2014

pretty good for a zombie movie

Allowed our 10 yr old after we previewed it 3 times. Our daughter loves scary stuff like goosebumps and haunting hour so we finally gave in at let her. Its nothing like your typical zombie movie blood guts brains. Of course there's violence its a horror movie but as for language intamcy and drug use very little to none. Wasn't gory but there is plenty of death.
Kid, 11 years old April 30, 2014

Awesome Zombie Movie

While it may be violent, World War Z is a captivating action movie with edge-of-your seat moments. My family loved it, and so did I.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFriendlyReviewer April 8, 2014

Saw It At The Movies.. Awesome 3D Experience..

Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck April 3, 2014

Awesome zombie movie.

Note: I have not read the book (at least yet), if you are wondering if the movie is like the book just stop reading this review. Great zombie movie. I like zombie stuff and out of the zombie movies I have seen so far, this is my favorite one. The main character does whatever it takes to keep his family safe from being zombie food. It obviously has violence because it's a zombie movie. Brief language. It all depends on who is watching it. If the person is 10 or older they should be fine.
Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2014

perfect amount of violence for a tween!

This has no s*x, or violence! Well, very mildly, a little bit of violence. This is very intense, and startling. Perfect for a family movie night!
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeth S. March 7, 2014

3 1/2 stars, not so family appropriate:

NOTE: I saw the unrated blu-ray cut of the movie. As I haven't seen the theatrical cut, I cannot compare the two. The extended cut only includes more violence, and doesn't change or add to the story of the movie. I'm not a zombie fan. Watching the undead eat the flesh of the living has never really brought joy to me. That being said, I was looking forward to World War Z. After the months of production trouble, I was expecting the worst from the movie. Marc Foster already has a poor track-record with action movies, and his directorial decisions were rumored to be part of the production problems. It seems like the movie dug itself into a hole long before it was released. But against a wall of odds, World War Z is actually a very solid movie. Former UN employee Gerry Lane is living a quiet and secure life with his wife and two daughters. When driving through Philadelphia traffic, all hell breaks loose ... In the form of zombies! Gerry and his family go on a frantic run to find safety. Because of his United Nations connections, Gerry is able to evac his family to an aircraft carrier. In return, he must go back to work for the UN. He is tasked with protecting a brilliant scientist who is on the hunt for a zombie cure. The story maintains a fairly high level of intelligence throughout. This definitely isn't a mindless action movie. There are interesting twists and turns along the way. Much has been made about the rewritten third act. While I don't think it's as bad as most are painting it to be, it still could have been better. Survival is the main driving force behind most of this movie. It's not a movie about domestic trouble or interpersonal relationships. There is a threat, our hero needs to constantly survive the threat, and then he needs to find a solution to the problem. That's it. I liked the nuts and bolts approach the script has. It does an admirable job showing us a realistic reaction to a zombie outbreak. Brad Pitt carries the entire load of the movie. Our story completely centers on Gerry. He goes in and out of interaction with other characters. He starts out in danger with his family. He then transitions going on the run with Segen. But these characters clearly play second fiddle to Pitt. He does a terrific job bringing Gerry to life with a minimalist performance. His family is what drives him, giving him a motivation that makes sense. Pitt hasn't done a straight-up action movie in a while, but he hasn't lost a step. He is powerful here. The supporting cast is filled with solid performances, but none of them stand out. Mireille Enos is probably the best as Gerry's wife Karin. James Badge Dale gives a very short, but very cool performance as Captain Speke. The movie isn't focused on being a typical "zombie" movie, hence the PG-13 rating. There aren't gallons of blood and hundreds of fake severed limbs flying around. The movie is about suspense and action, not gore. The best action scene is the very first one. When a zombie outbreak explodes on the streets of Philadelphia, we are treated to a truly terrifying action scene. Gerry and his family are in trouble, and they have no resources, no information, and no place of safety. This is the best action scene, because the threat feels very real. It's also the grittiest of the action scenes, providing for a more realistic feel. The most massive action set piece is in Israel. This is the big scene that the movie marketed the most. While undeniably cool, it simply isn't as frightening as the first action scene. It's more along the lines of action, and not tension. Still, I'm not complaining about seeing a swarm of zombies climb a wall and take down a helicopter. The final action scene goes completely in the opposite direction. Instead of action, it is way more on the side of suspense. I'm always happy when a movie chooses to give the audience character driven action as opposed to fireworks and explosions. And that is exactly what World War Z does. It puts Gerry in a nearly impossible situation. His only escape is through cleverness. It's very gripping stuff. Primarily, the action doesn't simply "blow up the bomb." As the legendary Alfred Hitchcock said (paraphrased), 'Setting off a bomb gives the audience 10 seconds of surprise. Telling an audience that there's a bomb under the table and it's going to go off in 5 minutes draws viewers into 5 minutes of suspense.' And that is exactly what World War Z does, for the most part. Oh, and fast zombies are much more horrifying than sluggish ones ... I'm just saying. The rest of the technical aspect of the movie is adequate, if unspectacular. Marc Foster's direction never lets down the story. He may have had dozens of issues during filming and post production, but he still churns out a quality movie. He's probably better at directing dramas like Finding Neverland, but he does a commendable job here. My main issue with the movie is that the pacing is off. Instead of building to a sensational finish, it keeps losing steam the further it gets along. The movie is still quality all the way through, I just wish it was paced better. Marco Beltrami provides the musical score. Beltrami has written many a solid score over the past 15 years, but he is largely uninspired here. Supposedly, he had to tone down his score, because it was pushing the movie into R rated territory. The original composition might have been impressive, but his revised effort comes off as dull. And his worse offense is that he uses Hans Zimmer's Inception horn blast ... I'm sure it wasn't Beltrami's idea, but it's still so grating to hear it in score after score. Over everything else, World War Z is entertaining. It's a globetrotting, fast moving, suspenseful, and enthralling movie that takes risks within the "zombie" genre. And those risks pay off. Without the element of surprise, I don't know how good the sequel will be; but I can assure you that I will be watching. "Mother nature is a serial killer, no one's better, more creative, but like all serial killers, she can't help the urge to want to get caught." 7.5/10
Kid, 10 years old February 20, 2014

Excellent zombie movie. Probably my favorite one ever.

This movie has lots of profanity. The language includes goddamn, ass, hell, s--t, bitch and bastard. The violence is pretty extreme including blood and not much gore (most violence is actually off screen). This is a really good movie and the sex is mild. Just kissing and sleeping together which parents do every night. So if you are a zombie fan and so are your kids, see this movie!
Kid, 12 years old February 20, 2014

Realistic

There is a lot of violence and it gets tense at points, but its one of the more possible zombie movies.
Kid, 12 years old February 17, 2014

NOTE: I didn't see the unrated version!

I only saw the theatrical version, it wasn't bad, had some violence, that's all. Maybe some profanity, can't remember....
Kid, 10 years old January 21, 2014

World War Z Review

Good movie. But you gotta watch out for some stuff. Some scary moments. And it has intense violence and very good makeups. Some funny zombies parts at the end.
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2014

great, but very intense

As I said this movie is great, and not the clique-filled hollywood blockbuster it looks liked. But it is more R than pg-13, and very intense. So 14+
Teen, 14 years old Written byJeffrey9789 December 30, 2013

this is a good zombie film

I loved wwz it was a very good film it had good action for it being PG-13 it had very good zombie action It was so good that I bought the film on blu ray and I watched it 4 times on blu ray so if you liked zombie films go buy this one it was good
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2013

Dont Bother

Very dull. Not very inapropretite.
Kid, 11 years old December 13, 2013

Very Good Watch It!

This movie is really cool, but there are some stuff you should look out for... It has blood in it and on one scene a zombie bites a soldier (girl solider) and the main character chops the hand off but he cuts it quick and doesn't show rarely of the blood, not even the hand! Some of the parts might be scary also like the time when the main character is trapped in a freezing room surrounded by zombies, its also a good thing because he finds a cure from being bitten form the zombies
Parent of a 3 year old Written bygerbowski November 20, 2013

World War Z

It's a bummer that this movie isn't more like the book that it's supposed to be based on. The book is really good, I highly recommend it. The movie could have been so much better, but unfortunately its just another zombie action flick.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymlee0607 November 14, 2013

Was not disappointing.........at all.

This movie has to be actually the most intense movie ever! I mean from beginning to end, it was so intense, and full of suspense. This whole rabies zombies thing was such a brilliant idea and the solution to curing yourself was so cool. I dare you to watch this movie, it's so full of action.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 November 13, 2013

Zombie flick makes up for scares in suspense

CSM is harsh but not entirely wrong in their review. You can make a good zombie movie without nonstop mindless action ("Zombieland," "Shaun of the Dead," etc.) but unlike those movies "WWZ" is serious 100% of the time, which takes the fun out of the film a bit. I suppose it is supposed to be taken seriously, a man surviving the zombie apocalypse, but I would've loved to seen it spiced up more. Pitt is perfectly fine as the lead, and I got some enjoyment seeing these massive herds of zombies swarming all over the place.