All member reviews for Wreck-It Ralph

Game-themed movie mixes potty humor with strong messages.

Parent Written byKarmaCat November 4, 2012

Great for adults and older kids... not so much for the wee ones.

Let me start my review by stating that my household is big-time into video games, both modern and old school. I took my kids to this movie because I knew they would love seeing Q-Bert, Pac Man, Sonic, etc. and would get a kick out of the video game setting for the storyline. And the beginning of the movie was great. We were all laughing and thoroughly enamored with the storyline. They've created some really likeable characters in really clever scenes. It was great. Then the movie suddenly became incredibly violent. As in, in-your-face, really-scary, larger-than-life violent. And it wasn't just the man-eating alien bugs and the machine guns blasting repeatedly in the screen. Characters also were hitting each other, treating each other terribly, and destroying the things that made others happy. At about this point, my 6-year-old had a total meltdown and had to be taken out of the theater. We tried bringing him back later, but that only lasted about two minutes before he was terrified and crying inconsolably again. He had to leave for good at that point, which was a good thing because it only got worse after he left. The 7-year-old next to us started crying at that point and begged his mom to let him go home. Some of the parts that were particularly upsetting: massive machine gun attacks, Ralph smashing up Vanellope's beloved racecar while she cried and screamed at him begging him to stop, the buxom blonde machine gun woman beating the @#$% out of Felix while the candy vines laughed (she actually knocked out his teeth), a giant alien insect crashing through a glass window and murdering a groom at the altar on his wedding day, King Candy holding Ralph's head and telling him he was going to force him to watch while his best friend died... And the big screen made all of these scenes rather intense. The smaller kids just couldn't handle it. Now, my 8-year-old was better equipped to deal with the intensity of these scenes and ended up really enjoying the movie--which truly did have a great message at the end. And from an adult perspective, I loved it. I even cried at the end! So for grown-ups and older kids, I'd definitely give it a thumbs up. But I kind of wish I hadn't wasted the money and traumatized my younger child by bringing him to this particular movie. If you have younger kids--especially if they are sensitive to violence and characters treating one another unkindly--you may be better off waiting until this one is out on DVD so that you can watch it at home without the intensity of the movie theater, and where you can just turn it off if it becomes too overwhelming.
Adult Written bycourtwork November 20, 2012

This movie could be the poster child for what is wrong with media "for children" today

I think this movie is awful and I don't recommend it for anyone, especially children. In fact, it embodies most of the things I try to avoid for my kids: violence, sexual typecasting and innuendo, glorified verbal abuse and unkind behavior, comedy at the expense of others, lying and cheating to win, disrespect of elders, disrespect of authority, etc. Commonsensemedia missed the boat entirely on the rating of this film in my opinion. The word that comes to mind is gratuitous. The lack of taste with which this movie was made was very distracting from the plot, for me. The characters are demeaning and rude to each other. All females are portrayed as harsh and rude or prudish and rude. One of the female characters is decked in a skin tight costume with giant breasts, tiny waist, and round hips and thighs. She is carrying an automatic weapon and leads the assault team in her video game to kill the enemy with an abundance of verbal abrasiveness. Why is she like this? Because her fiance is killed on their wedding day by a giant evil bug, so she is now bitter and violent. And of course, the nice guy falls in love with her. The more she abuses him, the deeper he falls. Is this really what we want to model for our kids? Why is that so popular in media today? The innocent sweet boy falls for the bitchy hot girl who mistreats him. what? In one game, there is a group of snarky girls who gang up on the outsider girl who is one of the "positive" role models of the movie. At the end, she says, "and for anyone who was ever mean to me... you will be executed." (gasp from the mean girls) and then she says, JUST KIDDING. The banter between the other main character – Ralph - and her is almost all antagonistic and demeaning - it is supposed to be funny but 7 year olds do not have the sophistication to understand this level of sarcasm. I understand it and I didn't find it funny, I found it distasteful. Most of the lines were intended for adults and I only laughed two or three times, as I found the movie mostly offensive. One of the “positive role model” scenes is when Ralph gives a giant cherry to a homeless video game character. The catch is that he stole the cherries in the first place. And just before this Ralph is stopped by security and the guy says something like do you have anything to say? And Ralph says “yeah, I hate you.” and the security guy says, "yeah, we get that a lot.” There is another scene where a character is comparing an obsolete video game to his "Nana" saying disparaging things about having to put her out to pasture and get rid of her. Again, 7 year olds don't need to be introduced to the concept of disrespecting their grandparents. Most 7 year olds adore their grandparents. There are so many inappropriate scenes; I would say that the majority of the movie is inappropriate for children for one reason or another. It is ALARMING to me that this movie is billed as a movie for small children. What are we thinking???? This movie contributes to the phenomenon in this country known as age compression, where children are exposed to concepts in media that they do not have the maturity to process. They begin to emulate the complicated dynamics of sexual behavior, mean girls, and sick romance at younger and younger ages, and they don't understand any of it. Parents need to be aware that movies like "Wreck It Ralph" are not made for the enrichment of children, they are made for profit by people who don't really care about children. I think the story line idea is creative and some of the concepts are creative; this movie could have been good. Unfortunately the movie is so vulgarized and degraded by the content that the creativity is overshadowed, in my opinion. This movie is not "FOR" kids, it is made "FOR" money at the expense of kids. I would suggest skipping this one altogether.
Parent Written byPDXSherri November 2, 2012

Bummer...

Save your money... not worth it! Very violent. The message is there but so saturated with violence - it is lost.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper November 4, 2012

One of Disney's best!

This was a great movie, but it does contain some violence and intense scenes. There is a very dramatic part when that involved a young child's dreams being shattered. Also the climax is can be very frightening to young children (I honestly believe it is going to go down as one of scariest Disney villains). There are many references to name brand candy but most of it was in jokes. A Subway cup is clearly visible.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byS.Wolf November 4, 2012

regrettable

if you want jane lynch do punch you in the face and call you a "pussywillow" this is the film for you.... tons of violence and inappropriate language, strongly regretted taking a 6 yr old to see it. strong beginning but it quickly unravelled into an inappropriate mess.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byleeshalou November 3, 2012

For older kids!!

Good movie but violent, scarey and has disturbing scenes. My 6 yr old son was scared at several parts. *SPOILER - one of the most disturbing parts was when a bad guy/mechanical spider cyborg holds Ralphs head up and says he's going to make him watch the little girl die. HORRIBLE. There are several other very disturbing scenes. I would absolutely recommend this for older kids.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydulpurp November 29, 2012

NOT for the little ones. Not sure WHO it's for.

Look for the review from "courtwork". Generally speaking I feel like we're so anesthetized by the onslaught of sensory data in today's world that by the time you get your kids into the movie theater and into their seats, you're relieved to just be able to sit for a couple of hours. If the kid doesn't start screaming in terror, it's a good movie. "Wreck-It Ralph" had a lot going for it in my mind, with a "Toy Story"-like conceit where inanimate characters (video game characters this time, not toys) have a secret life of their own when the humans aren't watching. But whereas "Toy Story" has real appeal and is instantly relatable, this movie is an off-kilter mess almost right away. Intense, wide-spread moral ambiguity and situations incomprehensible to a kid, on top of the threatening first-person-shooter violence and abusive talk, frightening situations, nightmarish images (alien bugs, king candy after being eaten, ralph as swamp-monster, a zombie's beating heart being ripped out of his chest), and on and on. Even my 6-year-old was baffled by the moral confusion of Venelope's game, with the computer code reprogramming plot point. [BTW, Everyone in the arcade knew about "Going Turbo", so why didn't anyone notice when the main character from "Sugar Rush" disappeared for years and a new "King" was in charge?] There's no lesson to be taught from Ralph's plight, the inner life of these characters isn't written well enough to go much beyond the "am I a good guy or a bad guy?" question. And the 12-step program format for bad guys? Ugh. Remember the "Toy Story" short film where Buzz happened upon a 12-step meeting of cast-off happy meal toys? It was already a tired idea then.... Young kids will sit through this, maybe, but anyone who thinks it's doing them any good isn't looking closely enough. At least PLAYING a video game involves hand-eye coordination. This movie is for older kids and grownups who are old enough to understand what's going on.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bylisadee November 11, 2012

Review by 9 year old girl

I saw Wreck it Ralph today and i thought it was very scary. for example a man ripped a zombies heart out to prove he was a bad guy . some other things that were scary were man eating bugs and some of the characters. there was bad language such as maniac, idiotic and hate. venelope (a character) also had a virus that was scary.there was also hitting and kissing.and on top of that a king told ralph he would watch his friend die. over all i would say wait until your children are at least 12 to see this film.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bydnpseattle November 17, 2012

Good story requiring some knowledge of video gaming, sometimes intense and scary

*** NOTE: There are some story details below (light spoilers), so read on with that in mind. *** If your kids have little to no background with video games (like mine), some of the game dynamics and rules we 'older' folks take for granted, they might have a little trouble making sense of things at first. Most of the games my girls play on the iPad are educational games. My kids had no idea what a "glitch" was and what all the talk about "code" was about. This took some rushed and hushed whispering in the movie theater (much to the chagrin of folks sitting next to us). There is one scene which made it easier to explain this: Vanellope is made fun of by the other racers for having a glitch -- being different -- and never being able to amount to anything and be a racer. They bully her and destroy something precious to her. This made my 5 year-old rather anxious and tense. This was a good opportunity to talk about how people might treat folks who are a little different (i.e. have a disability, look different, come from a different country, etc.). There were some scary and intense scenes requiring some hand-holding: 1) when the characters enter the "Hero's Duty" game, there is a lot of gun violence (fighting some pretty nasty bugs). Lot's of dark scenes with things (and bugs) exploding. For kids who have never played any shooting games, this was pretty intense. Luckily, it's short, but the nasty bugs come up again and again in the movie. 2) Ralph is tricked by the Candy King into "helping" Vanellope by preventing her from racing in the big race. It's a believable lie and Ralph falls for it and destroys her chance of entering the race by wrecking the car they built together. This was an emotionally intense scene for my younger daughter. It was hard for her to process this action. Overall, I liked this movie. The violence was a bit over-the-top in cases (as already overed in the other reviews) and caught me off-gaurd. I wasn't too bothered by the potty humor (and thought it was pretty tame). My 6 year-old liked it, too, but I think a lot of the story was lost on her. My 8 year-old loved the movie. On the downside, it has ignited an interest in certain types of video games which we had been avoiding.
Teen, 13 years old Written byantonica March 13, 2013

Awesome Sauce - go see it at the movies or rent it!!!

This movie is the best, and yes, sometimes it can say doody and stuff but whatever, kids say stuff like that all the time :)
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2013

Amazing

It is a very good film, with just a few violent parts. Definitely recommend this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBoominBoulos December 17, 2012

if you like games you will like wreak it ralph

wreak it Ralph is a brilliant film with some of the best characters i have seen for a long time and the amount of references this film has is incredible from sonic to street fighter to STAR WARS!!! im not kidding but anyway the plot is good and you feel connected to the characters especially Ralph and vanellope the music is brilliant but the villain(especially to younger kids) in his final form will probably scare some it goes so far to saying lets watch your friends die together so bear that in mind but if i had to say one flaw in the film is that they spend way to much time in sugar rush heck they spend about 20 mins in hero's duty but that's my only complaint so to conclude this review i will say that you should bring your family to see this there are things old and new gamers will recognize and even if your not a gamer you will still like this film
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byKatrina_ November 14, 2012

creepy and terrifying

I thought this was a movie set in an old-school video game, but there is a new game mixed into the world with big guns, and scary bugs the multiply like a virus and threaten to wipe out the whole population and a creepy and out-of-control/insane villain. My 7 year-old boy was really upset and out of sorts for the rest of the day. My 8 Year-old seemed nonplussed, but it just doesn't have any really redeemable qualities, so I don't recommend it for anyone.
Parent Written byGammaMoses November 5, 2012

Loud and stupid

Took two 8-yr old boys who sat through the movie expressionless. The movie was loud and, as advertised, based on video game characters. The story line doesn't really develop til 3/4's through the movie. The boys didn't seem engaged. They seemed to be overcome with the loudness and the busyness of the activity on the screen. Not the best movie I've seen with kids because of the stupidity of the action going on. Boys spent about 1 minute talking about the movie on the ride home. There wasn't much to talk about. Waste of time and money. Ralph becomes a good guy, but a good guy that is resigned to not changing his role in life.
Kid, 10 years old January 20, 2014

wreck it ralph

a sweet loving story about friends I think kids of any age can handle this movie
Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

great movie!

Amazing with a capital A!
Teen, 14 years old Written byFilm Friend November 20, 2013

Good movie

I like the story. It has a good message. The voice actors did a good job. There is violence because Wreck-it Ralph pounds things to smithereens and there are evil bugs that want to destroy everything. I like how you get to see what "life" is like inside a video game.
Kid, 9 years old August 17, 2013

The best!

Awesome action film!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNASCAR101 June 16, 2013

NOT BAD

this is by far the best movie of all time
Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2013

great movie, watch it before showing your kids though, if they're under 10 or 11

Its a good movie, one of my favorites. (Very funny)The animation is great, the voice acting is great, and the characters all have... character. It is a bit violent though, so maybe watch it before showing it to your kids. And there is a little bit where ralph has to break venellope's cart, and that made me super sad (im almost a teenager), but its really an amazing movie.