All member reviews for Zombieland

Horror-comedy hybrid is gory, crude ... and not for kids.

Adult Written byMovie Man October 3, 2009

Horiffically Hilarious! Fun, Funny, and Scary!

This is a great, original comedy. It made me laugh out-loud many times. But it was VERY scary with lots of zombie violence and gore, the type you'd see in 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead. If you've seen Shaun of the Dead you'll get an idea of what this is like: hilarious, but scary and graphically gory. PARENTS: kids will be freaked out by some jump scenes and a zombie clown (I'm not even afriad of clowns and it scared the crud out of me)! Very gory, almost gruesomely so, but very funny. If you can handle lots of graphic gore and a zombie clown (who doesn't show up for very long; only one scene, but it's freaky), then you should enjoy this awesome comedy. Thanks for reading - Movie Man.
Adult Written byCommanderC October 15, 2009

Violent, But Funny

This is a know your kids situation. Yes, it is a bit violent and gory, but it is counterbalanced by its hilarity. Personally, I loved it, but this is not a movie that you can take your kids along to if you can't find a babysitter.
Teen, 13 years old Written by9002 July 23, 2010

Zombieland is probably my favorite movie of all time. Some of it was kind of scary, but most of the scary parts were more surprising than scary (ie: a zombie jumping out from nowhere). Overall, due to the graphic zombie violence, I rate this movie iffy for ages 15-17. Detailed review: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Violence (5/5): Most of the extremely graphic violence is at the beginning, featuring lovely sights such as bone breaking and popping out of skin, and zombies devouring human flesh. I think the most graphic scene would be when a zombie is shown eating a dead human: you see the zombie eating the intestines, and later pulling a bone out of the body, snapping it in half, and drinking the marrow. Much of the violence is sort of from a distance (you see blood splatter but not much gore), and some of the violence happens off-screen. This movie is definitely not for little kids, since we don't want them to get desensitized, but I'm 13 and I watched this movie with no problem. However, due to the excessive violence, I wouldn't recommend it to most people under 15. Also, don't watch if you're squeamish about movie gore. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sex (2/5): A stripper zombie is briefly seen in the opening credits with pasties on her nipples. A man and a woman kiss. Some references to sex. However, there is very little sexual content (and no actual sex), especially for an R rated comedy movie. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Language (4/5): The language isn't constant, but there are frequent uses of f*** (some with mother-, some with spit-), some uses of s**t, and also some milder profanity such as b***h, a**, etc. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Consumerism (3/5): Some brand names are referenced... but I don't even get was consumerism has to do with whether or not something is appropriate for kids. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Drugs, Drinking, & Smoking (3/5): Some alchohal consumption. In one scene, characters are briefly scene smoking marijuana from a hookah. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Zombieland was rated R for horror violence/gore and language. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adult Written byQ81 October 12, 2009

Good, but maturity required.

As you will probably pick up from other reviews, this movie is more of a comedy than anything else. Bottom line, I loved it. Going in I didn't think I would, but I was pleasently surprised. Violence and language are obious concerns in this movie, but in comparison to similar movies, this one is surprisingly tame. Sexual hints and coments are made periodicly throughout, mostly with the humor, and are generaly mild. The only major concern is in the opening sequnce as a topless female zombie chases after her soon-to-be lunch. Aparenly her nipples are covered (I didn't look long enough to tell for sure) but for me, it was more than I wanted to see (especially bowncing in slow motion). It lasts for about ten to twenty seconds, and is part of the opening credits, so you won't miss anything important by simply averting your eyes. The product placement is overt and over the top, but to the point that the movie is making fun of the practice. However, I did feel like finding a twinkie after the movie, so maybe it worked. Anyway, I think the movie does have some positive messages about life dispite all of the rediculousness. One of my favorites was to "Take time to appreciate the small joys in life." All in all, it was a movie I will recomend to my friends and family, but there is a degree of maturity needed to handle some of the material. Solid 4 stars!
Teen, 15 years old Written bySynchronicity October 4, 2009

Like zombies? Then this is one trip you (and your teens) don't wanna miss

This film is comic gold. Zombieland is basically a post-apocalyptic zombie-fighting comedy road movie. You'll be scared in some parts, while in others you'll wet your pants laughing. From the opening scene, when Jesse Eisenberg's character lists rules to survive the zombie apocalypse, to a hilarious brawl in a grocery store (Tallahassee just wants some Twinkies, but gets his Caddy and weapons stolen by 2 chicks who later team up with the other guys), to an epic celebrity cameo (I can't spoil it for you), Zombieland delivers. However, I can't recommend this film to anyone under 14. Yes, this is a pretty gory film, and zombies are usually seen bleeding from their mouths, eating human flesh, and basically acting like zombies. Also, there are many inventive zombie kills. Guns are the weapon of choice, but bats, knives, amusement park rides, fire, and cars (you know, the usual stuff) are used to kill zombies as well. And yet, all the violence looks very cartoonish, and the comedy lessens the impact of the violence, as in similar films like Severance, Drag Me To Hell, and Shaun of the Dead. Language is pretty rough, at 32 f-bombs, but it's not as bad as other R-rated fare. There's also a bit of sexual content in the beginning, when a topless zombie stripper (with pasties covering her breasts) is seen. Finally, there's a scene of 2 of the main characters and the celebrity guest smoking pot from a hookah. However, both of these scenes are brief and add to the comedy. Overall, if you want some comedy and lots of zombies with your horror (I know a lot of people do), then get a one-way ticket to Zombieland. Note, however, that you should be over 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzombieassassin December 19, 2010

Good, but lots of langauge.

Dont take me wrong, its a great movie, but has alot of issues. It was actually my first rated-R movie(I saw it when I was 12) and I see why my parents dont like this stuff. The langauge was the worst part, they say the F-Word at least 10 times along with other crass langauge like b-stard, s--t, b-tch, and probably every word that means "crotch". The violence isnt super scary, but there is alot of shooting and blood. So there isnt really one age for this movie, but you need to know your kid.
Kid, 10 years old July 14, 2010

awesome movie

halirious movie!!!! the gore is over the top horror violence such as... zombies bite into people you can see lots of blood and other stuff. a zombie has its leg broken you can see the bone. zombie are shot some not bloody proberly the most graphic is when a zombie is shot in the head with a shot gun. the f-word is said at least 10 times along with the b-word said around 4 times and i think theres a few s-words in there. some sexual jokes and refrences. this moive is not for those that get put off of gore,bad language and those that get scared of zombies(the zombies are quit scary looking). i haven't seen a lot of horror movies but this has to be the best!! looking very forward to zombieland 2!!!
Kid, 12 years old July 22, 2010

ZOM-BE-LAND (!you'll be suprised!)

Although this was a bloody horror comedy, i watched it and im a 12 year old boy. I handled it . It was bloody and maybe a few mini-jump scenes. The first time you watch it u might feel scared whether somethings gonna pop-up, but after you've watched it once, other than the blood , its not that bad. But it does swear here-and-there. The good thing is that beside the blood,horror,story-line, the makers fortunately made it funny, so funny that it makes u laugh and it gets a "Horror Comedy" . For me it was less horror, more comedy, yet blood .
Teen, 15 years old Written byChambear November 26, 2009

THE zombie spoof.

This is the funniest zombie spoof ever created. It is all about a cautious, Michael Cera type young adult named Columbus who meets the tough, southern attitude Tallahassee, and they meet two con sisters named Wichita and Little Rock, and their adventures together and seperated. Though this does front fairly frequent f-bombs, graphic violence (fake though), and some brief drug use, it is really a funny, clever, original comedy that musn't be missed!
Written byAnonymous July 11, 2010

ON for 15+

What great one! Yes, it is violent, but rightfully so. It IS a zombie movie, but there is a lot of team-building themes within it as well. The raunch factor is surprisingly low, but the language and violence are considerably high. The dialogue is snappy, and constantly one-upping the previous line. Plus, the violence is very realistic and not overdone. In all, Zomieland should be considered a classic. 4 stars.
Adult Written byalibi13 October 3, 2009

The violence is a little more realistic then some movies but not over the top

All the language and violence is not anything you haven't seen before. The swearing was almost natural in the way that it was appropriate to the context in which was said. The zombie gore and violence was no different then 28 days/weeks later, just this movie had more spattering then just shooting. The comedy was different then shuan of the dead was still really funny. It wasn't making fun of zombies (too much) as much as the characters where just being funny.
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2010

This film is rooted in reality in the way that the humans supposedly turned into zombies from a really bad infection of Mad Cow disease. I don't have any concerns with this film. Yes, it is very, very gory, but it is done in a very unrealistic way. I don't get why product placement is such a big deal because films never ever make me want to go and buy something unless I already like the product. That cbeing said, the main story line involves the hunt for the final Twinkie in the universe. Sex is not an issue in this film. There is a zombie stripper at one point, with pasties and thongs, but nothing too bad. What is the problem with kissing? That's the closest they get to having any sort of intimacy on screen. A lie surfaces when Columbus and Talahassee first meet: Columbus suupposedly 'made love in the back of an abandoned Fed-Ex truck'. Bad language is very frequent in this film, but the words are not all that bad. If you are religious, there is a lot of blasphemine in this film which will put you off viewing it. I myself am a 12, soon to be 13 year old girl, but this is already my favourite film, and I have watched it 5 times already. If you like Shaun Of The Dead, you have to watch this! If you haven't seen Shaun Of The Dead but love this, you have to see SOTD!
Adult Written byTy3401 March 3, 2010

This movie kept me and my wife entertained and laughing throughout it's duration. It was obviously a comedy with gore and violence, however, for an adult it wasn't scary at all. It has one short nude scene in the begining credits. So if you don't want nudity in the home just skip the credits in the begining and you won't hardly have any sexual content for the rest of the movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum October 4, 2009

Like a twinkie, tasty but not good for young tummies.

This is a very entertaining movie, more comedy than horror. Youth will be attracted to both, but some of the humour and scary scenes are innapropriate for any age under late-teens. Otherwise, just the sort of fare teens would greatly enjoy seeing together! See my review on YouTube: "Gab reviews Zombieland"!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byFatherOfOne October 20, 2009

Fantastic film, will alert children to danger of zombies

Zombieland takes the very real zombie threat and manages to make it into a comedy not quite so different from the British effort Shaun of the Dead. It's hilarious and violent, yet educational, as it shows kids that zombies are also dangerous. I teach my thirteen-year old son to always be prepared, and as such, I have given him a shotgun and a plan.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymovielover123 October 2, 2009

good for older teens not for young peoples

it was a very funny movie. violence was a big part in it and so was language. i give it a 4 out of 5. i loved it and if your a big fan of shaun of the dead you will love this movie
Adult Written byPoefan October 14, 2009

Funny!

Wow, this was a really good zombie movie with tons of humor and wit. It is a tad violent though, but 13 year olds should be able to handle it.
Kid, 12 years old December 6, 2009

THIS IS THE BEST FILM OF THE YEAR!!!! FUNNY AND SCARY!!! BUT DW BOUT THE VIOLENCE. THERE ISNT THAT MUCH! 13+
Teen, 13 years old Written byTJ 1o1 October 9, 2009

it all depends on your kids age

this movie is hillarious it was very well written and fun to watch.....however it is very gross if you are sensetive it might make you gag, and kids 11 and under may be scared by it and there is ALOT of blood...but im 13 and I thought it was awsome,funny,and really good,so if you hane teens its a 4sure but if you have kids it a no-no..lol but I really recomend it this movie is now in my top 10 favorites...p.s. alot of F@#* bombs used
Teen, 13 years old Written byheavymetalchick April 8, 2011

Too gory for under 13. But hilarious for a Horror Comedy

This movie is hilarious, I am 13 and i loved it when i was 11. But, I watch movies that are gory, and has lots of language. This movie has the F-word in it constantly, and plenty other words. I would not recommend this movie for people who get sick over the sight of blood. Trust me, there is tons of blood in this movie. But its funny, its a horror comedy. I loved it, and its one of my favorite movies.