All member reviews for You've Got Mail

Predictable-but-sweet romantic comedy.

Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe June 2, 2010

I love this movie! Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks shine together on the scree. In an age where computers and technology are very much present, this love story is one of getting to know someone through this technology in a way that you might not in real life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshopgirl April 9, 2008

A 'watch it 100 times' kind of movie!!!

It is a romantic comedy, that the whole family will love.You can watch it over, and over again and it will be as; New, funny, and cute as it was when you first saw the opening credits!!!
Adult Written bylorif April 9, 2008

A Must See!

Meg and Tom are wonderful in this. No bad language and Meg is a stitch! Definantely a must see!
Parent of an infant year old Written bystrawberryummies February 16, 2013

Worse than the cliche "princess syndrome" for young girls.

I found this movie incredibly victimizing of the female protagonist. "Love conquers all?" Is that the message we want to send to our daughters when the man they're in love with is single-handedly destroying their dreams and squashing a company that they worked so hard to maintain under his big corporate boot? Or to our sons, who cares if you're in love with her. Money is the only thing that matters, so destroy her modest business that keeps her life afloat so you can get that promotion at work! She can always be a stay-at-home mom and live on your six-figure salary. If you're seriously considering showing this to your kids, make sure they're old enough to recognize the moral dilemmas within this movie and take them at face value.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Good, but Don't Let Your Kids Check this Mailbox

First of all, yes, this movie is sweet, and clean for its day. For a bookworm like myself, the romance between mom-and-pop bookshop owner Kathleen and major chain magnate Joe is irresistible. That being said, don't let your kids watch. Both protagonists have live-in lovers, which is morally ambiguous at best, and just plain wrong for some families, particularly those of the Judeo-Christian persuasion. The inherent dangers of online dating are also not discussed (Joe says a couple things, but they're played for laughs). Your teens may get romanticized ideas from this film. Before you let anyone under 17 watch, make sure they have a healthy relationship with the World Wide Web.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bykpjarowberry February 12, 2009

One of my faves, but NOT for kids.

I LOVE this movie, and the on-screen chemistry between Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan never fails to please. However, if you are the type of parent who teaches your children to value the sanctity of marriage, skip this one. I would not recommend this a movie for anyone under the age of 14. While there are no nudity or "bedroom" scenes, there are, as the main review mentions, plenty of inappropriate relationships, not to mention some very strong language. While I realize that my 9 & 12 year olds are probably exposed to some of this in the real world, I believe that we, as parents, need to realize that we send a message of approval to our children when we bring media into our homes. Just because it is out there, and others may be allowing their children to watch, doesn't mean that we should lower our standards and follow suit. Home should be a haven from the "noises" of the world. There are plenty of other choices for the younger set.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion January 19, 2009

A Witty and Light-Hearted Family Comedy!

YOU'VE GOT MAIL is from the same creators, actors, and director as SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE. The differences being: in this one there's internet instead of a call-in-radio show, Hanks's son is replaced by Hanks's dog, and the characters meet before the very end. Saying that, it succeeds everywhere that SLEEPLESS did. It is just as fun, just as intelligent, just as romantic, and just as family-friendly. Two women briefly mention "cybersex" (not graphic at all). Passing reference is made to Hanks's stepmom "running off with the nanny" (both are women). Language consists of a few "a*s"s, one "hell", and one "b**ch". There is no violence or drugs. Great family comedy. Anyone who can watch SLEEPLESS can watch this.
Adult Written byRachaelEmanuelle April 9, 2008

Kid, 9 years old October 15, 2014

Oh just wait a little

They have a lot of consumerisim and when I watched it when I was 9, I was a little confused. There is also a lot of L-O-V-E in it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBigmegfan November 6, 2012

Great romantic comedy of all time

I really love this movie. The storyline is easy to follow, and dialogues are nice and funny. It is a great romantic comedy that even tweens can enjoy.
Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2012

You've Got Mail

This film sends out a great message that if you look at someone in more detail, you might learn to love them.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTotally500 June 30, 2012

YOUVE GOT A GREAT MOVIE!

this is a very charming movie. i thought it was well crafted and well done to me tom hanks and meg ryan do a great job the second time around after sleepless in seattle overall really good
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Fine

Ok film, a great romance film. Sexual themes are extremely mild. I would let my 13 year old watch if I had a kid
Kid, 8 years old August 7, 2010

no strong language i love it

i love it language-one s--t ass hell consumerism-starbucks aol and apple
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2010

2 actors in this movie's one of mom's favorite actors
Kid, 9 years old January 7, 2010

It was very good! The only innapropriate part was cyber sex, and that's not a lot. It was great, and I really reccomend it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byperfectionist December 18, 2009

Great romantic comedy.

This movie is wonderful. Kids could watch it; but may not like it for the romantic parts.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymuzikfreak147 July 31, 2009

Possibly the greatest movie EVER

Possibly one of my favorite movies of all time. I don't see how You've Got Mail could be considered inappropriate by any stretch of the imagination. It is one of the greatest love stories I have ever seen, and I would recommend it to anyone, although I do think that anyone under about 13 would get pretty bored with it. There is a great message, and it is very touching
Kid, 12 years old July 29, 2009

Might be a little boring for small children

It's a wonderful comedy/romance that shows how two adults fall in love, first by meeting in a chat-room. The only problem about this movie is that there's LOTS of money and business issues in this movie that may not be appropriate for tweens. The movie does have some bad language, but a very mild amount. So I wouldn't consider it a problem. If you love a good romance, this is the movie for you!
Adult Written bypaigeturner89 April 9, 2008