All member reviews for Wreck-It Ralph

Parent Written byKarmaCat November 4, 2012

Great for adults and older kids... not so much for the wee ones.

Let me start my review by stating that my household is big-time into video games, both modern and old school. I took my kids to this movie because I knew they would love seeing Q-Bert, Pac Man, Sonic, etc. and would get a kick out of the video game setting for the storyline. And the beginning of the movie was great. We were all laughing and thoroughly enamored with the storyline. They've created some really likeable characters in really clever scenes. It was great. Then the movie suddenly became incredibly violent. As in, in-your-face, really-scary, larger-than-life violent. And it wasn't just the man-eating alien bugs and the machine guns blasting repeatedly in the screen. Characters also were hitting each other, treating each other terribly, and destroying the things that made others happy. At about this point, my 6-year-old had a total meltdown and had to be taken out of the theater. We tried bringing him back later, but that only lasted about two minutes before he was terrified and crying inconsolably again. He had to leave for good at that point, which was a good thing because it only got worse after he left. The 7-year-old next to us started crying at that point and begged his mom to let him go home. Some of the parts that were particularly upsetting: massive machine gun attacks, Ralph smashing up Vanellope's beloved racecar while she cried and screamed at him begging him to stop, the buxom blonde machine gun woman beating the @#$% out of Felix while the candy vines laughed (she actually knocked out his teeth), a giant alien insect crashing through a glass window and murdering a groom at the altar on his wedding day, King Candy holding Ralph's head and telling him he was going to force him to watch while his best friend died... And the big screen made all of these scenes rather intense. The smaller kids just couldn't handle it. Now, my 8-year-old was better equipped to deal with the intensity of these scenes and ended up really enjoying the movie--which truly did have a great message at the end. And from an adult perspective, I loved it. I even cried at the end! So for grown-ups and older kids, I'd definitely give it a thumbs up. But I kind of wish I hadn't wasted the money and traumatized my younger child by bringing him to this particular movie. If you have younger kids--especially if they are sensitive to violence and characters treating one another unkindly--you may be better off waiting until this one is out on DVD so that you can watch it at home without the intensity of the movie theater, and where you can just turn it off if it becomes too overwhelming.
Parent Written byPDXSherri November 2, 2012

Bummer...

Save your money... not worth it! Very violent. The message is there but so saturated with violence - it is lost.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper November 4, 2012

One of Disney's best!

This was a great movie, but it does contain some violence and intense scenes. There is a very dramatic part when that involved a young child's dreams being shattered. Also the climax is can be very frightening to young children (I honestly believe it is going to go down as one of scariest Disney villains). There are many references to name brand candy but most of it was in jokes. A Subway cup is clearly visible.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byleeshalou November 3, 2012

For older kids!!

Good movie but violent, scarey and has disturbing scenes. My 6 yr old son was scared at several parts. *SPOILER - one of the most disturbing parts was when a bad guy/mechanical spider cyborg holds Ralphs head up and says he's going to make him watch the little girl die. HORRIBLE. There are several other very disturbing scenes. I would absolutely recommend this for older kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written by8rebel24 November 3, 2012

A must-see for whole family!

This movie has it all. Heroes you will love rooting for, great animation, an epic storyline, an amazing setting, no political message. The sometimes iffy language and one character pouring himself a martini will go right over kids' heads. They will be so wrapped up in the story: A video-game bad guy named Ralph has quit his game because no one likes him, and ended up meeting another reject, Vanellope von Schweetz. He and Vanellope become friends as two other video-game characters, Felix and Calhoun, search for Ralph. A great story that will have you (and your kids, of course!) shocked and amazed at the twist ending. (All I'm going to tell you is that it involves a video-game legend who went bad and an evil ruler from Vanellope's game.) But aside from the story, this movie has great animation and many other aspects you and your kids will love. Enjoy!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byS.Wolf November 4, 2012

regrettable

if you want jane lynch do punch you in the face and call you a "pussywillow" this is the film for you.... tons of violence and inappropriate language, strongly regretted taking a 6 yr old to see it. strong beginning but it quickly unravelled into an inappropriate mess.
Adult Written byJEDI micah November 3, 2012

DISNEY'S GOT ANOTHER GREAT HIT!!!

As a gamer, this movie is amazing! It has almost all the gaming genres you could think of: action, first-person shooting, racing, strategy, and on and on, with many recognizable gaming characters: Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Pac-Man, Bowser, Q-bert, Frogger(I'm telling ya, this movie's fantastically great!). Not only will kids who are gamers will love this movie, but even adults who grew up playing these old arcade games may get a kick out of it as well! Wreck-It-Ralph is also a great role model for kids. Vanellope is the cutest and funniest character in the whole movie! The computer graphics, music, and voice acting are also really terrific! I recommend this movie not only to gamers, but to EVERYONE who loves an exciting, heart-warming, and funny movie! Call me crazy, but this might be the animated movie of the year!
Kid, 9 years old November 2, 2012

awesome

watched it and loved it
Kid, 9 years old November 3, 2012

Good, but not okay for all kids.

This was good, but NONE is okay for 5 and under. This had a character taking the heart out of a zombie, and blood pumps out. Also, this has an FPS game, and another person from some other game has a crush on a realistic military woman, and shoots machine guns like in the classic games Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. This also even has using "execute", "Doody", and "I hate you." If your kids are under 9 I would recommend YOU supervising them while they watch it
Teen, 14 years old Written bySol9000 November 3, 2012

A Tiny bit Disapointing, but that doesn't say much considering how humongus my expectations were

Violence: I agree with Ralph. Since when did Video Games get so violent? I know it started with Mortal Kombat and began to become a stereotype associated with gamers since the days of the PlayStation 1, but why do people prefer insane amounts of blood to not having to deal with lack of vision because the vampire's lung isn't covering your screen. Consumerism: Noticeable, but not a problem. Pac-Man, Sonic and Mario run around rampant, but did anyone else notice folks like Street Fighter? Oh, and some products like Nesquik and Oreo when we get to Sugar Rush. Stereotypes: Taken out. For Science. Quality: While a bit like Toy Story, which I wouldn't have known had someone not pointed it out to me afterword, I can set aside the lazy template, because the muscle and skin they put on the rehashed skeleton is what matters, and they did well in that case. But I questioned the antagonist's goals when he revealed himself. I understood the actions of his plan, just not why he bothered to continue. I dunno, maybe he was a psychopath from day one, and nobody bothered checking him in with a psychiatrist. Das all I haz to complain about... Edit: No, no it isn't all. I'm looking at the reviews and clearly I should've reviewed Hotel Transylvania rather then waltzing up to this and putting effort into a clearly lost cause: getting you people to stop using all caps on the internet when you love or hate something. It makes your review less credible
Adult Written bycourtwork November 20, 2012

This movie could be the poster child for what is wrong with media "for children" today

I think this movie is awful and I don't recommend it for anyone, especially children. In fact, it embodies most of the things I try to avoid for my kids: violence, sexual typecasting and innuendo, glorified verbal abuse and unkind behavior, comedy at the expense of others, lying and cheating to win, disrespect of elders, disrespect of authority, etc. Commonsensemedia missed the boat entirely on the rating of this film in my opinion. The word that comes to mind is gratuitous. The lack of taste with which this movie was made was very distracting from the plot, for me. The characters are demeaning and rude to each other. All females are portrayed as harsh and rude or prudish and rude. One of the female characters is decked in a skin tight costume with giant breasts, tiny waist, and round hips and thighs. She is carrying an automatic weapon and leads the assault team in her video game to kill the enemy with an abundance of verbal abrasiveness. Why is she like this? Because her fiance is killed on their wedding day by a giant evil bug, so she is now bitter and violent. And of course, the nice guy falls in love with her. The more she abuses him, the deeper he falls. Is this really what we want to model for our kids? Why is that so popular in media today? The innocent sweet boy falls for the bitchy hot girl who mistreats him. what? In one game, there is a group of snarky girls who gang up on the outsider girl who is one of the "positive" role models of the movie. At the end, she says, "and for anyone who was ever mean to me... you will be executed." (gasp from the mean girls) and then she says, JUST KIDDING. The banter between the other main character – Ralph - and her is almost all antagonistic and demeaning - it is supposed to be funny but 7 year olds do not have the sophistication to understand this level of sarcasm. I understand it and I didn't find it funny, I found it distasteful. Most of the lines were intended for adults and I only laughed two or three times, as I found the movie mostly offensive. One of the “positive role model” scenes is when Ralph gives a giant cherry to a homeless video game character. The catch is that he stole the cherries in the first place. And just before this Ralph is stopped by security and the guy says something like do you have anything to say? And Ralph says “yeah, I hate you.” and the security guy says, "yeah, we get that a lot.” There is another scene where a character is comparing an obsolete video game to his "Nana" saying disparaging things about having to put her out to pasture and get rid of her. Again, 7 year olds don't need to be introduced to the concept of disrespecting their grandparents. Most 7 year olds adore their grandparents. There are so many inappropriate scenes; I would say that the majority of the movie is inappropriate for children for one reason or another. It is ALARMING to me that this movie is billed as a movie for small children. What are we thinking???? This movie contributes to the phenomenon in this country known as age compression, where children are exposed to concepts in media that they do not have the maturity to process. They begin to emulate the complicated dynamics of sexual behavior, mean girls, and sick romance at younger and younger ages, and they don't understand any of it. Parents need to be aware that movies like "Wreck It Ralph" are not made for the enrichment of children, they are made for profit by people who don't really care about children. I think the story line idea is creative and some of the concepts are creative; this movie could have been good. Unfortunately the movie is so vulgarized and degraded by the content that the creativity is overshadowed, in my opinion. This movie is not "FOR" kids, it is made "FOR" money at the expense of kids. I would suggest skipping this one altogether.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydulpurp November 29, 2012

NOT for the little ones. Not sure WHO it's for.

Look for the review from "courtwork". Generally speaking I feel like we're so anesthetized by the onslaught of sensory data in today's world that by the time you get your kids into the movie theater and into their seats, you're relieved to just be able to sit for a couple of hours. If the kid doesn't start screaming in terror, it's a good movie. "Wreck-It Ralph" had a lot going for it in my mind, with a "Toy Story"-like conceit where inanimate characters (video game characters this time, not toys) have a secret life of their own when the humans aren't watching. But whereas "Toy Story" has real appeal and is instantly relatable, this movie is an off-kilter mess almost right away. Intense, wide-spread moral ambiguity and situations incomprehensible to a kid, on top of the threatening first-person-shooter violence and abusive talk, frightening situations, nightmarish images (alien bugs, king candy after being eaten, ralph as swamp-monster, a zombie's beating heart being ripped out of his chest), and on and on. Even my 6-year-old was baffled by the moral confusion of Venelope's game, with the computer code reprogramming plot point. [BTW, Everyone in the arcade knew about "Going Turbo", so why didn't anyone notice when the main character from "Sugar Rush" disappeared for years and a new "King" was in charge?] There's no lesson to be taught from Ralph's plight, the inner life of these characters isn't written well enough to go much beyond the "am I a good guy or a bad guy?" question. And the 12-step program format for bad guys? Ugh. Remember the "Toy Story" short film where Buzz happened upon a 12-step meeting of cast-off happy meal toys? It was already a tired idea then.... Young kids will sit through this, maybe, but anyone who thinks it's doing them any good isn't looking closely enough. At least PLAYING a video game involves hand-eye coordination. This movie is for older kids and grownups who are old enough to understand what's going on.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bylisadee November 11, 2012

Review by 9 year old girl

I saw Wreck it Ralph today and i thought it was very scary. for example a man ripped a zombies heart out to prove he was a bad guy . some other things that were scary were man eating bugs and some of the characters. there was bad language such as maniac, idiotic and hate. venelope (a character) also had a virus that was scary.there was also hitting and kissing.and on top of that a king told ralph he would watch his friend die. over all i would say wait until your children are at least 12 to see this film.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bybabytrainreading November 4, 2012

Watchable, good message, well made.

Parent Written byGammaMoses November 5, 2012

Loud and stupid

Took two 8-yr old boys who sat through the movie expressionless. The movie was loud and, as advertised, based on video game characters. The story line doesn't really develop til 3/4's through the movie. The boys didn't seem engaged. They seemed to be overcome with the loudness and the busyness of the activity on the screen. Not the best movie I've seen with kids because of the stupidity of the action going on. Boys spent about 1 minute talking about the movie on the ride home. There wasn't much to talk about. Waste of time and money. Ralph becomes a good guy, but a good guy that is resigned to not changing his role in life.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy November 4, 2012

I'M GONNA WRECK IT!

I saw this movie recently,and it is now ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER! Hilarious jokes,great CGI,and so on.The actors did a great job with their voices.I love the way Wreck-It Ralph says "I'M GONNA WRECK IT!" I also love how the orange ghost turns blue.I can go on and on about how much I love this movie,but i'm guessing you get the point.I hope you take your family to see it.I COMMAND YOU.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byKatrina_ November 14, 2012

creepy and terrifying

I thought this was a movie set in an old-school video game, but there is a new game mixed into the world with big guns, and scary bugs the multiply like a virus and threaten to wipe out the whole population and a creepy and out-of-control/insane villain. My 7 year-old boy was really upset and out of sorts for the rest of the day. My 8 Year-old seemed nonplussed, but it just doesn't have any really redeemable qualities, so I don't recommend it for anyone.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybenito jug November 6, 2012

horrible

worst movie i have ever seen
Parent of an infant year old Written bystrawberryummies November 9, 2012

Perfect movie for a family full of gamers!

I loved this movie, not only as a movie for kids, but as an adult as well. I'd recommend this movie to anyone with kids. Especially those who play video games themselves! It had great role models for younger kids (the underdog overcoming adversity, breaking gender roles, healthy relationships between unlikely characters), cute humor (some potty humor that I didn't notice pop up more than once), and a whole slew of video game references that even non-gamers will find charming!
Educator and Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bymelisapmunoz November 16, 2012

Quite Enjoyable!

I saw this movie with my 10-year-old son and 8-year old daughter. We all enjoyed it so much, that my son announced that it was his favorite 'kid's movie.' I loved the message it gave about being inclusive. The only aspect that really bothered me was some of the language. It wasn't 'bad' language, just a little 'raw'. (i.e. duty/doody) The kids thought it was funny, of course. Another red flag was the consumerism inbedded throughout the movie. In one scene, we see a Subway cup. But since my kids and I are studying hidden/subliminal messages in the media, this scene was a great example for our discussion. Overall though, the movie was very great!.