All member reviews for Zero Dark Thirty

Intelligent, uncompromising drama is violent and complex.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie loving teen January 9, 2013

6th Best Movie of 2012

I really enjoyed this movie for its attention to detail and intensity to the situation. It is #6 in my favorites behind #5: Argo, #4: Skyfall, #3: Django Unchained, #2: The Dark Knight Rises, #1: Looper Which I also recommend to all. This contains pretty Strong Brutal Violence and Graphic Language especially the last 40 minutes. This has tons of mature themes and content including tourture and unexpected bombings. If you can't handle very intense materiel stay away.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats January 20, 2013

The Greatest Manhunt in History

Easily one of the best films of 2012. Jessica Chastain's performance is flawless and the supporting cast is great. I don't understand all the flak that Bigelow is getting about this because the torture scenes weren't too lengthy or graphic. Her direction is excellent, especially in the final scene where instead of making tons of commotion on screen and having obnoxious shaky cam, she lets the tension hang in the air with the power of silence and still keeps you on the edge of your seat. One of the most well-made movies I've ever seen. There is some nudity for about a minute or two when a man is being tortured and his bare backside is seen. Violence could be an issue because there is a few scenes with intense close range shooting but that is very infrequent. Suicide bombers are seen twice from aerial views. The f-word is thrown around about maybe twenty times, and about ten uses of s--t. Alcohol is seen being consumed various times. Positive role models are in Zero Dark Thirty, though, because Maya is a strong woman who does a job that primarily consists of men, better than most men, a lot like Kathryn Bigelow. A.
Parent of a 17, 17, and 19 year old Written byDadIV January 13, 2013

Great Movie and no political slant

Just saw this with my wife. We both agreed that the torture scenes are a bit intense but milder than many action flicks and not as bad as some media portrayed. It made us discuss both the benefits of it and how bad it is at the same time. No over-dramatization of 911 or the military action. The movie is a bit long (my wife thought) but retained my interest all the way through. Seemed to show what would be intelligent reality in the pursuit of Bin Laden, extreme hard work by very intelligent and dedicated people. And intelligence by the terrorist.
Kid, 10 years old February 21, 2014

Zero Dark Thirty has profanity, mild nudity and violence but is still an excellent movie.

The sex is mild, only naked male bottoms. The violence is only in the end and during the torture scenes, but overall there is not too much blood and there is no gore that I remember seeing and I saw this movie about a month ago. The language is the worst part except since swearing isn't usually a problem, there's not much too worry about. So overall I'd say it's NOT for ages 0-7, OK for ages 8-13, and is GREAT for ages 14-18. There is learning value in this movie and it's a true story making it a better movie than the "I'm going to space to blow up aliens to have their guts all over the camera." So I definitely recommend seeing this movie if you are at least at 13 years of age. (There is some smoking and drinking.)
Teen, 14 years old Written byThatGamingCat May 29, 2013

Great movie! But extremely violent.

Great,but extremely violent story on killing Osama bin laden. I recommend this movie for older teenagers, because it contains plenty of foul language and violence.
Kid, 12 years old May 15, 2013

Great

My uncle took me my 15 year old cousin and my 20 year old brother to go see it. It was fantastic it had a lot of language like the f word and the s word it violence of course and the acting was amazing overall it was great it is a must see
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieloverbitsh April 14, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty for mature 13 year old

This was an AMAZING movie. It is very intense has some disturbing things in it but a very mature 13 year old could see it as long as they aren't scared of it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 10, 2013

Amazing, yet brutal drama.

Characters are shot in the final scene multiple times while on the ground, blood is shown. There are some upsetting scenes of explosions and much intensity throughout. The profanity is the problem, there are close to 45 F words, as well as drinking and suggestive talk.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNASCAR101 April 9, 2013

0 dark 30 sucks

0 dark 30 sucks and the movie should not have been made at all. bid laden is stupid and should die in a hole. period.
Teen, 15 years old Written byfangningsheng March 25, 2013

Thoughful, complex film demands multiple viewings

Zero Dark Thirty is an intense, thoughtful film that is hard to categorize. It requires several viewings to fully enjoy and understand it. Definitely a worthy film to watch. Content wise, expect two gunfight sequences, one brief and not graphic and the other longer and rather graphic, with spurting blood, screaming, and dead bodies. There are several torture sequences including waterboarding and a man being hit in the face repeatedly. Language is strong and relentless. There is some drinking and smoking, and references to drugs. Best for mature teens and up. Suggested MPAA Rating: R for strong violence including torture, and pervasive language.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMartina7 January 25, 2013

Docudrama? Not.

Docudrama it is not, and sadly the distortions of reality will be remembered as if they were the truth.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan August 13, 2015

Zero Dark Thirty movie review

"Zero Dark Thirty" is a very good film. It was interesting to see how Osama Bin Laden was found and killed because the man (if he can be called a man and not a scaredy cat) absolutely deserved death for his actions of 9/11. Jessica Chastain plays the person most responsible for his deaths and she was very good in this movie. I think her performance is slightly overrated but still good. My issue with the film is how we don't see her character background. The movie is very good at taking its time. It is a slow movie. I still really enjoyed watching it and was riveted by the last act of the movie. It is a very well-made film. The cinematography and direction are excellent. "Zero Dark Thirty" was an interesting portrait of hunting Bin Laden who deserves to burn in hell. I enjoyed it but thought "Argo" was absolutely the better picture.
Written byAnonymous December 26, 2014

Exciting military movie is violent and moody

My rating:R for graphic war violence,strong language,sexual situations,drug use and gunshots throughout
Teen, 16 years old Written byThe Owner of a dog December 18, 2014

Eh...........

It really depends on what your child watches. Understands what they are watching. so yea......They have to understand Obamis bin Landens death or however you
Teen, 16 years old Written bythe-divergent February 22, 2014

Brilliant

Before I say anything, I have to say how much I loved this movie. It was extremely interesting. But it was intense. There are many torture scenes and A LOT of violence. This wouldn't be that bad if it was fictional but to know that that actually happens it's extremely frightening. THIS MOVIE IS FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY. I'm warning you now, do not let your 13 year old watch this! This is for mature teens and any adult. It is enjoyable if you can handle it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bygerbowski November 20, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty

Well worth the watch, despite some disturbing scenes.
Kid, 11 years old August 29, 2013

No t for

There is a ton of violence and is therefore not for kids
Teen, 15 years old Written byi rate things August 17, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty Mature Audiences

I saw it when I was 13; however, I saw it with my dad. There is extreme profanity but it tells the story without holding back. There is also torture scenes but anyone who enjoys history or is curious about the movie should watch it! It is for mature audiences though.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybretnummer248 July 2, 2013

Good Action-Drama for 15+

This is an action-drama from Kathryn Bigelow, who directed the violent movies Point Break, and The Hurt Locker. It isn't overly violent but there are some scenes of torture, explosions, and shooting. The ending contains a raid on Osama Bin Laden's compound and there is some semi-bloody shooting violence. There is some swearing and drinking throughout the film also. The main character is determined to get Osama and she is a pretty good role model.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byvkumar3908 June 29, 2013

Thought provoking movie!

Whatan outstanding movie, one of the best. Because of Bin Ladens recent death, teens will be aching to go see this drama. But the coarse language and violence make this movie hard for you to let your kids see. Gore - No gore whatsoever. Violence - Heavy violence such as heavy shooting with bloody consequences shown on a news report; a suicide bombing in a campsite where a beloved character dies in; and various torture scenes 98% of them being graphic depictions of waterboarding which is however breif. However, the worst is when a man towards the beggining of the movie is stripped down and a dog collar is attached to him, he is led around the room with his backside showing (visible faece on his backside). There is also visible urine and faecial matter all over the floor. I am shocked that common sense media didnt pick this up as itis one of the most disturbing scenes in the movie! Language - Many frequent uses of the F-word and low uses of S**t. Sex - as part of humiliation torture, a man has his pants stripped and his naked behind is shown soaked in faecial matter. Before a raid, a man thnks Maya for her courage and says without her hed be raped in a Pakistani Prison which coukd be referred to as racism as well. Racism - Not a lot of it, but the al - Qaeda are often reffered to as the 'Paks' In conclusion I think anyone under the age of 15 will find the movie frankly disturbing due to torture and the humiliation some prisoners are forced into.